Anybody Using Insulated Booties At Night?

Jauwater

WKR
I recently picked up a pair of Wild Things Insulated Booties to add to my sleep system. Has anyone had issues with your feet sweating to the point were the evaporation against the foot causes your feet to be colder, while wearing the booties? I feel like this is gonna be an issue with me. So I was thinking, maybe just a really thin pair of socks w/ the booties at night, or maybe a pair of thick wool socks that fits loosely, and breathes? Maybe you got rid of the booties all together? Any info on dialing these in before I spend a few nights on the mountain would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
For colder temps I use the booties outside of my bag and my wool socks for sleeping but I usually have a bag that is rated well below the temps I expect.

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
For colder temps I use the booties outside of my bag and my wool socks for sleeping but I usually have a bag that is rated well below the temps I expect.
I put together a somewhat ultralight bag for backpacking trips, and my sleeping bag for this particular setup is good to around 20 degrees. Even up in the mountains around here the temps rarely get into the single digits. The coldest I've ever had this system down to was about 5 degrees. It was mainly my feet giving me problems, which led me to look into booties. I'd reckon though, once it hits below freezing, in this particular sleep system I doubt the booties will add enough warmth to make my feet sweat. Probably make my feet just comfortable enough to sleep with around 10 degrees or maybe alittle colder. Imma hit the hills next weekend, and give it a try with different socks each night, and see what gives me the best results. Thanks for your time, it's appreciated.

I got some EE Apex booties and can tell my feet might sweat. My plan is to do thin socks and see. Let us know how yours do and anything you learn.

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
I got some EE Apex booties and can tell my feet might sweat. My plan is to do thin socks and see. Let us know how yours do and anything you learn.
Yessir, will do

I have some EE booties and love them. Never worry about my feet sweating but I get cold very easily, especially my feet. Overall I’m happy with them in my WM Badger even on average cold nights.

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
These socks pictured below perform really well. They don't last very long though, being a Ragg Wool sock. And they don't stay up on their own either. Really work best in a high boot. But with that said, they keep your feet warm, and surprisingly dry for a semi-thicker sock. One of my ex-girlfriends dad turned me into them. Been buying them ever since.

Imma give these ones a try with the booties. And then a thinner blend of sock.
fd0a0ce6dcb2c562f173e643e3882893.jpg

Ragg wool is amazing stuff, old school and still cool. I wore ragg wool mittens in -13 degrees in WY last year and my hands were comfortable. May give those socks a try. Darn Tough are quality socks, but the weave style is not as warm as Farm to Feet, etc.

@DosPerros - I usually am wearing a fresh pair of my merino wool socks. I try to change out socks every night and morning. Socks is one place I don’t care about weight. So I carry 3 pair and do a rotation allowing either a night or day for drying. If that makes sense. So one on me, and 2 in my pack.

I typically pack in with two pairs of socks, one on my feet and one in my pack. I hunt in one and sleep in the other, just to keep the sweaty feet funk out of my down quilt. I can swap if I get an opportunity to wash in a creek or if one gets wet. And then last day I switch to the new ones for the pack out. I justified the weight of the down booties because I was packing in a warmer thicker pair of socks just for sleeping, so now I just have two pairs of the same sock and the booties. Same weight and more function, and hopefully warmer. The one time I tried them though I had my 0 deg bag with me and while it was cold it wasn't that cold and my feet started sweating.

slick

WKR
@Clarktar He used some in WY this past season and I was jealous enough to order my gf and I a pair each for Christmas. Looking forward to reading through this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I sleep cold, and my feet especially. I've got some ID Hot Socks which have since become Rab Hot Socks and I use them most of the time unless temps are above 40 at night.

You can get dirt cheap down booties on Amazon. I have a pair of these, and they are great.
AEGISMAX Down Booties Down Socks Warm Soft Slippers Down Filled Slipper Boots Indoor Warm Down Slippers Plus Size for Men Black, by wujin sports&outdoor
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07573SX9Y/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Q1ytEbGJCFA7R
Down Booties.jpg

For even colder nights, and for moving about a bit (they have a thin sole on them, unlike the pari above), I also have $75 Western Mountaineering 850 down booties. The size they send for size 10 shoes feels huge, but my guess is that they do that to make sure you don't compress the down.