Anyone a fish and game officer?

I am finishing up my bachelors degree in criminal justice and someday I would like to become a fish and game officer. I live in Utah. The problem I have is that in 2016 I was arrested and charged with domestic violence. I was working as a correctional officer at the time and lost my job and POST certification. I can expunge my record and restore my gun privileges in 2022. Just wondering if anyone has some advice or if this is still a possibility for me. I have emailed several states about it and some say domestic violence is an automatic disqualification. I am 28 years old with a wife and 3 kids. I am working construction right now but I don’t wanna do that forever.
I appreciate any help or advice. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
I'd kick butt in the construction field vs fish and game officer. I know quite a few good guys in construction, seems like a good profession. I only say this because you said any and all advice welcome. 3 kids probably going to keep you pretty busy too, congrats.

I'm not an officer but know a couple.
They love their jobs but both have second jobs and wives work. Plus they are always working instead of hunting it seems.

BadDogPSD

WKR
Not one, but know a few. Pay isn't the best, work long hours, and when we are hunting, they are working. Hunting season is their busiest time.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I am not a Fish and Game Officer but I have worked in LE. It is very unlikely you would ever be hired with a domestic violence conviction. The fact that it happened while you were working in corrections and lost your POST certification makes it even more unlikely. The field is very competitive and there will be plenty of applicants that wont have any convictions. Honestly I would move on and find a career outside of law enforcement/criminal justice. If it's not too late I'd look into switching your major and getting a degree in something other than criminal justice.

nrh6.7

WKR
Don't know about there, but here you do it because you have the desire for the job...not the salary. Good luck either way!

Last edited:

Justenfl

FNG
I can almost guarantee that you wouldn't get hired with that on your record. And that goes for pretty much any kind of Le./first responder career.

BluMtn

WKR
Having been in LE, you will have a hard time getting hired for any position that involves working for a government agency in a public capacity. Not knowing or caring about the details you will have a big check mark on your resume due to anger management. It sucks but those are the cards you have been delt. With a degree in criminal justice you could look at working as a probation officer possibly.

87TT

WKR
Probably not going to happen. You can get it expunged but it will still be there as far as back round and will have to be reported. During a criminal history search by the hiring agency it will be there. Plus if you don't disclose it, you will be lying and be DQ'ed anyway.

I am not a Fish and Game Officer but I have worked in LE. It is very unlikely you would ever be hired with a domestic violence conviction. The fact that it happened while you were working in corrections and lost your POST certification makes it even more unlikely. The field is very competitive and there will be plenty of applicants that wont have any convictions. Honestly I would move on and find a career outside of law enforcement/criminal justice. If it's not too late I'd look into switching your major and getting a degree in something other than criminal justice.

Very good advice.

ClearCreek

Having been in LE, you will have a hard time getting hired for any position that involves working for a government agency in a public capacity. Not knowing or caring about the details you will have a big check mark on your resume due to anger management. It sucks but those are the cards you have been delt. With a degree in criminal justice you could look at working as a probation officer possibly.

That still requires POST certification, at least in my state. I worked IT for probation and parole and they are just another LEO.

JWP58

WKR
LE here. At any agency you'd want to work for a DV arrest is an auto no-go.

All is not lost hvac, electricians, and plumbers make good money, and are in demand. Plus people will be glad to see you, and not hate your existence.

OP
cody21peterson
Thanks for the advice guys. The only state I have found that may still be possible is Colorado. They have a variance process you can ask for a pardon if it is in the best interest of the public. I wonder if there is something I can do with the degree besides police work?

gwl79902

WKR
I am an LE in Oregon and think you will not pass a background here, at least for any of the mid to bigger agencies.

I just payed an electrician 1500 for half a days work. I think I pick the wrong job!

bdg848

WKR
As far as what you can do with the degree you have now, maybe corporate security? Not "mall cop" but mid level security for a larger corporation. I had a professor who was formerly the head of security for a large company producing machinery/farm equipment and such (you would know it). He said it was pretty much like being a corporate cop. You investigate company thefts, fraud, policy violations, investigating drug dealers within the factories and other possible security issues (disgruntled ex-employees etc). They set up security plans for trade shows/conventions/ VIP board meetings as well. I will be looking into this when I retire from LE because I don't think I want to be on the streets when im 60 something.

Other than that, There are a lot of careers that "require a degree" but they don't necessarily care what field your degree is in, you just have to have one to satisfy the requirement.

Work for yourself doing construction. Make 5 times the money a game warden makes, Plus, have time to hunt if that is legal for you. But, You are never going to be a LE officer with a DV conviction if there is any kind of back ground check associated with the job. Clean record or not.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Take care and God Bless

amassi

WKR
Thanks for the advice guys. The only state I have found that may still be possible is Colorado. They have a variance process you can ask for a pardon if it is in the best interest of the public. I wonder if there is something I can do with the degree besides police work?

Power plant security

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
If you were convicted of domestic violence, you should go with plan B, maybe the trades or something other than law enforcement