anyone addicted to energy drinks?

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
I drink a pot of black coffee a day. Never used to really drink it but now I go to school for 5 hours a day, 4 days a week, and study for an additional few hours a night, and I work fri-sat 6am-3pm at a busy down town restaurant and the coffee is free and ready all day long haha I dont have sleep in days.
It makes me wonder, are there any negative health affects from just plain black coffee besides caffeine addiction?

I talked to my doc about that and he said they keep looking for negative health issues but never can come up with any. He told me to get off the amp and drink as much coffee as I want. The caffeine is not the issue, its all of the sugar and other crap in "fancy" coffee and energy drinks. I just have a hard time drinking coffee when it is warm outside.

littlebuf

Banned
I was and gave them up about a year ago. I was drinking just one a day but still if I didn't have one I would get head aches and need to stop and get a monster. I refuse to be dependent on anything, one reason I stopped smoking all those years ago. so I stopped drinking energy drinks. for months I wouldn't even let myself have one, now once in a great while (like maybe once a month) when one sounds good ill grab one for the drive to the woods. I don't know there long term affect, all the crap in them there has to be one. but I stopped drinking them when I was drinking them because I had too, not wanted too. anything like that is a bad thing

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I talked to my doc about that and he said they keep looking for negative health issues but never can come up with any. He told me to get off the amp and drink as much coffee as I want. The caffeine is not the issue, its all of the sugar and other crap in "fancy" coffee and energy drinks. I just have a hard time drinking coffee when it is warm outside.

My doc and I had the same talk. He said there was a time where "they" thought too much coffee caused kidney stones, but after some research, it turned out not to be the coffee, but associated dehydration and oxalate-rich foods. He did say too much caffeine can have other secondary problems including sleep pattern problems and dehydration. It seems to be one of the safer vices out there.

7mag.

WKR
Yes, I am addicted to Red Bull. I try and have one a day, sometimes two, but they are the small ones, 8.4 oz. I gave up tobacco years ago, pop a few months ago. I eat very little sweets, but Red Bull is my guilty pleasure. I don't like coffee, so I have a Red Bull on the way to work every morning. I know I need to quit, but I don't want to, I enjoy my one unhealthy treat a day. I think for me, quitting Red Bull may be as tough as quitting Copenhagen was.

Hardstalk

WKR
Caffiene and nicotine. Definetly a few of my vices. For years it was 2-3 amps a day over the last several months work and competition has slowed immensely. Giving me the opportunity to step out of the fast lane. Its also quite the reality check when you start adding up the wifes starbucks my caffeine and nicotine she now has a cup of coffee on her way to work. (Home brewed) and I buy the sugarfree rockstar by the case at sams/costco but limit myself to one a day. Yesterday was my first relapse in ove a month! An amp before I started my day 6:00 am and a 16 oz redbull around noon. Had 500 miles to drive and knew I wasnt gonna make it on e. ended my day @ midnight and was able to maintain with the redbull. God I love me some redbull!

Last edited:
OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i can't buy monster or energy drinks in general in bulk for money savings. i have absolutely zero control over myself and ill drink one after another if i do that, probably until i have had 3 to 5 of them which is pretty significant. i even buy two at a time saying the next one is for tomorrow so i dont have to stop for one....well as soon as im done with the one i have to drink the other, i just cannot get a grip and stop if they are accessible to me.

they don't really have any noticeable effects on me at least as far as jitters or that type of thing, but it has to be doing something on the inside, there is too much crazy stuff in there not to. not to mention, your endurance is so much better when you're not addicted to caffeine, i never used to drink it as a high school athlete because of how easily tired i would get even in shape. it still has that effect on me now when playing city league basketball, i notice a huge difference if i am not drinking caffeine on a regular basis. i guess that's a noticeable effect but i dont think many people realize it can effect endurance also. i have also noticed that i am tired in the mornings when addicted, a few months ago i quit for a month and found myself waking up laying there in the morning not tired at all and ready to get up and start my day.

we'll see how long i quit this time, hopefully for good because i know the energy drinks just aren't healthy.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Yes, I am addicted to Red Bull. I try and have one a day, sometimes two, but they are the small ones, 8.4 oz. I gave up tobacco years ago, pop a few months ago. I eat very little sweets, but Red Bull is my guilty pleasure. I don't like coffee, so I have a Red Bull on the way to work every morning. I know I need to quit, but I don't want to, I enjoy my one unhealthy treat a day. I think for me, quitting Red Bull may be as tough as quitting Copenhagen was.

i think anything this difficult to quit almost has to be unhealthy! that's my biggest problem with this, is i know i "should" quit, but i dont want to....makes it that much harder when the want isnt there.

Lukem

WKR
i think anything this difficult to quit almost has to be unhealthy! that's my biggest problem with this, is i know i "should" quit, but i dont want to....makes it that much harder when the want isnt there.
That's me and Mountain Dew. I know I should quit, but that sweet nectar tastes so good!

Hardstalk

WKR
That's me and Mountain Dew. I know I should quit, but that sweet nectar tastes so good!

I call it "happy juice". The "tunnel vision" is something I look forward to. The smell is so tantalizing I cant help but leave the empty can in my truck. Ive walked into a gas station and said "just gas, keep your eye on the prize. Dont even look at the cooler full of wonderment and happiness" and then opun check out these nifty little store owners like to put these advertisements and coolers within reach of the men trying to control their addiction and get me every damn time! "I dont NEED an increased heart rate" I say. "I dont NEED to get my entire honey do list done today" ahh but they taste amazing. Whats one gonna hurt.....

jmez

WKR
I think they taste like cough syrup. I can hardly stand the smell of them and no way I could drink a whole can.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
I think they taste like cough syrup. I can hardly stand the smell of them and no way I could drink a whole can.

drink 1 can a day for 2 weeks, there is a good chance you will be addicted also, and eventually they will taste good because of the addiction, it's very strange...i also used to have a major mt dew addiction. if i quit for a month and then try one it just tastes like syrup, drink a few more each day for the next few days again and they are awesome again.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys should try brewing your coffee in the morning with Redbull...you get shit DONE!

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Yep......Endorush is my drink of choice!

I like them enough that I pack them in with me on hunts:)

i think that is like those VPX Redline drinks, talk about some serious jitters, i used those when i was in some really boring classes but i was so amped i felt drunk.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I drank Redline before, but it wasn't strong enough, so I switched to methamphetamine's, but that didn't do it either....so I ended up with Endorush:)
i think that is like those VPX Redline drinks, talk about some serious jitters, i used those when i was in some really boring classes but i was so amped i felt drunk.