anyone addicted to energy drinks?

sk1

WKR
i just read the copenhagen post and thought i would ask who has a guilty pleasure of energy drinks.....mine is monster. i have quit them and caffeine several times, sometimes for months at a time but always come back to it and usually twice as hard. I know it sounds really dumb but it's a serious addiction for me, i swear it's like my cocaine. I want one all the time, as soon as im done with one i want another. I often spend around $200 a month on them and still want more. It just can't be healthy at all. So today I am quitting again for the 50th time or so, already took a half of a no-doze tablet this morning to wean my way off and not suffer through the brutal caffeine headaches. Through quitting many times I have realized this is the way to go. I really am amazed at the power they have over me mentally.

Anyone else addicted to these?

and on a second note, does anyone have a good caffeine free drink recommendation to help replace the urge for an energy drink or mountain dew? I've tried juice and fruit punches, so far the best thing I've used is sugar free pop with splenda and no caffeine just to trick myself into think im at least drinking a carbonated caffeine beverage of some sort.

i cant be the only one that loves energy drinks!

jherald

WKR
When i was a fishing guide it was coffee in the mornings and red bull during the day. Then i went to coffee in the am and sugar free red bulls. Now i've gone to just one coffee in the am and one coffee sometime before 2pm, then no coffee after that. I'm working 12-14 hour shifts daily at my job now and i need the coffee just to make it through the day.

Hunting, starbucks hot chocolate packets with vias coffee. Improvised mochas! I am a coffee addict.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I have a big addiction haha. Every day I have - 1 BSN Endorush, 1-2 Xyience and 1-3 cups of coffee. And a gallon of water to weigh it out.

I love coffee, it isn't even that it keeps me "awake." I have what you would consider an addition. 1-2 pots a day.

Slim Jim

WKR
I used to drink 2 monsters every day. I started having heart palpitations and dizzy a lot so I quit this past fall. I'm not going to lie it was very hard. I still drink coffee every morning and a fountain diet coke everyday. I'm trying to give up the diet coke but I can't seem to. Must be addicted, damn caffeine!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does black coffee count as an energy drink?

If so, then yes I am addicted.

Me too, except I need a little milk in mine.

Funny because I never drank coffee until I started working 12 hour shifts in a hospital....now I don't start my day without a cuppa.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Me too, except I need a little milk in mine.

Funny because I never drank coffee until I started working 12 hour shifts in a hospital....now I don't start my day without a cuppa.

I am down to 2 a day.

Problem is that is pots, not cups.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am down to 2 a day.

Problem is that is pots, not cups.

Yikes!

I got tired of having caffeine headaches on the days I didn't work, so now on work days i have cut back to one or maybe two cups in the morning, and a cup of half caff in the afternoon if I must. Most of my days off or when backpacking I just do a single cup in the morning and I am good to go. I can definitely tell when I have over caffienated, as I get a buzzing in my head now that isn't much fun.

Use a keurig at home to make coffee by the cup, keeps me from drinking a whole pot just to keep from throwing out perfectly good coffee!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to drink monsters everyday until medic school and I watched what it did to a healthy 26 year olds heart.

Art Vandeley

Lil-Rokslider
I am addicted to coffee. I don't even think it gives me energy I drink a cup or two in the evening and can fall asleep just fine. I sure like the taste though

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
Amp (grape) energy for me. I try for only 1 a day but lately that is not cutting it with the hours I work between carpentry and building strings. I make silly excuses like its not so bad if I can go 6-7 hours between them. Don't really have any other vices so I use that to justify it as well.

When I drove a truck for Budweiser I would drink 2-3 a day and sometimes more. I quit drinking them years ago and I am better for it. I drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning and that is it. My aunt is a nurse and can't say enough bad things about energy drinks!

mtnkid85

WKR
Yep, I did too. I use to stop at a little shop on my way to school EVERY morning and buy a Rockstar, then I started buying them by the case from Costco. I was drinking 2-3 per day when I finally decided to quit.
They never really effected me I don't think, but just when ever I was sitting in class or working I would start craving having one to sip on.

Redbull was the only one that ever made me jittery or anxious. On a rare occasion Ill grab a redbull to get me home from a long drive or something, but now every time I open one... I think to my self "Yuck I don't even want to finish this".

Jon Boy

WKR
I drink a pot of black coffee a day. Never used to really drink it but now I go to school for 5 hours a day, 4 days a week, and study for an additional few hours a night, and I work fri-sat 6am-3pm at a busy down town restaurant and the coffee is free and ready all day long haha I dont have sleep in days.
It makes me wonder, are there any negative health affects from just plain black coffee besides caffeine addiction?