Anyone attach a portable carport/garage tent to their camper at elk camp?

Finch

WKR
Trying something different this year and taking the family to CO the last week of archery season. For now, the plan is to take the popup and we will be staying at a state park. Some have recommended against taking the family but my wife is game and I'm done trying to talk her out of it.

Main question is this. Has anyone here attached one of those portable carports/garages to their camper to increase "living space"? I found a deal on a used one like this. https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-62860.html

I envision setting it up right at the entrance door to our popup. It would be extra space for food prep, storage, etc. Good idea or bad? Trying to make the most out of taking the pop up along.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
I found a great deal on a portable carport at yard sale several years ago. It was so cheap I didn't mind cutting a hole in one of the end walls for a stove jack. I don't think my group of elk hunters have ever made the trek west with out the "cook tent" since I bought it. We set up a picnic table in the tent, a wood stove, and the camp kitchen. Great place to hang out and dry out after a rainy day. We have a great place to eat breakfast and dinner. The only drawback is it is sort of a pain to haul it. The poles are about 2 inches too long to lay straight in the back of my truck.. Good idea.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I found a great deal on a portable carport at yard sale several years ago. It was so cheap I didn't mind cutting a hole in one of the end walls for a stove jack. I don't think my group of elk hunters have ever made the trek west with out the "cook tent" since I bought it. We set up a picnic table in the tent, a wood stove, and the camp kitchen. Great place to hang out and dry out after a rainy day. We have a great place to eat breakfast and dinner. The only drawback is it is sort of a pain to haul it. The poles are about 2 inches too long to lay straight in the back of my truck.. Good idea.

Just the type of feedback I was wanting to hear. What do you use to stake it in the ground? Specific anchor type if you can recall.

BluMtn

WKR
My FIL's elk camp has two of those that they setup and use one as a cook shack and the other as a warming shack. Got a stove in the warming one with table and chairs. easy to put up and take down and cheap. they have PVC pipe for the frame and use tent stacks to nail it to the ground.

Works great for a mess tent in elk country. It is a pain to haul, bit heavy, we made a wooden box so we dont lose parts. Do not forget the dewalt cordless there about 150-200 bolts to tighten.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Yes. Mine is basically the poles of a Davis wall tent for the frame, then I drape a 12x20 or so canvas tarp over it and stake it down. I refer to it as an entry way as I set it up next to the entrance to the wall tent. Works great for cooking, keeping coolers out of the direct sunlight, etc.

Should work good. I had one of those blow over in a wind storm in Montana though. It bent the metal angle brackets and folded it sideways. It was toast after that. It should be okay if you stake it down well and camp in an area that isn't too exposed. Mountain wind gusts come by surprise and pack a punch. Best to be prepared for them.

wytx

WKR
It's hard to see but we had a side room made for our popup several years ago. It has brackets welded or screwed to the side and the canvas tent slides into the awning bracket. Has tent pole frame and works extremely well with a wood stove for heat, we unzipped the side windows to let the heat in the camper.
The whole setup is going to be sold this summer in Laramie.16037_101261519897639_1143931_n.jpg

boom

WKR
i just put up an "easy-up" type tent nearby. it wont nestle up against the popup neatly because of the height decrepencies. but it was nice having a nice place to sit and cook under. a lantern hanging from an easy-up is super bright since it is reflecting all that light back down.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
i just put up an "easy-up" type tent nearby. it wont nestle up against the popup neatly because of the height decrepencies. but it was nice having a nice place to sit and cook under. a lantern hanging from an easy-up is super bright since it is reflecting all that light back down.

I think I'm going to go this route. The portable carport sold and took a bit to set up from what I read. We already have one of the easy up tents when we first started camping. I think it will do the job.

Thanks everyone.

Just be sure to stake it down REALLY well. We have used these camping for years to cover picnic tables (at camp grounds). Make for great areas to hang out if it is raining. We used the screw in dog stakes and plenty of them.

I made the mistake of setting one up in my back yard here in Idaho one time for a cookout. Set it up the night before and got distracted and did not stake it down. Well wind came up during the night and it ended up about .25 miles away in a hay field bent to hell. Cleared a 4 foot high fence so it was pretty airborne at times. Then again, we see trampoline kites quite often here in Idaho as well.....

Some guys camping next to used one as their wall tent. They tied an extra tarp over the top to keep the rain out. it had ropes and steaks EVERYWHERE. They said it took a half day to set up. It was really nice and had tons of room. But just too much work for me.

Laramie

WKR
We set up campers and wall tents but never immediately next to each other. It's nice to get away from the group when someone wants to go to bed while the others are still being loud.