Anyone been bit by a rattlesnake in back country?

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Wasn't bitten, but the timber rattler in my profile picture was sitting in the middle of the trail when I was 7 miles deep on a backpacking trip. I was in chaco's collecting firewood and saw it just in time to take a giant step backwards.

It didn't acknowledge me until I flung it off the trail with a stick.

HbDane

WKR
Stepped over this pacific Rattler opening weekend, never rattled, and the heel of my boot landed about 3" in front of him. My hunting partner pointed him out as he was about to step on him.0903221041_HDR~2.jpg0903221041_HDR~3.jpg

I've been scared of them my whole life. To an irrational, embarassing level. We don't have any where I live, last week I saw my first rattler on a MD hunt. It was almost 100 degrees and he was barely hanging on. I was 6 ft from him and he never acknowledged my presence. I'd like to say I overcame my fear but I doubt it. lol

manitou1

WKR
Have not been bit by any venomous snakes. Been around plenty of them. I’ve been bit a few times by pythons and a gartersnake.

My dog is vaccinated and I keep some DMSO on hand. I listened to a quail hunting podcast that had a Texas veterinarian that treats a lot of snake bites. I can’t remember what the podcast was called. The veterinarian recommended getting your dog vaccination, avoidance trained, and have DMSO. He said spray the DMSO on the bite and get to the puppy hospital. It was an interesting and very informative conversation, wish I could remember who and where it was.

The local beach is crawling with rattle snakes behind the dunes. It’s not uncommon to see several at night while walking back to the bay to gig flounder. Have a bright headlight(and a backup), walk slow, and stay on the trail if there is one. All the ones I’ve come across on summer nights were actively hunting and paid little attention to me if you gave them space and let them carry on about their kangaroo rat hunting.
What is DSMO?

DuckDogDr

WKR
We have an abundance of all varieties where I live..and I HATE them. We had a technician with real bad asbergers(sp?) .. super smart and skilled but couldn’t tell when people were messing with him
They talked him into putting a garter snake in my face … let’s just say the entire clinic .. clients and all herd me falling over the desks and filing cabinets while screaming every cuss word at him…

My actual area -copperheads and timber rattlers aplenty and our Timbers get HUGE. I’ll have to see if I can find pictures of the one ran over just a mile from my house.. Also have water moccasins and about 2 hours south you start getting into Eastern Diamond back territory.

I personally have been tagged 2x by copperheads. First time one struck at me .. just missed and it’s bottom jaw hit my hand vs the fangs.. when I jumped back and started speaking in tongues I stepped on its partner but got a dry bite in the calf….stuff of fuggin nightmares
Next year almost a year to the day was 5 am and outside barfing with food poisoning under the magnolia tree .. barfing and not paying attention got tagged on the foot… went to the ER with that one

Had a timber rattler buzz me in woods which is a very unsettling experience

Last year we treated something like 1,300 snake bites in the veterinary ER. As a general rule only about 25% of our confirmed copperhead bites needed antivenin . Water moccasin bites are definitely worse and 1-3 vials
Our rattlesnake bites are visibly sick and usually require 4-+ vitals of antivenin. Not scientific at all but have noticed either bites don’t swell seem to go in the blood stream and clinically those dogs do worse..or the ones that get hit in the muscle and swell like a water balloon.. still require same amount of antivenin and usually cause a lot of necrosis but will live with prolonged wound care

I share your concerns and down here wear snake boots in summer. Just be extra cautious

You have time to get to ER .. but don’t delay
As others have said satellite phones not a bad idea

Last edited:
I was struck in the hand by a baby rattle snake. His timing was off or I was just lucky, it broke the skin but didn’t puncture, just a little scratch. Freaked me out about to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did it get you in the hand?

I have an equally strong fear of grizzlies
Lol. I’ve have bear encounters two years in a row now and it ain’t hard to hit a charging grizzly with a 300WM…. Those slithering ropes are sneaky… give me the creeps. I guess this is the definition of “better have the devil you know over the devil you don’t” lol

Been fortunate enough here to Wyoming that most of the snakes will try and distance themselves and only strike when you mess with them for a bit. The most aggressive ones I've seen are the ones hanging out in the desert, especially on the the dirt roads. The mountain rattlers really aren't something to be too nervous about.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
A couple close calls this past year. September elk in the front range had a pretty big rattler let us know he was there about 8ft away. No big deal and continue up the trail to get to our spot. The trail slims down and is knee high grass and scrub oak. 50 yards ahead as I’m now carrying a walking stick ruffling the ground ahead of me a small field to my left opens up and I hear multiple rattles going off. One within 3ft of me and we were able to hear 3 more within 10-15th in different areas of the field. The closest was a baby rattler. We knew going in that there is a known den near by and it was a 95 degree day with a creek down the trail. But we had been stomping through there in the spring time off trail shed hunting and setting up game cameras in shorts.

Prior to that hunting season my dad and I were fishing on a trail that’s about 3 miles back in. I had a second fly rod with me I sat down against a Boulder that was about 10ft from the river with a Boulder field behind it. Another 90 degree day. I was rustling around down by the water through some grass and came back to pick up my other rod. As I put my hand around the rod I realized there was a coiled up rattler under the rod inches from my hand. I’ve never moved so damn fast. I flung back running into the river screaming like a littler girl and my dad upriver thought I was being attacked by a mountain lion lol. I hate snakes.

Has anyone been bit in the hills? One my biggest fears since I hike tons of miles during the summers in western Colorado. I’ve been wearing taller Crispi guide boots and am curious if a snake would penetrate or not. Also anybody had their dog bitten? Surprised I hadn’t seen the topic come up much.
Just for everyone's edification: If someone is bitten by a snake, you need to seek medical attention as soon as possible. In the meantime, there are a few steps you can take to help manage the situation and potentially reduce the severity of the bite:

Stay calm and keep the affected limb immobilized: Moving around too much can cause the venom to spread more quickly throughout the body. Keep the affected limb still and at or below the level of the heart to slow the spread of venom.

Remove any restrictive clothing or jewelry: This can help prevent swelling in the affected area.

Clean the wound: If possible, gently clean the bite wound with soap and water. This can help remove any dirt or bacteria that may have entered the wound.

Apply a bandage or splint: If you have a bandage or splint available, apply it to the affected limb to keep it immobilized.

Do not attempt to suck out the venom: This is a common myth and will actually make the situation worse by introducing bacteria into the wound and potentially cause the venom to spread more quickly.

Do not apply ice or a tourniquet: These can also make the situation worse by interfering with blood flow and potentially causing tissue damage.

manitou1

WKR
Yup. Four miles into the back country and a rattler bites me.
1st: How do you remain calm after a rattler bites you?
Second: How do you keep your heart rate down when you have to hike out four miles? And... how do you keep your heart rate down after bitten by a poisonous snake?🥴

Always got a kick out of these guidelines.

Yup. Four miles into the back country and a rattler bites me.
1st: How do you remain calm after a rattler bites you?
Second: How do you keep your heart rate down when you have to hike out four miles? And... how do you keep your heart rate down after bitten by a poisonous snake?

Always got a kick out of these guidelines.

Great points.
Yeah, you should hopefully not be backpacking alone, so someone else can call/run for help, while you calm down and immobilize limbs.
But, ditching your gear to WALK for help is fine.
Calming yourself in stressful situations is a skill that needs to be practiced in all areas of life. Meditation helps. Learn to double the lengths of your exhales when doing deep breathing to slow your heart rate. Nasal breathing is always best.
Helicopter EMS is also a possibility, but that would probably be extremely expensive and unnecessary.
Know all nearby roads/trailheads during planning phases in case of emergencies.
Most snake bites are not lethal, it’s the people who do the things I mentioned NOT to do that typically die or have complications. You usually have several hours to get treatment before you start having a serious issues/swelling. However, you need to get medical help ASAP. Several studies on this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk