Anyone borrowed or loaned an inreach?

crich

WKR
Looking to possibly mail my inreach to a buddy to use this year for an elk hunt. Obviously it's registered with my info but has anyone done this before or used someone else's inreach? Im assuming he can download the explorer app, use my info and plug away and itd be no different than getting a new phone. Its a mini so the appcis ideal.

I thought about using my wifes phone to test it out but figured I'd ask here first. His wife is pregnant so I'm pretty much forcing him to use mine if it will work haha. We normally hunt together but I just moved 4500 miles away.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Yes, I let my buddy use mine without any problems. We setup the presets for him and he downloaded the app.

I have the insurance through Garmin, so if there were an issue and he needed to use the SOS he wouldn't be covered. But at least he could get help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've loaned my Explorer+ to a buddy a couple times. Preset messages and emergency contacts can only be changed by logging into the device owner's inReach account, so you’ll have to make those changes for him (or give him your inReach account login info). Then all he'll need to do is download the Earthmate app on his phone and Bluetooth-pair your inReach to his phone.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
Yes, I let my buddy use mine without any problems. We setup the presets for him and he downloaded the app.

I have the insurance through Garmin, so if there were an issue and he needed to use the SOS he wouldn't be covered. But at least he could get help.

I've loaned my Explorer+ to a buddy a couple times. Preset messages and emergency contacts can only be changed by logging into the device owner's inReach account, so you’ll have to make those changes for him (or give him your inReach account login info). Then all he'll need to do is download the Earthmate app on his phone and Bluetooth-pair your inReach to his phone.
I figured as much I appreciate the replies. Its pretty simple but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. 👍

I lent mine out to a buddy in AK, problem was getting back caused he liked it to much! He had been going out hunting with no service for years, would never think of doing that in AK

jduck

FNG
Do you actually get charged if needing to be rescued? You see on TV every once in awhile teams of people trying to find a lost or missing person in the mountains and I just assume if that particular person where to be found they aren't responsible for the cost associated with the rescue.

Do you actually get charged if needing to be rescued? You see on TV every once in awhile teams of people trying to find a lost or missing person in the mountains and I just assume if that particular person where to be found they aren't responsible for the cost associated with the rescue.
Typically SAR is volunteer and does not usually have a cost. But all they are doing is finding you.

If medical treatment is needed, life flight, ambulances etc respond they yes I would expect to file bankruptcy unless you have the add on insurance.

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
There are dollar limits to the plan you select when registering your service for the SOS function.

I’ll agree with everyone else, super easy to loan. Borrowed a buddies one year, then bought my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UtahJimmy

WKR
Whoever the inreach is registered to is responsible for the charges if sos is pressed fyi
Do you have the language in the contract that states this? Not trying to be a dick, just want to understand. Seems like the person who gets loaded into a helicopter would be billed, not the owner of the unit that dispatched the rescue.

Example: say I'm hunting with a buddy who breaks both his femurs in the backcountry. I own the inreach and ask for a rescue on his behalf. You're saying I'd be financially responsible?

Maybe I'm wrong thats what I had heard on a podcast. But guess they could be wrong.

Only other issue is what if the person you press it for says well I didn't need that.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Thanks for the link. This is a little ambiguous, but any aid and rescue costs are on the injured individual. Not sure what "fees" would kick in for trigger, but I would think they'd be minimal compared to the aid and rescue efforts?
06e9b94c69cc9aa1b7c0d3ed96f253f6.jpg

A quick video taken when you ask your buddy whether or not he wants you to trigger would absolve you of the he says she said issue.

ChrisInAK

FNG
Whoever the inreach is registered to is responsible for the charges if sos is pressed fyi
Oof. That’s really good to know. I may be a little more cautious who I lend it to, or at least let them know of the consequences.

Maybe have a lawyer draft something up before I lend it out. 😆

scout17

FNG
Im glad you posted this thread, I never even considered any of the financial implications of an inreach

Brooks

WKR
I didn’t have an inreach at the time but we had someone get hurt in the wilderness and the life flight out was $64,000 alone.

Poser

WKR
My my understanding is that the moment you are handed off to an ambulance, flight for life or similar, the rescue operation ceases and it becomes just that: a ambulance ride. With that in mind, charging the owner of the device for a 3rd party ambulance ride would be akin to charging the person who called 911 for another person who was in distress. If you come across someone in serious distress in the backcountry and you have a device, are you going to deny that person a SOS because of ambulance liability? In order for you to get the bill, the ambulance service would have to bill Garmin who would then bill you.

There is no logical sequence here where you would end up with the ambulance bill for a 3rd party. I’m not concerned about it.

CoStick

WKR
I would mention they will have access to all your previous messages and you will see theirs when it gets back to you. You may be able to delete, did not try..

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with Poser above. Also worth contacting your health insurance. I spoke with my insurance directly and as long as it was an emergency situation that required medical care they would cover life flight, ambulance etc. Where it became a gray area was if you took life flight etc. And it was determined not to be an emergency situation they could deny coverage for it.