Anyone build a shouse

CJohnson

WKR
Check out Kyle from RR buildings on YouTube. I think the way he builds them is the way to go. Not for me personally, but I could definitely see the utility in having one.

My experience is most insurance companies do not want to insure these type homes. I figure for the same reason finding financing can be a problem. Insurance companies do not like new or risk they have little or no experience with. Also the risk of having combustible items in such a structure is way higher than a traditional structure.
I was hopping the ones that have them would let us know the company they were able to obtain coverage with.
And for folks to check on insurance in the process of planning.
Insurance doesn’t like anything but premiums.

I hate to break it to the industry but, garages have the same stuff in them. No one can claim different. It’s just insurance policy writers wants the buyer to live in a rock, with no chance of anything going wrong. You use wood heat, you don’t get coverage. You use electric heat but, the unit was repaired 12 years ago, you don’t get coverage if the house burns down. A tree falls on your house, it’s an act of God. A 100 year rain cones and floods the driveway, you are screwed. Etc…. It’s the most insincere, crooked racket in America.

rclouse79

WKR
My original guess for a shouse was an outhouse, but they actually look pretty sweet.

Its funny there have a number of comments about women / wife's not having any interest in living in a "shouse" . I have a theory that there maybe a link between estrogen and what they hear vs men and testosterone. Women hear "shitttt- house" and men "shoppp-house" . Just a theory.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
@OP - We just finished ours. Prefer the term Barndominium. Our bank had no issues helping with the financing. Just use the right terms - metal sided home with an oversized garage. There are multiple online forums out there with suggestions/ideas. We looked at this method of building for several years before actually starting. Then this stupid pandemic hit and drove the prices to over double our planned budget. Still got it done though, for about 1/2 what a stick built home would have cost.

If you have questions or want to hear more about our experiences in building ourselves, PM me. Happy to help. It was a slog, navigating through material shortages, overwhelmed subs and dealing with bank deadlines while handling those other two but, we got it done.
20220621_055252.jpg

@OP - We just finished ours. Prefer the term Barndominium. Our bank had no issues helping with the financing. Just use the right terms - metal sided home with an oversized garage. There are multiple online forums out there with suggestions/ideas. We looked at this method of building for several years before actually starting. Then this stupid pandemic hit and drove the prices to over double our planned budget. Still got it done though, for about 1/2 what a stick built home would have cost.

If you have questions or want to hear more about our experiences in building ourselves, PM me. Happy to help. It was a slog, navigating through material shortages, overwhelmed subs and dealing with bank deadlines while handling those other two but, we got it done.
View attachment 435756
That’s livin’ right!!!!!

HaydenB

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a builder in the Texas Panhandle. We specialize in barndominiums, but build all types of homes. There really isn’t a huge price difference in barndos. If any body has any questions about it I’d be happy to share what I know.

Rich M

WKR
My wife wants a steel house. 170 mph wind rating is good news down here when the hurricanes come thru.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a builder in the Texas Panhandle. We specialize in barndominiums, but build all types of homes. There really isn’t a huge price difference in barndos. If any body has any questions about it I’d be happy to share what I know.
Do you build in New Mexico at all?