Anyone Buy A New 4Runner Recently?

Not familiar with KDSS--is that some type of factory-installed suspension upgrade? If so, which trim package do you need to get to have it included?
Regarding "gutless"--I think that might be at least, somewhat relative. I've never owned a vehicle with >215 HP, am a slower (read: old!) driver, so I don't think I'd be bothered by it.

I'll look into ebaymotors as part of my research.

Thanks again for the input, guys. By the way, love the pics!

Not sure which package offers the KDSS, but if possible drive one with, and one without. Take it into a turn. As mentioned, non KDSS vehicles in a curve feel like you're loosing control, like you're in a run away train as the runners are very heavy.

Not sure which package offers the KDSS, but if possible drive one with, and one without. Take it into a turn. As mentioned, non KDSS vehicles in a curve feel like you're loosing control, like you're in a run away train as the runners are very heavy.
I believe KDSS is only available on TRD and up.

Zbot

WKR
Just bought a ‘22 on Friday. Bought it off the transport truck, still wrapped in plastic, was supposed to be an order that was sent incorrectly. Hadn’t gone through intake or primary inspection yet and nothing was hooked up or working besides main mechanical. We had been out looking at other brands and just dropped by on a whim after burgers since it was nearby. Once people saw it brought out, there was huge interest and was a little pressed to buy since it would’ve been gone in hours but we were first in line.

We got lucky….every dealer we talked to was several months out on orders. She wanted a Bronco…..that’s a year wait right now.

SR5 Premium in Las Vegas

Yooper

WKR
Bought a 2021 4Runner Venture package back in September. Paid sticker price of $44ish. No extra markups or anything. My local dealer has quite a few in stock again the last I drove by there. Riverside Toyota in Marquette, MI.

Looking at one right now. Very nice suv. Going back and forth on it, the Bronco, or a Jeep Rubicon.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Just bought a ‘22 on Friday. Bought it off the transport truck, still wrapped in plastic, was supposed to be an order that was sent incorrectly. Hadn’t gone through intake or primary inspection yet and nothing was hooked up or working besides main mechanical. We had been out looking at other brands and just dropped by on a whim after burgers since it was nearby. Once people saw it brought out, there was huge interest and was a little pressed to buy since it would’ve been gone in hours but we were first in line.

We got lucky….every dealer we talked to was several months out on orders. She wanted a Bronco…..that’s a year wait right now.

SR5 Premium in Las Vegas
Mind sharing sticker and price paid info?

Titan_Bow

WKR
I'm finalizing a deal with Mountain States in Denver for 500 under MSRP. TRD Offroad Premium with KDSS and sunroof. Took just over a month to get one in allocation.

Tip - watch out for dealers that add markups like appearance packages for several thousand dollars. I think it's a way for them to add a markup without calling it one. https://www.markups.org/

You can also see the window sticker of new/used one by using this site: https://api.toyotainventory.com/VEHICLES/"INSERTVIN"/monroney

I had a great experience with Mountain States when I bought my 4Runner from them last year. Definitely going to purchase my next vehicle from them

Maverick1

WKR
Purchased a new-to-me 2007 4Runner, Limited, V8, with 100k miles in January of 2020 for $13,500. (Before the crazy price increases for used vehicles.)

Installed a 3"/2" Toytec lift and slightly larger tires (~30.6" -> ~32"; full size spare fits underneath vehicle).

Took it in the mountains the fall of 2020 and 2021 and it worked absolutely great! V8 power/torque for hills/incline, and improved ground clearance. Relatively easy terrain in 2020 and some pretty rough terrain in 2021.

I unbolt/remove the back seat bottom cushions to give me more room when going on longer road trips, which also allows me to sleep in the back. (2 bolts per seat cushion, comes out real easy.)

The newer Bronco's are a better rig, that being said rumor has it 23' will update the 4Runner substantially.

May pay to wait and explore your options -- that's what we're doing.

What are the updates? Anything transmission and engine?
To my knowledge nothing has been released, and our local Toyota dealer won't share anything with us other than "it's built on the Land Cruiser platform which was just redesigned..."

4 cylinder turbo‘d motor is the highly expected engine for the 23’. Clarify what you mean by “land cruiser platform” please as these are two entirely different platforms based on dimensions and weight. I don’t see this as a reality personally,

Titan_Bow

WKR
I like the fact that its still a somewhat dated, yet proven design. They've had plenty of years to work out any potential bugs or flaws, AND parts are generally available, and its not rocket science to work on most things. I've already put 27k miles on mine in just a year of hunting, fishing and outdoor recreation. I need a vehicle that is going to last me 10 years, and theres not many out there that I would reliably think I could take to 300K miles outside of Toyota. I feel much better thinking that a tried and true platform would be able to do that versus something thats completely new

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
FYI, you can probably buy a GX 460 and get the Lexus V8 for a very similar price. Everyone wants a 4runner, most don't realize the GX is the more luxury version but it's every bit as capable. Lockers and all on our 2020 offroad GX 460, not that we need them, it's my wife's grocery getter, but it is dang nice to drive. We like it far more than her 2016 limited 4runner.
Does the GX take regular unleaded or do you have to take out a home equity loan to fill it up with premium?

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 17 GX 460, I've run all 3 types of fuel in it. I have not noticed any difference in power. To me it seems that I get better mpg when using regular fuel.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I sold my 16 4runner trail edition and picked this GX last summer. This thing is extremely capable off road. I did the CC and MTS mod to my GX.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220405-083831_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220405-083831_Gallery.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 44

Fatcamp

WKR
The newer Bronco's are a better rig, that being said rumor has it 23' will update the 4Runner substantially.

May pay to wait and explore your options -- that's what we're doing.

What makes you say that? Looks like there is a base model Bronco that is affordable.

I drive a 2001 4runner that is a pretty awesome rig. All around the best vehicle I've ever owned.

What makes you say that? Looks like there is a base model Bronco that is affordable.

I drive a 2001 4runner that is a pretty awesome rig. All around the best vehicle I've ever owned.
Just a more modern vehicle with a better overall package & features for the average daily driver. My relative has a new Bronco, another a 20' 4Runner, I'd take the Bronco any day if equal price. It's definitely a worse hauler though, interior is semi-cramped IMO and less cargo capacity.

That being said, we are a big Toyota family and awaiting the new 4Runner before we make any decisions. I am SUPER hopeful they put the new Hybrid engine option from the Tundra in the updated 4Runner...