Anyone camp under a tarp?

Sounds like some good odds

Yeah, one winter while chasing deer in Arizona, I spent 15 days under a tarp with blowing snow and temperatures down to -5. Was a little problematic, but no biggie really. I've suffered worse under a tarp up here in Alaska.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Yeah, one winter while chasing deer in Arizona, I spent 15 days under a tarp with blowing snow and temperatures down to -5. Was a little problematic, but no biggie really. I've suffered worse under a tarp up here in Alaska.
Damn, sounds pretty hardcore. I would have bailed pretty quick with that kind of weather :)

I started to think about tarp camping. Since a tarp can be quite large and really light, it makes sense to use on a hunt.
A couple of problems though, bugs and other pests, might not be able to set up anywhere, trees help. The false sense of security one gets behind a tent is gone. Might be for the better, I don't know.

So does anyone do this? And I don't mean a floorless teepee, I mean a proper tarp as a lean-to (or lean-three ;) ) or whatever way you pitch it.
Nothing but a tarp, pad and sleeping bag.
Here's a good thread to help with tarp setups:

OP
S

seww

WKR
Took a quick overnighter to try the tarp and do some scouting. Didn't have any trees on any flat surfaces except right here. No poles, just cordage and 4 stakes. Made a few extra stakes. It worked for sure, had a ground sheet and no problems with creepy crawlers but the mosquitos did drive me crazy at night. They weren't many but enough to keep me awake. Bug net is for sure needed in the early season.

PXL_20220716_015430834.jpg

Blaw

WKR
I've spent a ton of nights (and multiple fly-out hunts), using only an UL, solo, floorless shelter. I don't know how that would be much different than under a tarp.
380f9915b963232872090d12ffaf3a02.jpg

e1081991808779b1e7fe0c3fb8741dd7.jpg
what shelter is this?

how on earth do you sleep on slopes, my pad always slides down my tyvek and before you know it my feet are against the tent or sticking outside it lol

Haha, sometimes looks can be deceiving. That spot really wasn’t all that bad, although it looks like it was pretty steep from the picture.
1761d12c70b891501ed716e796586fcf.jpg

This spot was definitely much worse, but I had just killed a nice billy goat the night before, it was about 15°F, we had no water (that wasn’t frozen solid), it was starting to get dark, and the terrain we were in was super steep. We quickly came down the mountain about 1,500’ and found this spot that wasn’t too bad. I ended up pitching the shelter while my son climbed further down and found a little drainage that wasn’t totally frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
A bug bivvy will help a whole lot and weighs only a few ounces. Also helps keep the pad under me so I don't roll off it. I live the tarp life Aug-sept and Oct if the weather looks doable.