Anyone camp under a tarp?

seww

WKR
I started to think about tarp camping. Since a tarp can be quite large and really light, it makes sense to use on a hunt.
A couple of problems though, bugs and other pests, might not be able to set up anywhere, trees help. The false sense of security one gets behind a tent is gone. Might be for the better, I don't know.

So does anyone do this? And I don't mean a floorless teepee, I mean a proper tarp as a lean-to (or lean-three ;) ) or whatever way you pitch it.
Nothing but a tarp, pad and sleeping bag.

sram9102

WKR
I have with a simply light designs winter haven. It is a ton of space if the weather is nice. You can snap the ends shut and enclose it but that makes it a tight 2 person shelter. I've been trying to find a floored bug screen that would attach the the ridgeline easily with room for 2 and gear.

rideold

WKR
I have an old GoLite cave tarp. I have never spent the night under it before. I have a screen nest for it as well but it's a complete pain to set up. I've had the whole thing put together in the yard. The biggest thing I don't like about the tarp system is the weather that can get in on the ends and the low ridgeline. Maybe that's just the design on the tarp I have. I carry it as a backup and a quick shelter on day hunts. I spent a nice afternoon in freezing drizzle pronghorn hunting one year. I appreciated having it that day for sure. I am considering it for this coming September's solo archery elk hunt since my tent is old and weighs upwards of 5 lbs. Sure wish I could have jumped on the Durston XMID bandwagon the last time they were offered!

Maverick1

WKR
I started to think about tarp camping. Since a tarp can be quite large and really light, it makes sense to use on a hunt.
A couple of problems though, bugs and other pests, might not be able to set up anywhere, trees help. The false sense of security one gets behind a tent is gone. Might be for the better, I don't know.

So does anyone do this? And I don't mean a floorless teepee, I mean a proper tarp as a lean-to (or lean-three ;) ) or whatever way you pitch it.
Been using an 8x10 silnylon tarp for nearly two decades. Has worked great across multiple states and a variety of weather throughout the entire month of September. Occasionally use in combination with an ultralight bivy when rain is forecasted for an extended period of time. Works great.

Drenalin

WKR
Regularly. A bivy is nice for bugs, nasty weather, and to keep the pad and quilt together, but not necessary. If conditions warrant a bivy, I'd personally just prefer a tent - but I get a lot of nights with just the tarp.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Been using an 8x10 silnylon tarp for nearly two decades. Has worked great across multiple states and a variety of weather throughout the entire month of September. Occasionally use in combination with an ultralight bivy when rain is forecasted for an extended period of time. Works great.
That bad ass!
I have a nice DD Tarp, very large at like 9'x9' but very sturdy. Haven't used it yet because of these "fears" I need to overcome.

Reading about it and watching people do it, seems like a very nice idea. No condensation, no worries to clean anything up without a floor. Simple, if you know how to pitch it and light.

OP
S

seww

WKR
I have with a simply light designs winter haven. It is a ton of space if the weather is nice. You can snap the ends shut and enclose it but that makes it a tight 2 person shelter. I've been trying to find a floored bug screen that would attach the the ridgeline easily with room for 2 and gear.
That looks nice!

OP
S

seww

WKR
I have an old GoLite cave tarp. I have never spent the night under it before. I have a screen nest for it as well but it's a complete pain to set up. I've had the whole thing put together in the yard. The biggest thing I don't like about the tarp system is the weather that can get in on the ends and the low ridgeline. Maybe that's just the design on the tarp I have. I carry it as a backup and a quick shelter on day hunts. I spent a nice afternoon in freezing drizzle pronghorn hunting one year. I appreciated having it that day for sure. I am considering it for this coming September's solo archery elk hunt since my tent is old and weighs upwards of 5 lbs. Sure wish I could have jumped on the Durston XMID bandwagon the last time they were offered!
I mean, if you do pitch it low and like an A-frame, I can imagine it's fairly weather proof in almost any condition.
Not as good as a tent obviously but still.

Might have to try it this September.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Regularly. A bivy is nice for bugs, nasty weather, and to keep the pad and quilt together, but not necessary. If conditions warrant a bivy, I'd personally just prefer a tent - but I get a lot of nights with just the tarp.
But what about them nasty bugs?
I mean skeeters are just annoying but ticks, spiders and those kind of more dangerous bugs?

Not standalone. Something about scorpions, centipedes, various spiders, ratter snakes, etc hopping into my bag with me is unappealing. But I will use a tarp over a hammock.

Drenalin

WKR
I mean skeeters are just annoying but ticks, spiders and those kind of more dangerous bugs?
While it's annoying to have a spider run across your face in the middle of the night, I've never actually been bitten by one while sleeping under a tarp. I don't recall that I've pulled a tick off myself in the morning either; I generally get those moving through brush. I'm also under the impression there are more ticks on the ground in areas with pine duff (or similar) than there are in leaf litter - I tend to be in leafy areas, so that might be part of why it hasn't been an issue.

We don't have scorpions where I live, never have seen a copperhead at night, and rattlesnakes are scarce enough that if something happens with one, then it was probably my time anyway.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Not standalone. Something about scorpions, centipedes, various spiders, ratter snakes, etc hopping into my bag with me is unappealing. But I will use a tarp over a hammock.
Yeah I think Arizona is in a league by itself.
Not that bad here in Idaho :)

OP
S

seww

WKR
While it's annoying to have a spider run across your face in the middle of the night, I've never actually been bitten by one while sleeping under a tarp. I don't recall that I've pulled a tick off myself in the morning either; I generally get those moving through brush. I'm also under the impression there are more ticks on the ground in areas with pine duff (or similar) than there are in leaf litter - I tend to be in leafy areas, so that might be part of why it hasn't been an issue.

We don't have scorpions where I live, never have seen a copperhead at night, and rattlesnakes are scarce enough that if something happens with one, then it was probably my time anyway.
I can see that snakes might not be a huge issue at night but I'm not sure as I never had to deal with them before.

I think ants would also be a big annoyance. I always manage to find their nests when I camp...

Maverick1

WKR
Generally no mosquitoes while elk hunting. (Encountered them once, maybe at 6000' - ? - in September. Hiked a few minutes uphill to ~6500' and they weren't there.)

Maverick1

WKR

IMG_1239.JPG

I've spent a ton of nights (and multiple fly-out hunts), using only an UL, solo, floorless shelter. I don't know how that would be much different than under a tarp.
380f9915b963232872090d12ffaf3a02.jpg

e1081991808779b1e7fe0c3fb8741dd7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

seww

WKR
Generally no mosquitoes while elk hunting. (Encountered them once, maybe at 6000' - ? - in September. Hiked a few minutes uphill to ~6500' and they weren't there.)
Ah I see. Yeah once the temperature drops they drop too.