Anyone camp under a tarp?

OP
S

seww

WKR
View attachment 425284
I have used this set up (Breeze Mesh Bivy) with and without a tarp. Where I hunt/camp snakes are a legitimate concern, meaning they are a constant presence, so I use the bivy rain or shine. I have not used this setup in any inclement weather yet. If I’m out for more than say 3 days I prefer the security of a tent since weather forecasts aren’t super reliable that far out.
I don't blame ya. Damn snakes...

OP
S

seww

WKR
Tarp and bivy for summer here in AK. Give good coverage to stay dry and ya don’t have to stay inside your cramped bivy if you don’t want to. Keeps fire out of the rain too
I'm assuming you use the bivy for the skeeters? Not that many dangerous small creatures up there 🙂

I love a tarp with a tent inner underneath. Bugs are out year round here, and the ground is usually wet. I put all my gear inside the mesh. Pockets, mesh, and bathtub floor are worth the weight.
20220620_171632.jpg20210210_182651.jpgScreenshot_20210202-130755_Photos.jpg

FLATHEAD

WKR
Early/Mid Fall here in the South is when the snakes start crawling.
When the nights turn cool, you could end up with a Copperhead
or Timber curled up next to you.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Yup. This. Cowboy camped a lot in NM and AZ. At the end of a long day hiking and hunting, it’s so much easier to just unroll the sleeping pad and plop the sleeping bag on top, and go to sleep. Waking up and going in the morning is much easier too.

Little to no chance of rain, it works great. (Had it go sideways once when an unexpected rainstorm came through the middle of the night once in CO. That was….memorable!)

One time we had a windstorm move in suddenly. Took my buddy’s sleeping pad 500 yards down into a draw. Found it the next day.

e1149fe623fb1c0847e58099cfb93ef0.jpg

OP
S

seww

WKR
One time we had a windstorm move in suddenly. Took my buddy’s sleeping pad 500 yards down into a draw. Found it the next day.

e1149fe623fb1c0847e58099cfb93ef0.jpg
Haha that was lucky then! I would have expected it to blow to the next state!

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I like tarps a lot actually. Though the majority of my nights outdoors have actually been cowboy/bivy only kind of setups. Mosquitoes and heavy rain are the only things that usually make me regret that.

In past trips to CO, I’ve used a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. It might as well be a shaped tarp with a zipper. It does work best with two trekking poles to hold it up.

This year I’m considering bringing a 10x10 square flat tarp, and maybe a bivy also. I don’t use trekking poles much at all, so I was basically just carrying them to set up the MountainSmith shelter. Using a diamond fly or “storm mode” tarp setup, I can ditch the poles and maybe save some weight. For archery, I think a tarp is probably fine. By 2nd rifle, I’d want a full tent setup, preferably with heat/stove also.

I’ll weigh the tarp, cordage, and stakes vs the Mountainsmith shelter with stakes and trekking poles and decide for sure then.

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I have with a simply light designs winter haven. It is a ton of space if the weather is nice. You can snap the ends shut and enclose it but that makes it a tight 2 person shelter. I've been trying to find a floored bug screen that would attach the the ridgeline easily with room for 2 and gear.
Bear Paw Wilderness designs will make you one however you want it. I know some people don't like them but I've never had issues with them.

OP
S

seww

WKR
I like tarps a lot actually. Though the majority of my nights outdoors have actually been cowboy/bivy only kind of setups. Mosquitoes and heavy rain are the only things that usually make me regret that.

In past trips to CO, I’ve used a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. It might as well be a shaped tarp with a zipper. It does work best with two trekking poles to hold it up.

This year I’m considering bringing a 10x10 square flat tarp, and maybe a bivy also. I don’t use trekking poles much at all, so I was basically just carrying them to set up the MountainSmith shelter. Using a diamond fly or “storm mode” tarp setup, I can ditch the poles and maybe save some weight. For archery, I think a tarp is probably fine. By 2nd rifle, I’d want a full tent setup, preferably with heat/stove also.

I’ll weigh the tarp, cordage, and stakes vs the Mountainsmith shelter with stakes and trekking poles and decide for sure then.
Good idea.
I might give the tarp a chance this September for archery. Mine is a 10x10 square, and very sturdy and kind of heavy. Still lighter than a tent and will work for now. If I like it I might upgrade to a lighter one.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely try a tarp. I do it all the time. Look up the DD tarp tent set up. It gives almost all the weather protection of a fully enclosed tent. I have set it up with branches or trekking poles for supports. Also a "low" A frame is even easier, 3 sided protection tarp set up. Or a "Cave" set up, or an "asymmetrical holden" set up....or....

Low A frame in the yard...

AIo6bAf.jpg

DD style tarp tent with a 10x10...last year...

KlQ8ECg.jpg

"Cave" set up for 2 from the year before.....

Oxm6Qbd.jpg

There are some misconceptions about tarps though. You can still get some condensation, you do need to know how to set them up in multiple ways to fit whatever area you have to camp.

If you have trekking poles you never need a tree.

Youtube university is a good resource for tarp set ups.

I don't think you can match the versatility of a tarp with any other shelter. If you know what you are doing you can even make a "tipi" from one.....

Just my 2cents...

OP
S

seww

WKR
I would definitely try a tarp. I do it all the time. Look up the DD tarp tent set up. It gives almost all the weather protection of a fully enclosed tent. I have set it up with branches or trekking poles for supports. Also a "low" A frame is even easier, 3 sided protection tarp set up. Or a "Cave" set up, or an "asymmetrical holden" set up....or....

Low A frame in the yard...

AIo6bAf.jpg

DD style tarp tent with a 10x10...last year...

KlQ8ECg.jpg

"Cave" set up for 2 from the year before.....

Oxm6Qbd.jpg

There are some misconceptions about tarps though. You can still get some condensation, you do need to know how to set them up in multiple ways to fit whatever area you have to camp.

If you have trekking poles you never need a tree.

Youtube university is a good resource for tarp set ups.

I don't think you can match the versatility of a tarp with any other shelter. If you know what you are doing you can even make a "tipi" from one.....

Just my 2cents...
Man those set-ups are awesome. Gotta get to practice.
My tarp is a DD tarp 3x3 meters. Need to work on my knots and like you said, different environments and conditions calls for different set-ups.

I want to stay simple and light and try and bring as little stuff as possible. So no ground pegs or hiking poles. A challenge for sure but not impossible.

OP
S

seww

WKR
you can make pegs from small branches...
No shit? :)
Yeah I know that but what I meant was I don't want to bring stakes. Same with the hiking pole but one could still make one.
The point is to have a light setup on the back.

*zap*

WKR
you can easily make a walking stick but not a set of trekking poles....which can be invaluable.

You don't need stakes or poles (hiking poles) for adequate, comfortable, sufficient tarp setup, even in treeless desert, wide open plains, or alpine environments.

OP
S

seww

WKR
you can easily make a walking stick but not a set of trekking poles....which can be invaluable.
Probably. I don't use trekking poles because I want to bring with me as little stuff as possible. I barely bring a gun :)

OP
S

seww

WKR
You don't need stakes or poles (hiking poles) for adequate, comfortable, sufficient tarp setup, even in treeless desert, wide open plains, or alpine environments.
Hmm you got any examples of a good setup without stakes or poles (trees)?
I'd guess you need something to keep it off the ground at least. I mean, one could always roll into it and live over night I suppose...