Anyone carry bibs in the backcountry?

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

Curious to hear others thoughts on this. I have some late season December/January backcountry/backpacking elk hunts coming up where Temps can be in the single digits during the day and in the negatives at night.

Does anyone have any layering system recommendations for that kind of cold especially for someone that gets cold easily?

Specifically, does anyone carry bibs on a backpack hunt? Its seems taboo from my research but I can't find a better solution for those kinds of Temps.

Thanks for the insights.

madcalfe

WKR
insulated bibs are heavy and not water proof for very long....
look into stone glacier M7 jacket and pants then run a puffy jacket under it for the top
and some heavyweight base layers and pants.

in Canada for late season white tail hunting at -30*C temps I can usually get away with running kuiu yukon rain pant and jacket with my puffy jacket under it and my 1 piece Helly Hanson thermal onesie and some jogging pants and that sitting still whereas your going be moving for late season elk hunting

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
insulated bibs are heavy and not water proof for very long....
look into stone glacier M7 jacket and pants then run a puffy jacket under it for the top
and some heavyweight base layers and pants.

in Canada for late season white tail hunting at -30*C temps I can usually get away with running kuiu yukon rain pant and jacket with my puffy jacket under it and my 1 piece Helly Hanson thermal onesie and some jogging pants and that sitting still whereas your going be moving for late season elk hunt
I already wear more than that and it only keeps me warm when I am glassing down to 20 degrees or so. I wear a lightweight thermal bottom, Heavyweight thermal bottom, insulated pants, puffy pant, lightweight base layer shirt, heavyweight thermal hoody, vest, puffy jacket, and rain gear on top. So I need to add something else to get me comfortable down to 0 or so.

madcalfe

WKR
I already wear more than that and it only keeps me warm when I am glassing down to 20 degrees or so. I wear a lightweight thermal bottom, Heavyweight thermal bottom, insulated pants, puffy pant, lightweight base layer shirt, heavyweight thermal hoody, vest, puffy jacket, and rain gear on top. So I need to add something else to get me comfortable down to 0 or so.
lol jesus.... uhhh i dunno check out kuiu gale force lol. but i think in your case your probably better off to just wear straight up winter gear lol

Elkhntr08

WKR
I don’t even like packing my bibs out to the tree stand when whitetail hunting, I can’t imagine packing them on a elk hunt.
I’d be looking at a better layering system and a ground pad to use white sitting and glassing.
Is your concern more about daytime cold or sleeping in the cold?
Are you sweating during the day, then getting cold? Get a system that you can add and remove layers easily.
Nighttime, get a better bag and I added a lightweight quilt for those really cold nights.
There’s better ways than dragging around heavy bibs.

yfarm

WKR
ECWCS Level 7 pants, full zip, carry in your pack put on when you stand hunt or glass. More expensive versions of the same thing are available from mountaineering companies. Amazing to me people will pay 2-3x more for a product from a hunting clothing company than from a reputable quality outdoor clothing company.

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
lol jesus.... uhhh i dunno check out kuiu gale force lol. but i think in your case your probably better off to just wear straight up winter gear lol
Yeah, it is annoying but it is what it is. Any recommendations on actual winter gear? Thats the direction I'm heading in but can't seem to find any good information on where to start.

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
ECWCS Level 7 pants, full zip, carry in your pack put on when you stand hunt or glass. More expensive versions of the same thing are available from mountaineering companies. Amazing to me people will pay 2-3x more for a product from a hunting clothing company than from a reputable quality outdoor clothing company.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look around at some surplus stores around here to find some to try on.

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t even like packing my bibs out to the tree stand when whitetail hunting, I can’t imagine packing them on a elk hunt.
I’d be looking at a better layering system and a ground pad to use white sitting and glassing.
Is your concern more about daytime cold or sleeping in the cold?
Are you sweating during the day, then getting cold? Get a system that you can add and remove layers easily.
Nighttime, get a better bag and I added a lightweight quilt for those really cold nights.
There’s better ways than dragging around heavy bibs.
Do you have any suggestions for my layering system? And no. I almost never sweat and if I do I'm stripped down to bare minimum and putting on dry clothes when I get there.

Lightweight thermal leggings
Sitka heavyweight bottom
Kenetrek heavyweight socks
Sitka timberline pant
First lite uncompaghre puffy pant
Hello Hansen Impertech bibs

Sitka Lightweight LS shirt
Midweight thermal shirt
Sitka Core heavyweight hood
Sitka Jetstream Vest
First lite uncompaghre puffy jacket
Helly Hansen Impertech jacket

Wool gloves
First lite mittens

Two Beanies

I am mostly concerned about pre and post sun around camp or on the mountain and daytime glassing in extreme cold/exposure. And yes, I use a 2in foam sitting pad.

I find nearly every other puffy from (hunting brands) warmer than the uncompaghre, with the exception being the Kuiu SDU.

I’d personally start there there and forget the idea of packing bibs.

SG puffy pants as warm as they get, with side-zips, without going custom as I can find. If you like FL I’ve heard great things about the Chamberlin, but haven’t personally touched one.

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
I find nearly every other puffy from (hunting brands) warmer than the uncompaghre, with the exception being the Kuiu SDU.

I’d personally start there there and forget the idea of packing bibs.

SG puffy pants as warm as they get, with side-zips, without going custom as I can find. If you like FL I’ve heard great things about the Chamberlin, but haven’t personally touched one.
Interesting! Thank you for the idea. I hadn't heard that before so I will look at upgrading and see what the other brands feel like.

Jethro

WKR
Carry a down quilt with you to slide into when you are stopped and glassing. That be much lighter than carrying the clothes necessary for stationary hunting in single digits. When you get cold, move to a new spot and warm up from the hike.

I wear technical bibs that were made for alpine mountaineering. They are fantastic when it’s cold. Mountain Hardwear synchro bibs. During the day, they unzip to let air in. I usually wear nylon running shorts under them, but if it is below 20 degrees I put on a light pair of merino long-handles underneath.5FED4308-0671-4077-BCAD-1770A7798400.jpegquite well.

Poser

WKR
I wear technical bibs that were made for alpine mountaineering. They are fantastic when it’s cold. Mountain Hardwear synchro bibs. During the day, they unzip to let air in. I usually wear nylon running shorts under them, but if it is below 20 degrees I put on a light pair of merino long-handles underneath.View attachment 429755quite well.

I have a similar pair for skiing, but I only wear them on the deepest, coldest powder days and only for resort skiing (downhill). Wearing them uphill in any temps we get in CO is impractical. If you’re wearing a tshirt and shorts under them, would it follow that they are an excessive layer?

Excessive is relevant. I would never wear them during bow season. During rifle they are just great. Seems like the last few years the temperature never got above 35 degrees. They don’t weigh much. Stay super dry, no draft, wind doesn’t cut through. Can vent if it’s a little too warm. I move slow when I hunt and I don’t overdress. Only wear a light puffy when I move and then put on down parka when I glass.

The other outfit I wear are the insulated guide pants from Eddie Bauer with gators. That works great for more moderate days.

Either way I add lightweight merino bottoms underneath when the temperature drops.

62ABC16B-4ED0-4C73-8B9D-25DE535571B2.jpegE72B690E-C860-4C97-BE3F-4A73EBE88738.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
I took and did a quick compare of bibs vs upgrading to a higher insulation puffy set per the recommendations above and the below is what I came up with.

Any thoughts, criticisms, etc.? After looking at it; I don't quite get the pushback against the idea since the weight is almost identical in either scenario?

Sitka Merino Core Ltwt Boxer Pyrite2Sitka Merino Core Ltwt Boxer Pyrite2
Kenetrek Canada Midweight Over the Calf SockKenetrek Canada Midweight Over the Calf Sock
Sitka Merino Heavyweight Bottom9.15Sitka Merino Heavyweight Bottom9.15
Sitka Timberline Pant29.6Sitka Timberline Pant29.6
Sitka Core Light LS5.1Sitka Core Light LS5.1
Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody14.8Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody14.8
Sitka Jetstream Vest15Sitka Jetstream Vest15
First Lite Chamberlin Down Jacket25First Lite Uncompaghre Puffy Jacket21
Stone Glacier Grumman Puffy Pant16
Helly Hansen Impertech Jacket25Helly Hansen Impertech Jacket25
Helly Hansen Impertech Bib Pant28Sitka Incinerator Aerolite Bibs49.5
Kuiu Yukon Gaiters12Kuiu Yukon Gaiters12
Zamberlan 1014 Lynx Size 1253.6Zamberlan 1014 Lynx Size 1253.6
First Lite Brooks Down Glassing Mitt3.5First Lite Brooks Down Glassing Mitt3.5

Poser

WKR
Your original post referred “carrying” bibs which suggests you don’t intend to wear them throughout the day. Unless you are going to wear them all day, they are going to require a considerable amount of pack volume to carry vs. a puffy jacket and pants which will compress and pack better separately.

Also, if you are going to “carry” them in your pack, that suggests that you’ll be wearing another pair of pants when it’s too warm for bibs. And You are still going need a puffy jacket regardless.

As for layering I think the trick as K1 says is to keep it simple but really insulate it up with good air layer. I use a subzero down jacket when it gets Uber cold. It only weighs like 1.5 pounds and you can sit for hours in brutally cold weather.

Legs:
Bibs or insulated EB guide pants.
Merino bottom (lightweight)
Gaiters if it turns messy.

Top:
Wicking t shirt - orange
Merino top (lightweight)
Midweight puffy - orange
Thick down jacket
Shell (marmot rain jacket) - orange

Head;
Balaklava
Poly watch hat
Goretex boonie hat

Take 2 pair of sock liners, ski gloves, light glove inserts, neck warmer.

That’s it for a week.