Anyone case skin a bear?

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody ever cased a bear like you would a coon? I would like to case one and have it tanned. Hang it from an old square nail. That's what we used to with coons and I think it would he awesome to have a bear like that. I just haven't seen anything online about it?
Thanks

Yes! I have with both mtn lions and bears. Some day when I get a place w/ more room I’d like to have a wall full 😂

Here is one I have some pics of, tanned to show a buddy how I made the cuts... I usually split at wrist bones and save the paws for when I’m home or back at camp... make sure you skin out scrotum for evidence of sex laws (if applicable) then I soft tan... the biggest problem w/ case skinning Bear is they are a pain in the ass to keep rolling back and forth, especially alone on the ground. But I think it’s a way better way to save and display a skin if your not going to rug or full body.

749B10F4-51CD-4FDD-B6E1-AC120CB5AADF.jpeg14AEF238-E3C6-4A13-B9BC-747DFC521849.jpeg

OP
S

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
That looks great. Exactly what i want to do. Thanks for posting

I bet doing it on the ground is diffucult. I've got a rock climbing pully that i take with me incase there is a tree nearby to string it up. Not sure how it would work though, never tried it out on something that heavy. I have a soft spot for carrying around small heavy usless objects

That looks great. Exactly what i want to do. Thanks for posting

I bet doing it on the ground is diffucult. I've got a rock climbing pully that i take with me incase there is a tree nearby to string it up. Not sure how it would work though, never tried it out on something that heavy. I have a soft spot for carrying around small heavy usless objects

I really think a pulley would help a bunch and be worth packing if you want to case skin a large bear in the field, especially alone..even if you could only partially raise bear to get hide underneath him. I know my back hates me for awhile after skinning and a little pulley sounds worth it to me. If you ever try it out I’d love to hear how it goes!

swampokie

WKR
I second the pain in the ass of doing it on the ground by urself. Rolling and rolling wears u out. Much easier if you have a partner to at least hold a leg or a light if its dark when u skin like I did last year.

DEEF

Lil-Rokslider
I have on the ground. It was tedious, but not bad. I tacked it on a solid board and lost the hide. That was back in the day before great information online:)

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I really like case skinned bear and lion pelts. They look more like an animal than a rug. I have never case skinned anything bigger than an otter, and that was with the aid of a store bought fleshing beam. I admire the patience and dedication you folks have!

WKR
When I was young I case skinned a lot of smaller varmints. After killing some bears, no way I am trying it out on them. Looks like some nice results but can’t imagine wrestling around on one.

I’ve case skinned several in the field. Solo it’s a huge pain, but a tarp or a sheet of tyvek to skin on makes it a much easier cleaner process. If you’ve got a hunting partner or two skin and remove the rear quarters and most bears can be lifted and hung in a tree with a rope through the pelvis, making skinning much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
Main thing you wanna do is cut front legs off at elbow then finish skinning bear then go back and invert the front feet when done with everything else. I do taxidermy on the side and did me and my wife’s bear last fall, u can tan them yourself if your not afraid of a lil elbow grease. Just make you a simple fleshing bean or even lay out the hides on concrete floor or plywood and power wash off all the fat and membrane and then buy u some krow tan and follow instructions no ph or anything to mess up very simple. Leave in tanner at least 4 days on bear and just move it once a day, then when u neautrilize it work it couple times a day and just stretch everything by hand until it dries. That’s where the work is is stretching by hand. Mine turned out just as good as the commercial tannery that I’ve sent hides to before. They have huge tumblers and stretchers to get soft but same results, also helps too if u have a fleshing wheel or even ask your local taxi guy what he’d charge to flesh it after you have power washed and tanned

blackdawg

WKR
Will most taxidermists case skin, something to ask them? I may end up with a marginal hide for rug this fall and would this be a good alternative to a rug?

Will most taxidermists case skin, something to ask them? I may end up with a marginal hide for rug this fall and would this be a good alternative to a rug?

Any taxidermist can case skin... the problem is getting the bear to them, ungutted, whole....unless you shoot one you can fling over your shoulders or load it on ATV/Truck. In that instance, case skimming is pretty easy to DIY. Or I guess you could Cameron Hanes it out a few miles 😂

blackdawg

WKR
Any taxidermist can case skin... the problem is getting the bear to them, ungutted, whole....unless you shoot one you can fling over your shoulders or load it on ATV/Truck. In that instance, case skimming is pretty easy to DIY. Or I guess you could Cameron Hanes it out a few miles

Actually, where I am going the guys say they bring em out whole quite often,,perhaps it would be wise for an old fart like me to shoot a dink probably , if no young whippersnappers are in the neighborhood !

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider

Any taxidermist can case skin... the problem is getting the bear to them, ungutted, whole....unless you shoot one you can fling over your shoulders or load it on ATV/Truck. In that instance, case skimming is pretty easy to DIY. Or I guess you could Cameron Hanes it out a few miles 😂
i would talk to your taxi=d and see what he charges to skin one if you bring it, find out if he tans them himself or sends them off, if he sends them off find out about how much (commercial tanners generally charge more/less by ft2 on bear). Case skinning is very simple, it's really no diff than skinning any other animal and i'm sure if you had coon hides a bear is the same as the coon minus the long tail other than size. You can call around your area and fig out what the tannery's are charging and skin it and then freeze it, then ship it to the tannery if there isn't any driving distance. i sent off about a 300-325lb bear about 5 years ago to a tannery in OK and had it wet tanned and i wanna say it cost me around 180-200 then. hope that helps and ask away if you have any ?'s

blackdawg

WKR
Yes, talked with taxidermist a few weeks ago , got the rates for skinning,tanning,etc. The idea of case skinning seems like a really cool alternative for the hide, not a big mounter type fella, just euros and skull caps for me. I will ask him about case skinning, sounds like he keeps busy with the bears so he probably has an answer for the question. Thanks