Anyone catch the BROmar KifauKast?

My family owned a custom butcher shop until 2009. It was in the family for approximately 100 years before we closed the doors. We ate corn-fed red meat every single day. Probably 1-4lbs per person per day. Sausage for breakfast, burgers for lunch, and steak for supper was a typical day. And snacking on a combination of the typical meat snacks all day.

My great grandpa died in his mid 50s. My grandpa died at 59. My dad had a massive heart attack at age 49 (Coded 3 times total and a total of 18 shocks over the course of 4 days to keep him ticking). They were all stone solid. My dad played a full-court basketball game a week before his heart attack and never sat out a minute. The fat in your blood stream doesn't care what you look like from the outside or even how strong your heart is.

It could have all been genetic, but I would strongly advise against an extremely heavy meat/fat diet. If you do, at least make it all lean wild game. As others stated, I think the overwhelming consensus in the health world is just keep it whole foods and you will be great. Especially if your objective is simply being a "mountain athlete."

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
While I thought it was a lot of Bro-Science, Josh has a pretty impressive fitness resume in drug-tested competition. So, I think he's a freak of nature, dedicated, hard worker, and not roids....

bowmarfitness.com/josh-sarah/

Admitting i haven't followed the NPC and Arnold Classic in a number of years, but with a lot of past experience, i find it hard to believe he won those competitions, which gave him IFBB pro status, by being clean. i've known a lot of folks win 'drug-tested competition' who weren't clean. freak of nature, dedicated and hard worker, absolutely needed to get to that point. either way, i say great job for the wins and making it as a pro

Definitely an interesting podcast that had some good nutritional and fitness advice...but the no veggies thing would make my grandmother roll over in her grave...

sveltri

WKR
My family owned a custom butcher shop until 2009. It was in the family for approximately 100 years before we closed the doors. We ate corn-fed red meat every single day. Probably 1-4lbs per person per day. Sausage for breakfast, burgers for lunch, and steak for supper was a typical day. And snacking on a combination of the typical meat snacks all day.

My great grandpa died in his mid 50s. My grandpa died at 59. My dad had a massive heart attack at age 49 (Coded 3 times total and a total of 18 shocks over the course of 4 days to keep him ticking). They were all stone solid. My dad played a full-court basketball game a week before his heart attack and never sat out a minute. The fat in your blood stream doesn't care what you look like from the outside or even how strong your heart is.

It could have all been genetic, but I would strongly advise against an extremely heavy meat/fat diet. If you do, at least make it all lean wild game. As others stated, I think the overwhelming consensus in the health world is just keep it whole foods and you will be great. Especially if your objective is simply being a "mountain athlete."

I don’t want to down play what happened to your family members, but I’m curious how the rest of their diet was? Was the meat/fat coupled with high carbs and sugar? It sounds like the combination of the two is deadly.

Last edited:
I found it odd he said do not take vitamins and do not eat Fruits/veggies because your body does not benefit from them but in the same breath suggested taking green powder substitutes. Figure that one out...still scratching my head on that one...

OP
HookUp

HookUp

WKR
His evidence for claiming that vegetables are unhealthy was based on seeing corn in his poop. I'm glad his influence is limited to the people he sells to and social media. My wife practices in a cardiology office and strangely enough the Dr's advise plant based diets with minimum to moderate lean meat diets. A recent book advocating for a plant based diet that states research and not body builders comments from podcasts or forums is the The How Not to Die Cookbook. Same guy runs Nutritionfacts.org.

You can always tell steroid using body builders by their lack of nutritional knowledge. I'm not accusing Bowmar here but as a fan of the IFBB for a number of years they eat whatever they want and have the bodies of greek statues. That should tell you all you need to know. Saying things like no fruit, vegetables or sugar even in moderation isn't practical advice for anyone.

Last edited:
I’ll listen to a guy that looks like that any day, rather than a scientist, doctor, or nutritionist that’s not in shape. When it comes to human physiology, I don’t believe any science. The food pyramid? Balanced diet? Come on, this shits only been around for a few generations. And during that time our culture has gotten fatter and softer. Unfortunately most people will hang onto their muffin tops, clogged arteries, and “knowledge” they learned in school all the way to their early death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll listen to a guy that looks like that any day, rather than a scientist, doctor, or nutritionist that’s not in shape. When it comes to human physiology, I don’t believe any science. The food pyramid? Balanced diet? Come on, this shits only been around for a few generations. And during that time our culture has gotten fatter and softer. Unfortunately most people will hang onto their muffin tops, clogged arteries, and “knowledge” they learned in school all the way to their early death.

I get where you're coming from on that. However, those aren't mutually exclusive anymore. There are a number of incredibly intelligent people out there now who, not only are really fit/accomplished in whatever their chosen physical endeavor is, ie bodybuilding, powerlifting, crossfit, endurance sports, etc., but also actually scientifically schooled.

Check out Dr. Mike Isratel, Dr. Layne Norton, Dr Andy Galpin, Greg Nuckols, Dr. Ben House, among many others. These guys and their ilk are quite literally killing off the old school bro-types when it comes to strength/conditioning and especially nutrition. I'm not someone who automatically bends over just because somebody is an MD but there's too much good science coming out nowadays to just trust your health on some gym bro-type regardless of how great a physique they may have.

At this point, I've spent half my life in gyms, primarily as a lifter, but have also dabbled at times in the endurance sports as well. I can tell you this. A lot of very accomplished athletes are very successful, fit, jacked, shredded, etc in spite of what they do. Not necessarily because of it. You can't just take these people's word, especially on nutrition, as gospel just because they're shredded. Besides, being jacked/shredded is not always synonymous with health/longevity.

I'm not hating on Bowmar and I actually enjoyed that podcast but he was definitely talking out of his ass on a number of subjects that he touched on in that episode.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don’t buy into any of this BS, the fit was industry is over saturated with people trying to get a foot on the door thinking they have the latest greatest thing and it’s almost all bullshit, anybody can get an exercise science degree, work as a personal trainer and have a website.

When “coaches” or “fitness experts” start talking about special diets and new workouts I just tune it out. Consistency and a decent diet best out everything else, there are no short cuts.

You're right about that: There is too much good science out there these days on diet and nutrition. Unfortunately, easy certifications and social media have muddied the waters for the general public to discern good information by experts from info by easy-certification pseudoscientists. I am a former student of Galpin, am familiar with all of the renaissance periodization guys you mention, and am a doctoral student myself in human performance. This is the stuff I have learned about on a regular basis for 10+ years.

Although Bowmar may not be a scientist, I have to acknowledge that about 50% of the stuff he said was somewhat accurate. There a qualities of proteins and fats that can aid in immediate weight loss and that is why people jump on the keto train/extremely low carb train. However, this diet is not sustainable for most people long-term and they tend to gain weight back easily. It is also very likely to limit intense exercise performance lasting 3 minutes or less in duration due to the fact that the anaerobic energy systems are highly reliant on available carbohydrate sources. This does not mean that the high keto has no place in weight loss prescription. However, when I provide "nutritional guidance" keto is not high on the list of techniques to encourage, especially when resistance training or intense exercise is involved.

Carbs get a bad rap because they are an extremely efficient fuel source and very easy to overfeed on. There are several processes where the body breaks down and converts substrates into usable forms of glucose. The only fuel source that the brain uses is blood glucose. You secrete an enzyme in saliva that immediately initiates the breakdown of carbs upon entrance into the mouth. You ever seen a marathon runner faint yards before the finish line? It's caused by depletion of stored carbohydrate to the point where blood sugar drops, resulting in complete shutdown of the body. Bottom line, THE BODY WANTS CARBS. Try to get carbs from veggies as much as possible, but veggies are not very dense calorically-speaking. Eat healthy dense carbs in appropriate amounts: whole grains, rice, oats etc.

When I give nutritional guidance, I do the following: 1) Calculate resting energy expenditure to obtain total calories 2) Encourage an appropriate amount of protein based exercise (usually 1.2-1.8 g/kg, the upper limit when any sort of strength training is involved) 3) Encourage between 10-15% of total calories designated to fat (American Heart Association says 10%, Americans eat between 20-25%) 4) Adjust total calories for activity level 5) Allocate all calories left over to carbohydrates 5) Appropriately proportion the proper carb and pro intake around workouts. This leaves a well balanced diet that should effectively fuel workouts, activities, curb hunger, and can be sustainable. This usually leaves the following macro distribution: 50-60% CHO, 10-15% FA, 30% PRO. I adjust these as a client prefers.

Notice how I never said the word "prescribe" around any of that nutrition info. That is because I am not registered dietitian with terminal degree in that field. My research is in eccentric strength and acute performance. That being said, I have had to learn what nutritional intake should look like for athletic performance. The body is highly adaptable. You can put loads of stuff into it and it will continue to run. Optimization is the what we are after though. Eating fat won't make you fat. Eating protein won't make you buff. Eating sugar won't make you sweet.

I don’t know anyone that is following that protocol with success. This all sounds good in theory. Everyone I know that is on the right path right now is eating low carb. Yet all the experts want to state the science why it doesn’t work. I’ve been low carb for 5 years and can out perform anyone I know my age. As a wrestling coach, I’ve witnessed kids perform at the highest level in the most intense sport on a low carb diet. It’s laughable to me that people say low carb is unsustainable, but low calorie is. The only thing that is truly unsustainable is a calorie deficiency. In time a calorie deficiency will result in death.

jp0212

FNG
I have to admit, I was pretty stoked when I saw that Josh Bowmar was on the podcast. Knowing he has a Bachelor's Degree in Exercise Physiology, I thought I would finally hear someone talk some sense. I have to admit, I was pretty blown away at some of the stuff I was hearing. I have a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology, where my focus heavily on physiology, so I expected to hear him actually promote science backed nutritional advice (that does not mean anything related to the government or FDA). I couldn't believe he tried to claim there is no data to backup artificial sweeteners are bad for you. Not only does the science exist, but I find it rather ironic considering the majority of the supplements they sell have those exact sweeteners. I was equally shocked at the statement that fruits and vegetables are horrible and should be avoided. Completely blew my mind. I also thought his statements regarding carbs and the Carnivore diet we pretty shocking. They did a pretty poor job explaining the Carnivore diet as well. They made it out like you can just go to town on Ribeyes and T-Bones and be good. In order to get the nutrients needed, which is still very questionable, you have to eat Nose to Tail. Hearts, Kidneys, Liver, Intestines, Brain, literally every single part of the animal. For once I would like to see someone promote a balanced nutrition plan that is both sustainable and healthy. Typically, that means 30-40% of your calories from Protein, 30-40% from carbs and 20-30% from Fat.

jp0212

FNG
I don’t know anyone that is following that protocol with success. This all sounds good in theory. Everyone I know that is on the right path right now is eating low carb. Yet all the experts want to state the science why it doesn’t work. I’ve been low carb for 5 years and can out perform anyone I know my age. As a wrestling coach, I’ve witnessed kids perform at the highest level in the most intense sport on a low carb diet. It’s laughable to me that people say low carb is unsustainable, but low calorie is. The only thing that is truly unsustainable is a calorie deficiency. In time a calorie deficiency will result in death.

I'm a little curious where you are looking, and I really don't mean that to be rude. There are countless good examples of people who utilize a balanced diet, inclusive of carbs, yet perform at a high level. Many Crossfit athletes who compete at a high level in the games follow a paleo diet, which includes carbs. Yes, you can do well on something like the Keto diet, but there are countless examples of people who have excelled (as well as science to back that up) by eating a balanced diet. I think a lot of the confusion stems around what you can and can't eat.

I'm a little curious where you are looking, and I really don't mean that to be rude. There are countless good examples of people who utilize a balanced diet, inclusive of carbs, yet perform at a high level. Many Crossfit athletes who compete at a high level in the games follow a paleo diet, which includes carbs. Yes, you can do well on something like the Keto diet, but there are countless examples of people who have excelled (as well as science to back that up) by eating a balanced diet. I think a lot of the confusion stems around what you can and can't eat.

I’m not looking anywhere. I’m just referring to the people I know. I don’t know anyone who’s competing in the CrossFit Games. The idea of a college degree means nothing to me. I only care about my life and my experience. I’ve been on all sorts of diets, and have come to he conclusion that low carb is the easiest and most convenient. At 41 years old, I can do everything I want to and out perform anyone I know my age. I’m pretty sure the balanced diet that you referred to in the above post has been pushed 30 years ago and has failed in our culture. I understand that it makes sense scientifically, but it’s been proven to be too hard to stick to for the average person. A carbohydrate based diet with a calorie deficiency leaves you fighting hunger constantly. This works for discipline people, but not for the other 95 percent.

jp0212

FNG
I’m not looking anywhere. I’m just referring to the people I know. I don’t know anyone who’s competing in the CrossFit Games. The idea of a college degree means nothing to me. I only care about my life and my experience. I’ve been on all sorts of diets, and have come to he conclusion that low carb is the easiest and most convenient. At 41 years old, I can do everything I want to and out perform anyone I know my age. I’m pretty sure the balanced diet that you referred to in the above post has been pushed 30 years ago and has failed in our culture. I understand that it makes sense scientifically, but it’s been proven to be too hard to stick to for the average person. A carbohydrate based diet with a calorie deficiency leaves you fighting hunger constantly. This works for discipline people, but not for the other 95 percent.

Not sure how a degree can carry absolutely no weight. I spent 4 years taking classes on everything related to the human body. Contrary to many beliefs, what I was taught was in no way related to what the government attempts to educate people on. In most my classes our professors actually scrutinized government health plans such as the food pyramid. I am saying this in the spirit of friendly debate, so I hope you don't take any offense, but there are multiple flaws in your above statement. A balanced diet has in no way failed our culture. It can simply be related to people quitting or not following it. Same can be said for the Keto diet as it has an extremely high failure rate. You mention a "carbohydrate based diet" so you may be confusing what I am saying with a diet high in carbohydrates. In addition to my degree, I was a NASM Certified Personal Trainer to put myself through school. I typically ran my clients on a 40% Protein - 30% Carbs - 30% Fat diet. The majority of people responded very well to that diet, but for the few that didn't I would alter it to a 40-40-20 diet and that would usually do the trick. Keep in mind, when I say those meal plans worked, it was only for those who stuck to them. I would usually put them on a plan than consisted of 5 meals spread throughout the day. Your statement of fighting hunger constantly is false, assuming of course people are eating real food. In fact, the number one complaint I got from people was that they were eating too much and struggling to finish their meals, even though I had them on a 500 calorie deficit. The key element is a balanced meal. You need protein and fats in conjunction with low glycemic carbs to ensure you control your glucose, and hence insulin, levels. So people understand better, I basically preach a modified Paleo diet. Modified in that I believe you can and should consume dairy, legumes, etc. Basically, if it comes from an animal or from the earth, and it will expire within a short time, it should be eaten.

Not denying he works his ass off and probably has nutrition figured out at least as far as his own body goes but there's gotta be some genetics at play here too. Good Lord.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Not to mention some tren and clen. Probably a little airbrushing and lighting as well.

Steroids and a clean diet. And I'm not saying that with a negative connotation but rather as someone who has had several friends supplement with steroids over the years. I think guys would be really surprised to realize the number of shredded dudes that are on or have taken steroids, I promise it's a lot higher than you've ever thought.

As far as diet goes, stick with JERF and you'll be healthy. Just Eat Real Food.
Pretty much all of them.

Not sure how a degree can carry absolutely no weight. I spent 4 years taking classes on everything related to the human body. Contrary to many beliefs, what I was taught was in no way related to what the government attempts to educate people on. In most my classes our professors actually scrutinized government health plans such as the food pyramid. I am saying this in the spirit of friendly debate, so I hope you don't take any offense, but there are multiple flaws in your above statement. A balanced diet has in no way failed our culture. It can simply be related to people quitting or not following it. Same can be said for the Keto diet as it has an extremely high failure rate. You mention a "carbohydrate based diet" so you may be confusing what I am saying with a diet high in carbohydrates. In addition to my degree, I was a NASM Certified Personal Trainer to put myself through school. I typically ran my clients on a 40% Protein - 30% Carbs - 30% Fat diet. The majority of people responded very well to that diet, but for the few that didn't I would alter it to a 40-40-20 diet and that would usually do the trick. Keep in mind, when I say those meal plans worked, it was only for those who stuck to them. I would usually put them on a plan than consisted of 5 meals spread throughout the day. Your statement of fighting hunger constantly is false, assuming of course people are eating real food. In fact, the number one complaint I got from people was that they were eating too much and struggling to finish their meals, even though I had them on a 500 calorie deficit. The key element is a balanced meal. You need protein and fats in conjunction with low glycemic carbs to ensure you control your glucose, and hence insulin, levels. So people understand better, I basically preach a modified Paleo diet. Modified in that I believe you can and should consume dairy, legumes, etc. Basically, if it comes from an animal or from the earth, and it will expire within a short time, it should be eaten.

I’m definitely not offended. I don’t even necessarily disagree with you. I just don’t like when people trash the low carb diet as some kind of a gimmick or fad. Millions of people have turned their lives around in the last few years on a low carb diet. That’s a great thing. Think about how ridiculous it is that this thread is trashing Josh Bomar because people on here think they know better about what he should be doing. Not a single person on here that’s criticizing him is in as good of shape as him. Now guys are trying to discredit him says he has good jeans, and is on steroids. If people think that steroids make him like that in spite of his bad diet, then why aren’t they taking them? As far as the degree, maybe went too far say it means nothing. I get a lot of my knowledge from people with degrees. But if someone is giving me advice on how to get in shape but isn’t in as good as shape as me, why would I listen to them?