Anyone cater to the eastern whitetail guys?

Poeschel

Lil-Rokslider
I know all the high end packs are great packs, but a lot of us eastern whitetail guys grew up with packs that had lots of pockets for easy organizing. All I see now are different size dump packs that you have to add pockets on to organize or buy separate stash pockets. Is there no high end option for us?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sitka makes a couple of tree stand specific packs, one that will carry a stand, and one that won't. Other than that it's slim pickings for a high end pack that's got a ton of organizing pockets already sewn on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've been an Eastern Deer hunter since the 80's and I still like a simple-cheap pack. I do use a better pack for long days with a gun in hand.

OP
P

Poeschel

Lil-Rokslider
I've been an Eastern Deer hunter since the 80's and I still like a simple-cheap pack. I do use a better pack for long days with a gun in hand.
I get that, I’ve just come to appreciate the better hardware, stitching and materials that come with a higher end pack.

Felix40

WKR
A big part of the draw to the higher end packs is being able to add of take off pockets. You can make it fit what you are doing a lot better.

cg2737

WKR
Check out the Kifaru Tarryall if you are looking for a high end pack with built in organization . If I am not carrying a stand I run the Tarryall. If you already have a frame I also like the Timberline 3.

OP
P

Poeschel

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Kifaru Tarryall if you are looking for a high end pack with built in organization . If I am not carrying a stand I run the Tarryall. If you already have a frame I also like the Timberline 3.
I don’t see either listed on their site, discontinued maybe?

cg2737

WKR
Yes they have both been discontinued. Eastern Ruck, Tarryalls can be found in the classifieds often. T3's are harder to find.

Thess87

WKR
I love my kifaru for everything except wt Treestand hunt. I have an old redhead or fieldline that I still like better for that. That being said people I hunt with all hunt private ground for whitetails and VERY rarely pack the stand in every time.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
What all do you have that you're trying to organize? I'm just trying to picture what someone could take hunting that would require more organization than a standard "dump" pack and a pocket or 2??

I have a pullout that serves as a "kill kit". Everything I'll need to dress and get the animal ready for the pack or drag out. Have a bag for food, and one for first aid/just in case type stuff. That's about it! Bags for meat, clothes, pad/bag and everything else is packed in the main bag. Binos, rangefinder, nalgene, gloves, light, and a snack are all in the lid or external pouch.

I never saw the need to have my pack up the tree with me. Easy enough to take just the lid or, put what I need in my pockets and start climbing.

Just curious here, no offense intended at all. I just don't get where much organization would be needed???

Last edited:
OP
P

Poeschel

Lil-Rokslider
What all do you have that you're trying to organize? I'm just trying to picture what someone could take hunting that would require more organization than a standard "dump" pack and a pocket or 2??

I have a pullout that serves as a "kill kit". Everything I'll need to dress and get the animal ready for the pack or drag out. Have a bag for food, and one for first aid/just in case type stuff. That's about it! Bags for meat, clothes, pad/bag and everything else is packed in the main bag. Binos, rangefinder, nalgene, gloves, light, and a snack are all in the lid or external pouch.

I never saw the need to have my pack up the tree with me. Easy enough to take just the lid or, put what I need in my pockets and start climbing.

Just curious here, no offense intended at all. I just don't get where much organization would be needed???
No offense taken, basically don’t have anymore gear than what you listed, but some packs have pockets to separate those. I used to have a cabelas lumbar pack with separate pockets for flashlight, rangefinder, calls, gps, knife, etc..... I hate rummaging through a bag to find a pouch and then rummage through the pouch to find something else.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
I gotcha, I can see how someone used to that might have reservations on packs without it.

cant help you much, other than saying I know most of the Badlands and Eberlestock packs I’ve seen in stores looked to have several pockets and pouches on them.

I use a Kuiu 3200 attached to a 24'' Bikini frame as my rifle hunt pack. It has a fair bit of storage and will hold an entire bone in doe or half a large buck. Anytime I'm mobile stand hunting the cheap fieldline is my go to.

Something else I've done in the past on cold hunts to a distant preset stand. I load by cheap pack like any other hunt and drop it in a big pack with all my heavy clothes. This way I have the simple organization I'm used to and the means to pack out a deer.

prm

WKR
I used my Stryker to bring out a ladder stand, but for actual hunting I use a much smaller, lighter pack. Not even sure what brand.

pc3

WKR
I'm surprised the outdoorsman butte 25 doesn't get more love. I used mine for the first time on the weekend, it worked well. In my view its perfect for those smaller hunts, half to full days. It can carry a useful amount of gear, and the bag itself weighs next to nothing. The straps are thin which works well given what you would carry for a short hunt and good for shot gun fit and snap rifle shooting.

fatlander

WKR
I have a badlands hydration style packs that’s my whitetail pack. It has enough lash points to lash extra layers that won’t fit in the pack.

I absolutely love my kifaru packs, but IMHO they don’t make a single pack quiet enough to whitetail hunt. Neither does MR, SG or Exo.

I use my kifaru frame to haul permanent sets around when I’m moving them in the off season.

My lone wolf rigged out with molle suspension is a frame in it of itself. I lash my little badlands pack and anything else I need to it. I turn the seat into a load shelf with a piece of paracord. My kifaru is in the truck if I can’t get it all out in one load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk