Anyone come to a realization how much weight they could cut...

Outdoorjoe318

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great post. I've spent who knows how much to shave weight, but at the same time hit a rough patch with family life and slipped to almost 30 pounds heavier than I was during September last year. Honestly hard to imagine I'm carrying that much extra weight around.

feanor

WKR
There’s at least 12 infomercial passive exercise/ fat burning gizmos you can use in the meantime. They really work!!!

MTForester

Lil-Rokslider
I'm honestly the opposite. At 6'1 165lbs, I could probably stand to gain some muscle in order to carry weight more effectively.
Problem is, I like to hike, run, and backcountry ski too much. Can't gain weight in the gym until I cut back on those more aerobic activities, which isn't going to happen.

I go pretty light. You can spend a lot of money buying lighter stuff, but the biggest gains are made by just taking less stuff.
Become comfortable with being uncomfortable. That will only come with lots of miles and nights out.

HNTR918

WKR
I like to take a two pronged approach. I'm 5'7'' and my first year elk hunting weighed 135 lbs. I've increased my weight lifting, functional training, weighted pack carry, Peloton conditioning, and now weigh 155 lbs. At the same time I've made major changes (~$5,000) to my setup to shed weight every year. My first year elk hunting late season rifle my skin out weight was 67 lbs for 6 days 5 nights. 4 years later its 38 lbs for the same amount of time and my comfort level and effectiveness has increased.

Steelhead

FNG
Wait until you hit 50 years old! Losing that weight becomes a LOT more difficult, at least its been that way for me. Lose it now and maintain it 'cause your body will thank you through the years.

I'm only 5'6" and stayed steady around 175 since my early 20'sl, always carried a hunk of baby fat but I didn't think that much since I've always been strong and a muscular frame...until I reduced the hell out of my carbs and intensified my workouts.
I'm down to around 163# now and still have love handles and a pinch in front...in other words I easily have 10# to go.
Was at 175# going into last elk season, would freaking love to go into 2020 season 20# lighter. Same gear, less fat. Means those bone-in quarters will be 20# lighter...kinda... Just wish it made the mountains less steep too.

Love this thread. I’m approaching 30 but my body type is ultra stocky...like, 225lbs and 5’10”. And when I was in the best shape of my life at 22 years old after Infantry Officer training I was maybe 210lbs. Haven’t been under 200lbs since high school. But my hunting buddy and I realized last year that if we could just lose 10lbs each we could’ve packed way more water into the backcountry and hunted longer (we’re in California A-zone, and hunted at 95-100 degrees multiple days in August...water is an issue). Still working on it though, it’s tough to lose weight...and I don’t drink a ton, don’t eat processed foods if I can avoid it, don’t eat fast food, and make my own meals 90% of the time. For me the biggest issue is portion control.

By just cutting a little weight?

I've worked hard over the last two years and spent more money than I care to admint to get to get my pack weight down. I'm at 38 lbs base pack weight set for a multi day trip with stove and tipi tent. 25 lb base pack weight for a day hunt, always prepped for quick overnight under a tarp/bivy. Gear for temps down to 0 deg F. That's along with my chest rig (6.5 lbs) with Vortex Fury binos, Glock 20 (grizz country), and some misc items like a windchecker, fire starter, tags, etc. My rifle is sitting at 10 lbs with scope, plus suppressor. (I realize my rifle is HEAVY compared to what most here tote, but I like the stability and range it offers.)

All that adds up to quite a bit of weight, about 66 lbs skin out (clothing worn, pack, chest rig, rifle, food, water), for a four day hunt.

I'm getting to the point of diminishing returns with lighter gear. I could upgrade to a DCF Cimmeron to save a few ounces here, or something lighter as far as a pack than the Kifaru Fulcrum (great bomb proof versatile pack, but hefty at around 7.5 lbs), I've debated picking up a Glock 29 instead of lugging around the 20.

But the OZ vs $$ are getting steep.

I've also realized at age 33 I've started to put on the lbs. I'm 5'9", 190 lbs. Not huge by any stretch, and I'm in halfway decent shape. I can still pass an Army PT test with ease, run an 8 min mile, etc, but I'm no where near where I was 10 years ago. I was 170-175 lbs soaking wet until I hit 30.

I realize I may never be in the shape I once was in my early 20s, but I could spend all the money in the world and never be able to drop 15-20 lbs off my pack weight at this point. However I could realistically do it by just getting back down to a healthier weight. I've been making some poor choices health wise lately, got into the habit of a bit of whiskey every night I wasn't at work to wind down. That's slowly crept into about a fifth a week habit. That's a lot of money on gear/tags if you add it all up, and a lot of calories too. I've cut out alcohol since the new year, started committing to working out at least 3x a week again, and have convinced the wife to quit bringing home junk food from the grocery store.

Well see how long it takes, and if just some basic lifestyle changes is enough to do it, but my goal is 175 lbs. That's a normal healthy weight for me, and that would be 15 less pounds to lug up the mountain. I think that will be the easiest, and cheapest way for me to further lighten the load!

I know I can't be the only one wanting to lose a few lbs this year, and if hunting is the excuse that makes me do it, then so be it!

I am in the same boat. Deployed in 2018 and dropped about 35lbs. Have gained some of that back and need to get back in gym now that it’s opened up and start hitting weights again, running and have all my gear now so pack hiking more. I’m 34 and actually got in better shape than I was in my 20s. I can cut some weight on my gear but I just spent ton of money trying to outfit my whole family so I was not able to get some of the higher end stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
You guys that got it on this thread when it started, where are you at now? I’m down 30 pounds and have probably had less than 18 beers this year. I quit drinking regularly and that fat just melted off. I’m assuming it doesn’t do this in another 10 years when I hit my late 30s. But I’ll take it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Santa

FNG
Good for you man! I'm 15 down over the last month and a half. ~10 more lbs to go. However, cutting out the booze is a no-go for me :cool: Haha! However,switching off of beer/wine has helped a ton. Cleaning up the diet is the A NUMBER ONE factor. Being stuck @ home has led to lots of wild game and fresh vegetables and NO junk food. That and daily exercise is paying off. Keep up the great work everyone!

208blake

FNG
Hunters reading this forum will be the survivors if anything crazy goes on lol

I made a decision the first of June last year to REALLY shed some weight. I was never overweight, 5’10” 170lbs the last few years. I got to that point lifting heavy weights trying to bulk up. It allowed me to justify eating anything I wanted. I realized at the age of 42 then, “getting swole” wasn’t a wise goal for my body. Being tone and fit is what I really needed and wanted. I drastically changed my diet to low low carbs, low sugars, more protein and 6 meals/snacks per day (essentially a keto meal plan). I had an Alaskan Moose Hunt the last of Sept first of October last year and I wanted to be in shape. I got down to 155lbs in 4 months. Made the hunt very manageable and a lot more enjoyable. I have continued my meal regimen while continuing to lift and cycle. Down to 150lbs this morning and easily maintaining. It’s definitely something you have to focus on daily to maintain but it’s something I want. No amount of money could drop my pack weight 20lbs. I have already exhausted dang near every possible purchase option available, as most of us have. Dropping body weight while maintaining fitness and strength is the key, and it’s way cheaper. Unfortunately the path of least resistance to buy lighter gear is the road more often traveled.

While I 100% agree, I would look at how much stuff you carry as well. You carry a LOT of weight. But again, yes, lose some weight. Im about 15 over what I should be. The heaviest I hike in is 2nd rifle season where it can be pretty chilly at night. I think I am still around 35 pounds with everything for 3 to 4 days. I do like it a little rough though...

blazinta

FNG
Classified Approved
Nailed it. I did the same thing a few months ago. I've gone from 197 to 178 with just a change in diet. Stopped drinking beer every night and stopped eating sweets and junk food. Other then that I haven't changed a thing.

One guy mentioned gaining some muscle weight. I 100% agree that losing weight isn't the key here.
Id rather be 205 solid muscle than 195 of soft useless chub. Muscle weighs more than fat, weve all heard that one.. my goal is also to exercise those big muscle groups in the thighs/legs.
Now, I hate having a ton of weight in my pack so I'm always carrying the bare minimum...

eamyrick

WKR
I started Keto/Carnivore before my latest backpacking trip and not only did I leave weighing a lot less my body required far less food. I hear podcasts talking about eating gummy bears and 3k calories a day and I think a lot of that is a dependence on sugar. Cutting the carbs saves body weight and food weight you need to take. (I’m 6’3 200lbs)

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
My profession is other people’s health, but I’d not taken care of my own. I’m 46 now, but my BMI last June officially fell into the obese range, >30, I’m 6’ and was 220. Had an archery elk hunt in Sept 2019 and had dropped to 183 the day prior to leaving for the hunt. Did this by habitually skipping lunch, eventually running 2 miles 4-5 days per week, and being reasonable with my two planned meals. My daily calorie counts were in the 1200kcal range. I was persistently hungry, but felt that I needed to feel that hunger to know I was in a truly catabolic state and burning my fat stores. I’m about 175 now, feel great, and can run a decent 5k without extraordinary effort. I’m really looking forward to another archery elk hunt in CO in a couple weeks, and hopefully another 30 seasons ahead of this one . Best of luck to y’all that are contemplating better health, it’s the best thing I’ve done for my family and myself, I wish you success!