Anyone digiscoping with a Kowa and a TSN-PA7?

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering if anyone is running this setup. Seems like Kowa makes the best integrated digiscoping accessories for their spotters but I can’t find much in the way of sample pictures or video out there.

idcuda

WKR
Yeah, there's not much info out there from real users. I've got one inbound (773) that I purchased from someone in the classifieds. Once I get it, I'll share my thoughts. I'll be connecting directly to my sony a6400.

OP
A

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, there's not much info out there from real users. I've got one inbound (773) that I purchased from someone in the classifieds. Once I get it, I'll share my thoughts. I'll be connecting directly to my sony a6400.

Please do, I'm very interested. Not only from an image quality standpoint but also if it provides a tight seal between the camera body to spotter eyepiece connection as it looks like camera specific adapter ring leaves the sensor area wide open still.

I'll be interested to hear feedback. I spoke with the folks at Novagrade who offer adapters that mount a DSLR with lens to your scope and then also adapters that mount the DLSR body directly to the scope. They said that the image quality of the former is superior.

idcuda

WKR
I got my 773 spotter and the digiscoping accessories. Only got to setup and try it for a few minutes, but I'm impressed. The 773 blows my 65mm razor out of the water. The PA7 and connections to my a6400 are solid - I don't see any obvious issues.

As I expected, I'll need to upgrade my tripod. The vortex summit ain't gonna cut it; there's way too much vibration. More to come once I get some time.

Last edited:

peterk123

WKR
I got my 773 spotter and the digiscoping accessories. Only got to setup and try it for a few minutes, but I'm impressed. The 773 blows my 65mm razor out of the water. The PA7A and connections to my a6400 are solid - I don't see any obvious issues.

As I expected, I'll need to upgrade my tripod. The vortex summit ain't gonna cut it; there's way too much vibration. More to come once I get some time.
We do not digiscope, but use some large lenses with our camera. Try using a remote shutter before you get another tripod. We just did it. Game changer; and cost like 25 bucks :)

idcuda

WKR
We do not digiscope, but use some large lenses with our camera. Try using a remote shutter before you get another tripod. We just did it. Game changer; and cost like 25 bucks :)

Good point - I do have one that I plan to use. The 10 second delay was enough for a few pics in this case, but I'll need to play with some weight and leg lengths to try to minimize the shakes. And, I think I have a great excuse to aquire some new gear, so there's that!

idcuda

WKR
Haven't had a lot of time behind this yet, but I'm striking out on the digiscoping. Everything has been too shaky, so I know I need to get my shutter speed up a bunch; 1/500 or faster according to Kowa's site. I'll keep playing with it and bumping my ISO until I get some clarity. I'll be adding some more comments to a review I started, too.

if it provides a tight seal between the camera body to spotter eyepiece connection
Regarding this, the PA7 does have an integrated lens that keeps any contaminants from reaching the camera's sensor. I'm not sure if that was your primary concern, but dust will not be an issue while the PA7 is connected to the camera.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I got my 773 spotter and the digiscoping accessories. Only got to setup and try it for a few minutes, but I'm impressed. The 773 blows my 65mm razor out of the water. The PA7 and connections to my a6400 are solid - I don't see any obvious issues.

Yeah, that Summit isn't gonna cut it with that setup lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Any update?

I admit that I did try the PA7 with my A7R3 and 883, but wasn't impressed so I sold off the PA7. However, I was using a lightweight tripod set up so in hindsight I think that really degraded picture quality. Now that I have a set of RRS 3-series legs, I am considering repurchasing. I would definitely also crank up the shutter speed as fast as I could get away with.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Have a PA7 but haven't spent a bunch of time with it. I find the install on my 773 pretty easy compared to the camera adapter for my Bushnell Elite spotter that requires the eyepiece to be removed for install.