anyone do flatiron steaks (elk)?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen them on menus in restaurants, seem to be gaining in popularity- beef of course, have never tried one though. Buddy convinced me to cut one from the front shoulder- there was a large-ish tendon in the middle of it I had to fillet out, but have to say it looks pretty good.

It's on the menu for Thursday night, so any insight on cooking it would be most welcome :)

One of my favorite pieces... I do them pretty plain in the cast iron. Salt and cracked pepper in a little olive oil and butter. Sauté some garlic and mushrooms in the pan after you take out the meat to rest, and put that over the top.

EastMT

WKR
Yup, it’s the best steak on the animal. I will avoid a shoulder shot at all costs for that steak.

So take the chunk, fillet it down the middle gristle like you would a salmon. Then fillet the gristle off the other side. You end up with 2 1” think pieces. Season, grill to preferred temp(less than well done ideal), and slice across the grain.

Jtay561

FNG
Excellent cut of meat. While not a large cut, I will take the time to cut flatirons off any decent sized deer.
If you like or are interested in trying carpaccio, the flat irons off a whitetail are the perfect cut for this. Great tender cut that has a nice grain.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks Gents; I think my plan is to grill at high heat, I'll cover the steak in olive oil, coarse salt and pepper- 4-5 minutes on one side, flip and then pull it at 130 degrees, let it rest for 5-ish minutes and slice against the grain

my wife is going to make mashed potatoes (her secret recipe that includes cream cheese) and a zucchini/tomato dish for sides- I'm wiping a little bit of drool out of the corner of my mouth as I type :D

EastMT

WKR
thanks Gents; I think my plan is to grill at high heat, I'll cover the steak in olive oil, coarse salt and pepper- 4-5 minutes on one side, flip and then pull it at 130 degrees, let it rest for 5-ish minutes and slice against the grain

my wife is going to make mashed potatoes (her secret recipe that includes cream cheese) and a zucchini/tomato dish for sides- I'm wiping a little bit of drool out of the corner of my mouth as I type :D

Time and coordinates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never understood why folks let meat sit after cooking. I see the TV chefs recommending that all the time, sometimes for 15 minutes. They always say it lets the juices redistribute. I'll just say I don't like it after the juices redistribute.....I guess. Because every time I've tried the resting part, the meat never comes out as good as it does when it's right off the grill or out of the oven. At my house, my family knows that they need to be seated, blessing said, and ready to eat before I pull it off the grill or out of the oven because as soon as that meat hits my plate.....I'm digging in. I think part of it is how the fat changes during that rest time, and the other part is.........it's just not sizzling hot anymore. There's nothing better than a prime prime rib right out of the oven.

As for the flatiron steak......sometimes I grill it up (but closer to 2 min per side), and sometimes I grind it with the rest.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually let stuff rest for 5 minutes, very rarely longer- I do pull it off the grill a touch rarer than I would serve it

this is the first time I’ve ever used anything off the front shoulder except burger; my buddy uses several cuts- we’ll see what I’ve been missing

Favorite cut. I save backstrap for gifts and guests, but the flatiron gets guarded jealously. Once you fillet out the big tendon in the middle, I often fillet each of those again so they're nice and thin. Salt and pepper, then sear like hell in a cast iron with butter or oil. Maybe 2 min a side.

It's gotta be a good-sized deer for me to bother cutting them out, but for elk it's a no-brainer. I'd way rather have the extra steaks than a few more pounds of burger or stew.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well Gents- a huge success last night :) Rubbed the steaks with olive oilI, coarse slat and pepper. It was cold out and the grill didn't get as hot as I hoped, but grilled the steaks a little longer on the first side to get them slightly browned, flipped them and then as soon as it hit 130 pulled them and let them rest 5 minutes. I'd say right in between rare and medium rare.

Not as tender as tenderloin (wasn't expecting that anyways), but tender enough and really good flavor. No more grinding those cuts :D

sndmn11

WKR
Did you slice across the grain like a skirt steak or london broil? I've always thought them to be more tender than just about anything that was low/slow cooked for half a day

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup against the grain; they’re not over thick as you have to cut them in half lengthwise to get out the big strip of silver tissue, so cooking time isn’t very long.