Anyone else moving away from USAA?

Been with USAA since the mid 1990s and it seems like their trimming their services way back. Two of my IRA accounts held with USAA were moved to Victory Capital and Charles Schwab in the past year and I had a insurance issue with my last pickup that I wasn't necessarily pleased with. Had awesome customer service through the years but I'm slowly moving on. Already moved away from Victory Capital and plan on doing the same with Schwab. Dropped their banking services years ago and plan on moving on for vehicle insurance.

I am still with them and have been for almost 20 years. Nothing but great service. I don’t have any of their investment stuff though. I had an insurance claim on my house last year and they did a great job.

cmahoney

WKR
I still have them for all of my insurance. My Roth IRA was moved to Schwab and it ended up being a good thing. Schwab is much more user friendly to move stuff around than USAA was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

WKR
Same here. Insurance has been awesome. Thats the only thing I use them for.
Been with them over 25 years.

marktole

WKR
I just use them for checking and savings. Also not pleased with their investment stuff, so have been meaning to move that out of Victory Capital. Went away from their insurance after I found the same coverage for half the price elsewhere.

Brianmp01

WKR
I still use them for regular banking, but got rid of my insurance through them it was good in CA then I moved to Ohio and there rates were garbage so I switched.

Had to have them while stationed over seas and hated them. Rates aren't competitive at all and it was always a minimum of and hour conversation with them. Everything I've heard from others is if you have to use them they are great. However, your going to pay for it. Your rates skyrocket if you ever have a claim.

Cancelled their insurance when my oldest son went on the policy. Their rates for young drivers aren’t even close to competitive. Probably will end up back there when the youngest leaves the house.

always used fidelity for investments.
Funny how people’s experiences can be so different. I found them to be the best for younger drivers. I have had two boys on my policy and they have been great with great prices. I know I can get insurance a little cheaper somewhere else, but it is with the piece of mind to me knowing they will take care of us no matter what. At least that had been my experience. I will say location probably plays a role also.

My oldest was full time driver on a Jeep Wrangler and a Corvette.

gburk

WKR
We found them uncompetitive on auto and home insurance long ago, before we had younger drivers. Haven’t checked lately.

260madman

WKR
Ditched them 15 years ago for insurance. I still have a CC with them that I’ve had over 25 years. No need to cancel that and take the CR ding. Pay it off every month.

WKR
I just have a CC with them, I never found their insurance to be competitive with other companies. I did have my first mortgage with them but I never shopped around. I just assumed they were the best and I am

Hoot

WKR
The only thing I have ever used them for is an auto loan, I took the maximum rebate on dealer financing deal, then after 6 months, refi'd with USAA, then paid the loan off a year later. Saved ~7500 on the deal, and had a payment for 18 months instead of paying cash for the vehicle. Never even spoke to a person at USAA, handled it all online.

Insurance I find to be non-competitive for rates, banking doesn't have any pros that outweigh wells fargo or my local bank...

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Been with USAA since the mid 1990s and it seems like their trimming their services way back. Two of my IRA accounts held with USAA were moved to Victory Capital and Charles Schwab in the past year and I had a insurance issue with my last pickup that I wasn't necessarily pleased with. Had awesome customer service through the years but I'm slowly moving on. Already moved away from Victory Capital and plan on doing the same with Schwab. Dropped their banking services years ago and plan on moving on for vehicle insurance.
YES!!! After 20+ years as a member, they jacked my insurance rates (never had a single claim) and I had enough and called the green wheenie and saved a bunch as the story goes.

I still retained their banking, but that has become frustrating as well. They then sold my mortgage, which was not fun either. I made many phone calls and emails regarding their marketing slogan "we know what it means to serve" and well, its BS. They are not the same company they were 10 years ago.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Our rates couldn't help but go up here in CO........we had two of the most costly fires in state history in 2012 and 2013, then another to the north, and then several this last year, and then all the hail storms we get every single year.........I'm surprised that CO residents are even still insurable. But every time I get one of those insurance letters trying to get me to switch, I have to laugh at their rates.....which are still way more than I pay with USAA.

Only insurance with them now. They are far from being competitive it seems like with banking and loans products. I think they do take for granted that they will receive the majority of all service members business. They feel they don’t have to compete and then they use their “we serve service members best” as endless marketing in all their ad campaigns.

Banking only, their insurance is much higher than the other quotes I have gotten. I check annually with many providers to see if I am missing anything, they are usually the highest.