Anyone else on here that DOESN’T shoot a lightweight rifle particularly well?

I won’t get into all of the details, but I’ve racked up ~$3,000 in losses over a 4 year period by selling several rifles that I didn’t shoot particularly well.

I used to shoot benchrest and hi-power competitions, so of course, I shoot a 12lb+ rifle better. Maybe I’m being unrealistic in my expectations of a sub 6-7lb rifle ...

Anyone else struggle to shoot a super lightweight rifle well?

I struggle with them. Actually I believe most folks do when comparing them to rifles that weigh a little more. I wanted to like the Model 7 Rem Rifles so bad I couldn’t stand it. Bad enough I’ve tried 3 different ones and couldn’t shoot any of them accurately enough to please me. Tikka’s are about as light as I can go and still be accurate without having to be on a very steady rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
I have to really pay attention to the Kimber Montanas and a couple of custom lightweights that I have. These guns will all shoot very well but you can't just sit down, find your target and squeeze the trigger. I really do enjoy carrying the lightweights as all of the hills that I climb seem to be getting steeper but last year I bought two rifles...…. one weighs 8 pounds and the other weighs 9 pounds all dressed up.

gbflyer

WKR
I’m not shooting anything well right now. Maybe a need a rail gun.

I love those lightweights. Amazes me how light they can get them. Amazes me more when guys talk about shooting them into MOA 10 shot groups with no vertical. I can’t do that with my 14# beast.

It is possible to shoot lightweight rifles accurately... but they definitely require good form - and greatly magnify any errors.

Case in point - the past couple weeks been shooting my Tikka SL in 6.5 and my Montana in 308 trying out loads. First two weekends out with the Montana I was all over the place... pull the Tikka out, I could shoot bug holes, started to think "I guess I lost at Kimber roulette"... even went as far as planning to buy another Tikka in 308 if I couldn't manage shooting the Kimber well this weekend. Thing is, vertically I was dead on... it was just horizontal stringing. You could literally put a straight edge under the shots and it would be straight across. This gave me some hope.

I read up on shooting lightweight rifles, then I went and bought a trigger gauge. Turns out, the trigger pull on my Montana was somewhere around 2.5lbs. For a 6lb all up rifle, its too heavy(at least for me). I lightened it as light I could without it slam firing(1.75lbs), and yesterday put up a 3/4" group. Its not impossible, but it definitely requires concentration. I plan on trying to stretch it out to 400-500 yards this weekend. I didn't buy the rifle for long range hunting so if I can manage hitting my 9" plate at those distances I'll be satisfied with the rifle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is - they can be great, but, before you buy know what you're getting into and the limitations of a lightweight rifle. They ain't thousand yard paper killers.

It is possible to shoot lightweight rifles accurately... but they definitely require good form - and greatly magnify any errors.

Case in point - the past couple weeks been shooting my Tikka SL in 6.5 and my Montana in 308 trying out loads. First two weekends out with the Montana I was all over the place... pull the Tikka out, I could shoot bug holes, started to think "I guess I lost at Kimber roulette"... even went as far as planning to buy another Tikka in 308 if I couldn't manage shooting the Kimber well this weekend. Thing is, vertically I was dead on... it was just horizontal stringing. You could literally put a straight edge under the shots and it would be straight across. This gave me some hope.

I read up on shooting lightweight rifles, then I went and bought a trigger gauge. Turns out, the trigger pull on my Montana was somewhere around 2.5lbs. For a 6lb all up rifle, its too heavy(at least for me). I lightened it as light I could without it slam firing(1.75lbs), and yesterday put up a 3/4" group. Its not impossible, but it definitely requires concentration. I plan on trying to stretch it out to 400-500 yards this weekend. I didn't buy the rifle for long range hunting so if I can manage hitting my 9" plate at those distances I'll be satisfied with the rifle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is - they can be great, but, before you buy know what you're getting into and the limitations of a lightweight rifle. They ain't thousand yard paper killers.

I was reading through this thread and was about to comment that trigger weight should be proportional to rifle weight. My 15# 300WM is fine to shoot with a 3 lb trigger but a 5# AR in 6.5Grendel had to get a clean 2# trigger to start getting legit groups. Now that I am putting that chunky 300WM on a diet to get it to 8lbs I am going to have to do something about that trigger too.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I can shoot a lightweight rifles fairly well on a bench or in a good prone position. In the field I’m not near as stable even in the prone sometimes. This is why it’s important to get out there and test yourself and your rifle in as many field shooting positions as possible before you break the trigger on an animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think another thing thats happened more recently is the availability and affordability of lightweight rifles coming to market. Some time ago, to get a lightweight rifle it was a full custom job or something that cost an arm and a leg(I.e. NULA) so folks were more invested to bend themselves to make it work. Nowadays, you can go grab a 5lb rifle off the shelf at your local big box store for not much more than the nicer rifles... I think thats lead to a lot of people buying and being disappointed because it didn't shoot like every other rifle they've shot. I know Kimber has had issues in the past, but I wonder how many "bad rifles" weren't really bad, it was just the nut behind the trigger not really knowing what they bought?

elkguide

WKR
One of the Kimbers that I own was from a guy that told me it was absolute junk and even though he had sent it back to Kimber 3 times it still wouldn't shoot. My first three shots with factory ammo were under an inch off a bench...…..

One of the Kimbers that I own was from a guy that told me it was absolute junk and even though he had sent it back to Kimber 3 times it still wouldn't shoot. My first three shots with factory ammo were under an inch off a bench...…..

People like that are great for getting good gear cheap.

OP
MTElkChaser
I agree Ryan. I’m pretty good at the bench too, but I clearly need to practice shooting off of my pack more and in some pretty uncomfortable shooting positions.

I missed the sheep of a lifetime this season and it’s killing me - at my age (50) if I did draw another tag, I’d likely be too old to traverse the mountains ... I took my custom 5.5lb titanium action, Proof barrel, Manners stock rifle - and now I’m wishing I would have carried a 9lb rifle instead.

Again, I’m not saying that lightweight rifles can’t be shot well - by others. I’ve just learned that as much as I’m drawn to the lightweight rigs - I’m staying away from them personally due to my own difficulty shooting them well enough to have 100% confidence.

gbflyer

WKR
I agree Ryan. I’m pretty good at the bench too, but I clearly need to practice shooting off of my pack more and in some pretty uncomfortable shooting positions.

I missed the sheep of a lifetime this season and it’s killing me - at my age (50) if I did draw another tag, I’d likely be too old to traverse the mountains ... I took my custom 5.5lb titanium action, Proof barrel, Manners stock rifle - and now I’m wishing I would have carried a 9lb rifle instead.

Again, I’m not saying that lightweight rifles can’t be shot well - by others. I’ve just learned that as much as I’m drawn to the lightweight rigs - I’m staying away from them personally due to my own difficulty shooting them well enough to have 100% confidence.

Oh man that’s brutal. Did you leave the rifle on the mountain wrapped around a rock? Kidding of course but I’m sure the temptation was there.

Part of the problem is the poor ergonomics of sporter stocks. Lightweight stocks with better ergonomics (more vertical grip, better cheek weld, etc) don't incur much of a weight penalty but most light factory rifles seem to come with stocks that just aren't conducive to accuracy.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

A brake helps recoil but does nothing for stability in position. The best fix for stability is more practice in odd positions and bone-to-bone contact in position. A rifle held up by muscles will always sway and shake - muscles are not steady. A relaxed bone-to-bone position not held by muscles is always steadier.

I honestly think companies like Kimber would be money ahead to include on the trigger guard along with the "sub moa guarantee" card, a card that states "if you don't have experience shooting lightweight rifles you should probably read up on it before you go dropping your cash"... maybe a card that has the pointers you can find online.

I honestly think companies like Kimber would be money ahead to include on the trigger guard along with the "sub moa guarantee" card, a card that states "if you don't have experience shooting lightweight rifles you should probably read up on it before you go dropping your cash"... maybe a card that has the pointers you can find online.

You ever see a guy at the gun store admit they do NOT have experience with anything put in his hands?

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
My light weight long range rifle weighs 7.2 lbs scoped, I have never shot it off a bench and believe that's why I can shoot it well.
I lay in the dirt off a bipod, and I shoot it a lot all year round (which I think is key).
Took my bull at 940 yards with it last season.
Also I use a neoprene cheek piece on my ultralight stock, it really helps with shootability.