Anyone else sore?

Just got back from a little weekend adventure down on the buffalo for the muzzleloader opener and after getting out of my workout routine since elk season I can’t hardly walk this morning. Little about the hunt we went in about 5 miles got bluffed out and ended up just camping on the river. Hunted a bit Saturday morning(nothing too hard it was a deluxe camping trip) seen two does and a 15 wide 8 point nothing crazy and a smaller buck Sunday morning before heading back out. Oh btw from time we left to time we got back to the truck our best headcount came out between 70-80 hikers the leaves were offley pretty. Anyhow the 5 miles we came in were about 75% down hill so to get back out naturally we had a long hike back up hill and it killed me. All that to say what’s yalls offseason workout routine to stay in “decent” shape I’m more of a workout when I have to kinda guy but I stay really active so I don’t really ever get overweight so putting the pack on 3 days a week year round just seems a bit unnecessary for a few tough hunts a year.

Attachments

• 39F3739A-EFE3-4FDC-86B0-72D488074B3E.jpeg
    39F3739A-EFE3-4FDC-86B0-72D488074B3E.jpeg
    538.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 3CFA6ABE-869C-47C0-AB6D-5F0E1D18F4BA.jpeg
    3CFA6ABE-869C-47C0-AB6D-5F0E1D18F4BA.jpeg
    539 KB · Views: 68

Kiwi1

FNG
Yep, I was after pounding mountains in Tex Creek Idaho
Going down hills uses muscles in the knees that we do not use - I was given stretching exercises by a physical therapist to address, and even got a dr to shoot both knees up with steroids before the hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opah

WKR
Took my Wife out with me this weekend, it was a plus plus experience. Now she understands why on the first hunt or two I come back legs sore as heck. So i rubbed the BenGay on her calfs.

rclouse79

WKR
I packed my mule deer and camp of the mountain for three hours in the rain. Took a week before I could walk right again.

Rob5589

WKR
3+ hours on my knees cutting up a bull, then solo pack out of 1.5 miles, two trips. I was sore but man, I swear by Aleve. Two of those at bed time and I was 80% by morning.

Yep, sore as hell. We call ourselves the flatland fatties. We try to take it easy the 1st day but it never works out this year was 12 miles. the 1st 3 hours were up and up and up. The last hour was so much worse down, down, down.. the bottom of my feet were burning and my knees were in pain.

But I'm ready to go back now lol

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
thankfully our minds and bodies have short memories of the pain...prior success and thoughts of success can push us on, but my friend at this age is also aleve🤙

Yep. I have a good exercise routine 10 months out of the year. Come hunting season it takes me a few days to get soreness down and I get one or two exercises in and its back on the mountain. I need to do a better job of taking in nutrition throughout my hike instead of just when I stop.

Laramie

WKR
Of course- Right after I got home from my elk hunt...wait. My mind is somewhere else - I thought the title said score.