anyone even use bushnell optics anymore?

sk1

WKR
i know a lot of their stuff seems to be on the lower end, but still surprised i never hear much about their optics in conversation anymore.

what about the elite series binos and spotters, anyone have any reviews? i plan on buying vortex but did happen to notice it's not hard to find a good price on their elite's.....to me it almost seems like bushnell in general is starting to fade away

dotman

WKR
Yeah, I even have their oulet store a few minutes from me and hardly ever see anyone there. They are based out of here KC and I don't understand how they are still in business because you only hear about their range finders anymore and that is only people talking about the old one they are using but not upgrading yet.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know about fading. I believe they just bought out primos. I agree you don't hear much about them on these sites. The only personal knowledge I have of their products is a cheap scope that came on a gun I bought as a spare / loaner. I planned on putting a better scope on it but I was surprised at how well it worked and I left it on. It doesn't pull light like a high end model but it shoots great and I don't worry about letting my nephew borrow it. I have wondered about some of their higher end stuff after using this cheap scope but I haven't picked any of it up to try.

wapitibob

WKR
I bought my wife a $49 set of Bushnell 10x42 in NM one year. Not bad for the occasional glance thru the brush.
I bought a $69 rifle scope one year too. Rocked it's world with every shot.

Bushnell binoculars may have lost their place with serious hunters, but a ton of people own binos for things like going to football games or tourists who carry a pair in their minivan on their summer vacation. There is probably always gonna be a big market for cheap binoculars, with people who don't do much put much time into studying what is available.

I have been using their trail cams and have been happy with them. A couple years ago I narrowed it down to Reconyx or Bushnell. Reconyx was the way to go at the time based on performance, but at almost 1/3 the price I was able to buy twelve of the Bushnells rather then four Reconyx and cover a lot more spots. At the price of the Bushnells I won't have a heart attack if one gets stolen.

FURMAN

WKR
I have 5 Elites, one 6500, three 4200s, and one 3200. I am not impressed with the 3200 but it is on a 17 HMR so it serves its purpose. The 4200s and the 6500 rival anything in there class for less money. Unfortunately the 4200s are not longer made. I also have a pair of Excursion Exs which looked just as good as some of the binoculars that cost twice the money but obviously are no where near Swaros. I have a Excursion FLP which I am still up in the air about. After reading all the great reviews on Optics Talk about the spotter am am not sure I agree. The binos and spotter will be getting upgaded asap. I have two Bushnell trail cams that work great but I have nothing to compare them to.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Bushnell makes a range of optics products. They make an excellent binocular for the money called the Legend HD. The original Elite binocular was an open-bridge design, and was one of the best deals going in binoculars. Unfortunatedly the newer single bridge Elites don't perform quite up to the older version, IMO.

Their Elite 4200 and 3200 lines have been remade into the Elite line, and the quality seems pretty good, but they moved manufacturng of some Elite models to China. The 6500 line is pretty nice.

The Elite ED spotters are good.

The Elite 1600 rangefinder has excellent, reliable, and fast long-range ranging capabilites. It is one of the best values going for someone that needs to range way out there.

The biggest problem Bushnell faces is their hit-and-miss customer service reports. I think Vortex really has them beat in this area.

dotman

WKR
Ok so here I am at Cabelas during their sale, I see now why bushnell is still in business. I also feel many many people are not on forums.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
I can tell you I have some of bushnells cheaper optics from years ago, big mistake...in fact maybe someone on ebay wants them for like $15 lol

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
As a follow-up, I thought you would like to know that today I heard about a Canadian Bushnell customer that had an issue with a dark shape coming into the FOV of his Elite 4200 scope at the lowest magnification. The customer said the scope was still otherwise performing. The customer contacted Bushnell and they paid to ship his scope in for service. He mailed it on 04/09/12, and received a NIB replacement scope on 05/14/12. That is pretty good customer service.

I wouldn't just discount Bushnell when considering an optics purchase, especially the Elite 6500 line of riflescopes (particularly the 2.5-16), and the Elite rangefinders. I have owned a Bushnell Elite 1500 for several years that has been very good to me. They also have some newer Elite Tactical scopes that have a lot of features for the money, and seem to be well suited to the long range hunter. The buzz on those scopes is very good.

I bought an Elite 4200 3-9X40 last fall. Cabelas had them on sale for $199. Its on my .300 Wby now. Seems like a pretty good scope, but I haven't used it much.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I have their Elite 4200 3-9 scope on my 243. It works great and I dont think you could beat it for the $200 price tag. They make a bunch of junk though.

I've never looked through any of their bino's and decided to take them home. These days I dont even look at them.