Anyone ever broken...

I smashed by little toe and three neighbors on the door jamb coming back to bed from a trip to the head in the middle of the night about 6 weeks ago, three weeks later my foot, same one, slips off the bench doing split squats and the big toe got driven straight into the floor, like I was trying to kick a 60 yard field goal ! Purple and black, cracked the nail straight across, not fun. It's still swollen, leuko tape over a piece of moleskin as padding and it's tolerable. I'll probably have half a roll of tape on my feet when I walk out of camp.

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
I was loading beer glasses into my beer fridge a few weeks ago and when I opened the freezer something had shifted and I tried rearranging while balancing the stack of glasses in one hand. Of course the bottom two stacked glasses slipped from the stack and fell into my barefoot big toe. You don't really think about it but two beer glasses stacked are quite heavy and absolutely smashed my toe. I am praying daily that the nail waits to fall off until October because it's gonna hurt if it happens in the woods.

OP
G

GPool1842

WKR
I smashed by little toe and three neighbors on the door jamb coming back to bed from a trip to the head in the middle of the night about 6 weeks ago, three weeks later my foot, same one, slips off the bench doing split squats and the big toe got driven straight into the floor, like I was trying to kick a 60 yard field goal ! Purple and black, cracked the nail straight across, not fun. It's still swollen, leuko tape over a piece of moleskin as padding and it's tolerable. I'll probably have half a roll of tape on my feet when I walk out of camp.

Ouch.. my other foot is starting to hurt form compensating for the broken toe. X-rays showed it cracked laterally across. Doc said typical break is diagonal up the toe. Not good! Foot issues suck!!!

I’m on that Leukotape too. Heard Barklow and Snider talking about it on Kifarucast and it has worked wonders for buddy taping the toes and not coming off. That stuff is awesome. I’ll have a roll out during the hunt for sure..

88man

FNG
I broke the toe next to the pinky a month prior and had a severe neroma issue with that foot and I was getting shots from the podiatrist. The hunt wasnt a backpack hunt just unit 76 colorado elk hunt

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
This thread is clearly to blame, but two nights ago I broke and dislocated my pinky toe on a door frame while running into the bathroom to deal with my 3 yo son who was in the bath and pouring water on the floor. Pinky toe looked like it was giving a thumbs up. Orthopedist said to just tape it for 4-6 weeks. Should be good by mule deer opener in 4 weeks and elk in 5.

OP
G

GPool1842

WKR
This thread is clearly to blame, but two nights ago I broke and dislocated my pinky toe on a door frame while running into the bathroom to deal with my 3 yo son who was in the bath and pouring water on the floor. Pinky toe looked like it was giving a thumbs up. Orthopedist said to just tape it for 4-6 weeks. Should be good by mule deer opener in 4 weeks and elk in 5.

That’s terrible! It sucks! I ended up buying a carbon fiber insole and it has helped keep the toe from bending during the day. Mine is still pretty painful.

Use the luekotape for the taping. That stuff just works...

Due to reading the thread, I've now placed slippers by my bed so I will go nowhere bare foot even in the middle of the night.

Leave in 2 weeks!

Just snapped my pinky toe on a chair leg today! It was sticking straight out to the side. Leaving next Wednesday for a week of high country muleys so hopefully it heals up quick because I'm going either way. How'd your hunt end up?

elkyinzer

WKR
Adrenaline is a helluva drug. You have the whole offseason to heal right. Take it easy leading up to your hunt and then give it hell, its just a toe.

OP
G

GPool1842

WKR
Just snapped my pinky toe on a chair leg today! It was sticking straight out to the side. Leaving next Wednesday for a week of high country muleys so hopefully it heals up quick because I'm going either way. How'd your hunt end up?

I laughed at this! I feel for you... my hunt was awesome. Toe hurt with every step. Did 75 miles over 9 days, solo. Had multiple opportunities but didn’t do my part behind the longbow. Incredible time tho.

Side hilling was the worst. My toe is healed now (I think) but it bugs me often. Points up at an angle and catches when I put socks on LOL. Is what it is though.. could be worse!

Don’t leave home without leukotape!

87TT

WKR
Last year During the middle of elk season, I took a Saturday to grab some more firewood and had a little booboo with a chainsaw. As the ER Doc was finishing up the 15 staples right above my knee, he told me that I had to take it easy and to be sure not to bend my knee and rip them out. I told him I would be careful but I would be elk hunting in the AM. I did hunt the rest of the season. It made getting over deadfalls and out of my tent a little harder. Don't even ask about 💩 out in the woods.

BradNSW

FNG
Broke a toe bad, coming out of a swim in a triathlon. Jammed it in the bike and then run shoes. Hurt like heck. This was 3 weeks before deer season and it hurt like hell with my hunting boots...neighbor tape helped but also think about either cutting some padding off the inside of the boot or if they are on their last season, cut a hole for your toe (that's what I ended up doing) and pain was minimal. I backpack hunt, so constant pain for days on end would have just added stress. Good luck, you'll do figure it out and do fine!

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
2 seasons ago I had a bad ankle sprain that also broke my little toe on same foot 2 wks before rifle elk backpack hunt. As mentioned ibuprofen or Aleve helps. Hunting is about moving slow so that helps too. Ice it down in a creek at end of the day. You’ll be fine.