Anyone Ever Carry Two Complete Camps??

So I drew a New Mexico tag in a Unit that I have never hunted. I have done some very productive scouting so far as well as met a few awesome Locals that have helped me out a ton. From the looks of it It will most likely be best for me to truck camp and day hunt. If that is the case I plan on bringing good food(steaks,salad,veggies) something comfy to sleep on(blow up mattress) and not worrying about weight at all.

However some of the area I am wanting to hunt is around 3+ miles from where I am planning to camp and roads. SO just in case the hike in and out is absolutely horrible, I am planning on bringing all the stuff to backpack in for 5-6 days at a time. Lightweight tent, mountain house, all that good stuff.

Is this a good Idea or a dumb Idea??

I will be hunting the entire second archery season if necessary so 10 days.

colonel00

WKR
We've done hunts where we have an Alaknak setup by the truck with cots and all sorts of comfort. Then have a "spike camp" load out in case we want to stay further in. I don't see a reason not to do it unless you aren't allowed to camp near the vehicle. Worst case scenario, storms roll in and you still have a comfy base camp to fall back on.

rbljack

WKR
We've done hunts where we have an Alaknak setup by the truck with cots and all sorts of comfort. Then have a "spike camp" load out in case we want to stay further in. I don't see a reason not to do it unless you aren't allowed to camp near the vehicle. Worst case scenario, storms roll in and you still have a comfy base camp to fall back on.

I agree with this logic....been upgrading gear to continue down this path. Camping from the truck makes for a comfortable hunt, but if you plan to get way back on a particular day....it makes perfect sense to me to spike camp for the night way back in where the elk are, and then come back to base camp the next day or two later if things aren't working out.

Just seems like a reasonable way to go, but cant say Ive done it in practice very much yet.

Congrats on the NM tag btw....I came up empty on the elk, but will have a deer tag to try and fill.

gumbl3

WKR
All the time.. I know I can drive into an area site unseen and setup a pretty decent base camp. More than likely I'll be using the truck to jump from trailhead to trailhead if things aren't working well so I'll base somewhere pretty accessible to all. That cot sure feels good after a few nights on the ground.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I read the title I thought you meant two complete camps on your back, and that would be a NO.

But I always have my base camp with wall tent set up, and always have my back country camp setup ready to go as well.

Beendare

WKR
The Colonels idea is a winner..... the best strategy for ranging out in an unknown area. Spiking out for one day or even two can be done very light.

Depending on the unit, in NM there are a lot of guys running the roads and when you get 1/2 mi off a raod you don't see many hunters.....at least thats been my experience hunting 3 diff units in NM.

Dameon

WKR
I truck camp and carry a bivy camp on me with enough food for an overnight plus a day. My day pack set up is on the heavy side (27 pounds), but my Longbow pack handles it with ease. I just hate the idea of bedding down game and missing an opportunity because I was back at camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jtelarkin08
I had planned on just camping in but after looking at everything I think this is def the way to go. It will be nice to not have to eat mountain house every night. Plus a regular pillow and a blow up mattress will be nice too.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be ready to spend 2-3 days at a time out if I need to.

xziang

WKR
Unless you are driving a MiniCooper or SmartCar I would take 2 set ups! :)

I will sometimes suffer in a 3 person tent car camping if I'm by myself for the cot will still fit inside of it otherwise I'll take a bigger tent.

Well worth it in my opinion and gives you more 'options'.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I read the title I thought you meant two complete camps on your back, and that would be a NO.

But I always have my base camp with wall tent set up, and always have my back country camp setup ready to go as well.

This ^^ and I usually have enough or more for a spare backcountry camp as well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This ^^ and I usually have enough or more for a spare backcountry camp as well.

Me too. The funny thing is, I use a 14x16 wall tent, a Copper Spur UL2, and a CS UL4, and I generally hunt solo.

Plus a regular pillow and a blow up mattress will be nice too.

As to the air mattress idea.......I'd make sure it is insulated. It is unreal how cold you can get sleeping on just an air mattress. I tried that on a queen size regular air mattress in the middle of July one time, and froze more than during late season hunts.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
that's a great Plan, if you kill that bull 3 hours out- a small spike near the kill site isn't a bad idea to get the meat gathered and ready- allowing for a rest between packing. Off Course you wouldn't camp right next to the kill but getting the meat to a spot away from the kill is a little more relaxing than leaving it as you take quarter by quarter. I shot a bull in Colorado in the Flat Tops- wasn't worried to much about bear since the gut pile was probably enough for them, but the Coyotes were everywhere. I hauled my quarters 300 yards from the gut pile and hide/head-slept in a bag near my fire to protect my bags of meat- a little tent would have been a lot nicer. I was solo so it took two days to get that nice bull out.

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
That's what I do in one of my areas. I set up a truck camp, then have the ability to bivy out depending on where I'm finding the elk. Those 7 mile packs in and out in the dark suck when doing them every day!

Whip

WKR
As to the air mattress idea.......I'd make sure it is insulated. It is unreal how cold you can get sleeping on just an air mattress. I tried that on a queen size regular air mattress in the middle of July one time, and froze more than during late season hunts.

This for sure! I tried that once and thought my sleeping bag had gone bad. Froze my trail off with temps in the 40's. Uninsulated air mattresses are only good for the beach.

We will be set up for 3 total camps this year, a base camp, 2nd base camp(long drive on rough road) if needed and can spike out as well.

This is the 2nd camp setup. 1st is just a tradional tent (maybe a new alaknak) with cots, stove etc..

The RTT can go on top of the Jeep or trailer depending on need and type of setup we want to run. Haven't convinced my hunting partner of the viability of RTT's yet.

Attachments

• trailer24.jpg
    trailer24.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 46

Darrin

FNG
That's what I do. I always take stuff to spend a few days out if you get too far or in game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chris

FNG
I do this all the time, especially going into new territory. I have a cowboy bed roll I leave in the bed of the truck and keep two base camp tents, and then my lightweight camp for packing in.

OP
Jtelarkin08
This for sure! I tried that once and thought my sleeping bag had gone bad. Froze my trail off with temps in the 40's. Uninsulated air mattresses are only good for the beach.

For you guys saying you will freeze on a blow up mattress. Could you put a big flannel blanket or a few blankets on it? Surely a couple of blankets paired with a sleeping bag will insulate it