anyone ever give the Sierra High Route a go? (or the JMT?)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is it? A 190-ish mile north-south traverse of the Sierra's- roughly 2/3's of it off trail. Crazy elevation profile as your climbing/descending 30+ different passes.

tyExRME.jpg

I'm going to give this a go mid-July; it's been on bucket list for about ten years or so.

Lots of slow plodding through talus, boulder fields and tedious route finding- so won't be setting any speed records :D We're going to resupply at Red's Meadow at roughly 75 miles in (we're going reverse of what most folks do- we're going north to south). Hoping to do it in 12 days, but have a few spare days tacked on. We may alter the route if we're going slower than expected and hit more of the JMT to make up time.

My original plan was the John Muir Trail (which the SHR roughly parallels), but when I heard about the SHR- I thought even better yet!

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
You better start hiking before fire season ignites or ur going to be huffing smoke most of the hike. I have hiked most of the JMT and would do it again. Good luck

I did this last July! We planned to do do the entire thing NB in 10 days but hitting 20 miles per day was a lot of work. Ended up doing what you mentioned and hitting JMT for some quick miles. We carried 10 days of food but stopped at Reds and then up to mammoth for some real food and to change our bus ticket because we weren't going to make it all the way. We took a day and went paddle boarding in mammoth. Lol. We plan to go back and finish the rest. Truly one of the most amazing places I've been. Route finding with map and compass and seeing nearly zero evidence of trail or people tracks is spectacular.
If you need some advise or tips message me. The book would have been helpful. I wish I had it on the route. I transcribed it onto paper maps and basically had 20 small pages of maps that I used.
Bring bug spray. Bring a bug net. Bug spray. Bug spray. Bug spray. Bug spray. Get it? July is when the little devils hatch. Bring bug spray!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You better start hiking before fire season ignites or ur going to be huffing smoke most of the hike. I have hiked most of the JMT and would do it again. Good luck

We're hoping that we thread the needle on fires- we'll see. Go too early, lots of snow; go too late fires- much like it is here in Montana sadly.

I did this last July! We planned to do do the entire thing NB in 10 days but hitting 20 miles per day was a lot of work. Ended up doing what you mentioned and hitting JMT for some quick miles. We carried 10 days of food but stopped at Reds and then up to mammoth for some real food and to change our bus ticket because we weren't going to make it all the way. We took a day and went paddle boarding in mammoth. Lol. We plan to go back and finish the rest. Truly one of the most amazing places I've been. Route finding with map and compass and seeing nearly zero evidence of trail or people tracks is spectacular.
If you need some advise or tips message me. The book would have been helpful. I wish I had it on the route. I transcribed it onto paper maps and basically had 20 small pages of maps that I used.
Bring bug spray. Bring a bug net. Bug spray. Bug spray. Bug spray. Bug spray. Get it? July is when the little devils hatch. Bring bug spray!

We looked things over as much as possible and figured averaging 20 mile days simply wasn't going to be possible (maybe a few here and there where you're on trail for the majority).

I've got Roper's book, thinking about getting the Kindle version to keep on my phone. The tough thing with Roper's book is it's geared south to north, so makes it tougher when going the opposite. We have Skurka's map set, printed them out Thursday at a print shop that has waterproof paper (I do this with almost all my trips, including hunting). 11x17" with maps on each side, worked pretty well and the maps have the detail a guy is looking for.

Head net and bug dope is on the list! :D

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you are doing retirement right. Have you done the Wind River high route?

So far so good :)

No, I haven't but it's definitely high on my list. I spent a couple of years in college in Wyoming and loved the little bit of time I did spend in the Winds!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
got all of the maps printed- 30 maps in all, had the printer print them at 11x17 on waterproof paper and a map on each side- so now 15 maps altogether; half will go in the resupply box

I bought a Bear Vault 500 and it's a little larger than I wanted, they just came out with a 475 that is in-between their 500 and 450. I received the 475 and it fits much better, so the 500 will be returned

lh4jrhA.jpg

Have fun! I've gotten close to it a few times just on weekend day hikes and always thought it looked like an awesome hike. Just never could burn vacation on it over going hunting.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have fun! I've gotten close to it a few times just on weekend day hikes and always thought it looked like an awesome hike. Just never could burn vacation on it over going hunting.

the beauty of being retired :D

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sooo.... I get a text from my buddy on Tuesday (7/5) that his daughter is sick and tested positive for covid, Friday that his son has tested positive as well. Saturday he texts saying he's coming down with something. I called him today, he's still ill, but feeling a little better. The long and short of it is, I'm going to postpone my scheduled flight of this Friday until the following week.

I still have to be home August 1, so we're losing a full week. The tentative plan is to start at Twin Lakes like planned (but we need a new permit, which might be tough) and go as far as we can OR more likely, have him plan a cross country route in the south end of the Sierra's (where he is much more familiar with the country) and save the SHR for another time.

Bummer, but $hit happens

OutHeavy

FNG
I've done 2/3rds of the JMT, Reds Meadow to Whitney Portal. I've not done the Sierra High Route. Even starting at Twin Lakes you've still got some great hiking ahead of you. I would recommend a zero day at Rae Lakes. There are some nearby lakes off the trail that are definitely worth checking out (Golden Bear is one). Forester Pass is not easy, but there are some small swimming pool sized glacier fed lakes that are the most incredible blue green color I've ever seen. Bring a fishing rod. Most of the larger lakes hold golden trout which you won't find anywhere outside the region. Summiting Whitney on the way out is bonus. Make your way to the east side of the summit to check out the climbers making final ascent and ending up at your feet. You'll have a blast.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Eastern sierras are awesome, with great elevation changes and some great sections.

However, there is no greater section and experience in the sierras, than hiking from South Lake Tahoe to Yosemite, on an amazing section of the pacific crest trail.

TTY-PCT. It’s 175ish miles long. I’d reccomend starting in Meeks Bay in Tahoe, heading north to south to finish up in Tuolumne meadow. Roughly 40,000 feet of elevation gain and 40,000 feet of elevation loss. Highest point is only at around 11,000 feet. Took my time and did it in 16 days enjoying all 6 wilderness areas you pass through. Fields of wild flowers, swimming in crystal clear lakes, the smell of sugar pines, endless granite faces, views you’d swear were paintings if you weren't there in real life. A once in a lifetime hike.

Bummer man! Sorry to hear this. I'd recommend getting out there and still doing some sections of the SHR. You have the maps already and it will be a good way to work on your navigation/ route finding skills. Also you can dial in your gear and use this as a "test" trip so when you plan to go back with more time you can do it right.

I'm sure whatever you end up doing will be a blast. But coming from a guy who did half the route last year, it was the greatest experience I've had out in the wild and I can't wait to go back.
Good luck!!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys. I’m waiting to hear back from my buddy for the exact route.

I think he’s thinking something in the middle to southern section of the Sierra’s. He did tell me it would well be worth bringing my Tenkara rod and picking up a fishing license. I think it will have a good deal of off trail travel, possibly a peak or two to be bagged.

We’ll have a full week, so should be a good one :)