Anyone ever gotten lost out there?

Mule

FNG
"Man, this timber is dense! It can only get worse in the dark.", I thought to myself as we scouted the place where we though we heard the bugle the night before.

Famous last words. There were many landmarks out there by which to navigate. The only problem: Every landmark has two or more that look just like it. The only certainty was that I needed to go uphill and then at some point, hang a right to get back to camp, but even the trails immediately close to camp were really confusing in the dark.

It was a good thing I brought flagging tape with that reflective striping on it. I spent the better part of two hours walking out of that place on the day prior to opening 1st Rifle marking my way from the location I heard the only bull on the mountain that chose to announce himself, back to our camp. He was a mile or so from camp, and about two miles from the bottom of the avalanche chutes that we scouted the day before.

My first evening hunting this bull was nothing short of exciting! roughly 45 minutes from dark, he got up just like the evening prior. He bugled once--in kind of a low key way. He moved closer, and let lose another. I'm not experienced enough to know what he's saying, or even if he has any cows with him. He was very quiet--no snapping of limbs, crunching of crunchy ground like all the articles say to listen for. I was in a decent ambush spot with fair shooting lanes, but alas, even though my wind was perfect, he snuck past me upwind. I only knew this because he gave a light chuckle after he'd crested the ridge I was sitting on and moved to the other side. Darkness finally fell, and I resolved that I'd be back in the morning to try and catch him as he returned.

I found the first flag--even the second, third and fourth. I noted that the reflectivity of my flags was not catching and bouncing the light back toward me in that low ambient light situation. Number 5 was a bit of a challenge to find, but as the dusk turned to total blackness, it became apparent that the small 4" flags that I tied on obvious branches were not going to help me get out of there. I wasn't too alarmed at that point, but pushed onward up the ridge, and thought surely I would hit the "top" of my bench and hang that all important left turn back to camp. I actually found some "nite eyes" that I thought a previous hunter had left. I was pretty sure we were camping in his old camp and were sort of sharing the same trail back. After an hour, I surmised that was not the case. My "left turn" never showed up. I still wasn't alarmed. I just thought that climb was taking a little longer in the dark. Oh, I had a flashlight mind you. To reassure you, I'm no amateur when it comes to the woods. I'm very familiar with survival techniques, and I do respect the mountains and all they can do to ruin a life. In fact the thought of survival hadn't yet crossed my mind, even though my pack always includes all the basic necessities for making fire, employing navigation, water-gathering, and shelter-building.

Just about at the hour and a half mark past dark, I was beginning to wonder just how turned-around I really was. That's when I walked right into the wood pile, otherwise known as the bottom of the avalanche chute! "OMG!", I thought to myself. I felt myself start to panic a little bit. Isn't that the hardest thing to contain, and the thing they tell you NOT to do? We were in this chute the day prior, and there were many of these wood piles strewn all around the base and sides of the chute. I knew where I was regionally, so to speak, but exactly where was a mystery.

Now, it's kind of a long story regarding my GPS situation, but long story short, I had one and took it back. I opted for Gaia GPS (an iphone app) that I really like. I also had a delorme inreach with me to keep my wife stable and happy. But I also broke my iphone charging cable the first nite at camp, and the battery was 20% low now. Texting the wife through the delorme/iphone pairing was really my priority just due to simplicity, so I was really trying to avoid turning that phone on. However, after pulling out my map and compass and orienting myself to north, I quickly realized that especially at night, the map is useless unless one knows EXACTLY where he is on the bloody thing, and he can "mark" line of sight objects to navigate toward. More panic tried to infiltrate my spirit. I admit it here, publicly: I'm a praying man. Take that however you want, but I had to turn off the flashlight and have a few words with my God. The panic subsided pretty quick after that, and I put the map/compass away. Did I mention, useless? I decided to follow the creek down a little bit before I went to my electronics, given my battery was so low. The problem with creeks is, unless you really study them, the water direction can be deceiving if you don't pay attention. I misread the direction--the light reflection just looked as if it was flowing in the direction I thought was downhill. I was on a bench, and misread the flow---I followed it slightly uphill another 50 yards or so before realizing the error. I sat down again, to find even more composure. Apparently I didn't get enough on the first go-round, for the panic was trying to edge itself in on me again.

Drastic situations call for drastic measures. I guess in hindsight, I should have done this a long time ago. Iphone "on". Booting.... [waiting]...it came on, finally. "Yep, I have 20% of battery to get back two miles." Opened Gaia app. Waited for roughly 5 minutes for that little arrow icon that suggests you have a GPS fix on the satellites. That icon never came. Gaia is a good app, but it failed me on that clear chilly nite with no forest canopy to block the GPS signals. I really don't know why it failed. My delorme inreach also has a GPS feature, but only on the iphone app when the two devices are paired using bluetooth. That app kind of stinks though. My battery fell to 18% just in the time I was sitting there getting my composure. The delorme sensors were jumpy, and not very specific. at least I could see where I was now in relation to the camp: about 2 miles away as I suspected. I followed the creek in the opposite (now corrected) direction, and I had to bushwack through some really thick stuff. The jumpy sensor would change the direction of the icon pointer and it confused me several times. There were several times I had to stop and let it just settle down. I turned my ankle a little on some nasty terrain, even though I wasn't hurrying through it. Those tight 8" boots have saved my ankles from complete destruction on more than one occasion. I came to a large boggy meadow, with which I was somewhat familiar. It was very near my camp. I just couldn't tell where I was on the bog in relation to the camp. I was extremely disoriented, perhaps due to staring at the lighted iphone screen and the flashlighted path immediately in front of me. I mean, everything else was pitch black. Did I mention the beautiful stars overhead?? Yeah, I didn't have time to really enjoy those, either. I really don't know how elk do this walking around at night thing.

My buddy was pretty worried--I mean, not "in the fetal position" worried or anything like that, but he was a little rattled. I suspect that was more due to the notion he didn't want to be the one to tell my Mrs. how he lost me. He has a delorme unit also. We thought we knew how to communicate with each other through the iridium network. This incident proved we didn't. He sent a couple txt to me, but of course I never got them. He surely would't have asked my wife to txt me...he didn't want to alarm her--not yet. It was too early for that. I didn't even think to try and comm with him yet. It was too early in the fiasco for me to admit I screwed up. Plus, I hadn't really tapped out yet :)

He couldn't find our flags either...and we set them out together the day prior. He was a bit frazzled, but really relieved when he found m....check that: when I found him. I'm the one that put myself in that location so I could hear him screaming for me. He was just wandering aimlessly through an area he was familiar :) I was in the high-grassed swampy meadow just outside of our camp trying to trudge through the muck, when I heard him randomly call out my name. Man, my name sounds good in the deep dark wilderness at nearly 10pm!! I responded with a loud, manly, "YO!" That's when he came to the edge of that bog and saw my light. I was still so disoriented. I made my way toward him and it took me a few minutes to acclimate to the topology where I had treaded for the previous three days gathering water, moving between hunting areas, picking up firewood, etc. I made it! I really never thought I wouldn't make it, that is until I got back to camp, took my pack off, and layed down my rifle. Ok...yeah, confirmed. I actually never really thought I wouldn't make it.

Although I was relieved to be back, I started thinking about the what-ifs. I could make good fire if I had to. I could build a lean-to shelter and sleep on spruce boughs if I had to. I had every piece of clothing in my day pack to layer up with overnight if needed. I had water, and filtration to fill my gut and ease the hunger pangs. An overnight in dark timber wouldn't have been the worst thing if it came to that. I was pretty much prepared. I guess the worst thing would have been my people not knowing my disposition, but even that would have been alleviated once I settled in my mind that I was "sleeping out" for the night. I would have "delorme texted" my wife and had her relay my situation to my buddy.

I wonder how much of an improved woodsman I would be today, had I allowed myself to just stay out and rough it? I did it years ago as a young Boy Scout on a wilderness survival merit badge overnighter (perhaps not quite the same, but you know). I guess I'll not know for as long as I can help it. I was fairly prepared this year for the "stupid stuff" due to some unforeseen failures I had last year. I suppose my preparedness will grow even more so for next year. I know I'll have a real GPS, and add some tried and trued reflective trail markers!! Perhaps then, my kit will be refined and finally complete.

BTW, the next morning's hunt--I took that one off to rest up, as I was beat, my ankle was sore, and my knee also was banged up. But I went into the evening hunt extra early marking the trail with stacked rock Kearns, and directional stick-lays, and lodgepole sidewalks through the dense stuff. Going back to camp that night was like following the yellow brick road! What a huge difference good trail marks are when you can't tell the forest for the trees :)

We never did kill that bull. He was tricky--but we never blew him out either, I don't think. That timber was just so dense--could never put eyes on him. (I never cow-called to him though, either. I'm not that experienced to know what to say to a lonely bull in his bedroom after the runt).

That's my story. would love to hear similar stories from the Rokslide community if you have them and care to share...

Mule

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't think it's possible to get "lost" in most lower 48 locations, but you can sure get turned around. A couple seasons ago after 15" of heavy rain over a couple weeks and then strong winds, I was coming out in the dark. There were several new blow downs, with some of those root balls and holes that were left, the size of a small house. In the dark it was tough navigating that maze and mess trying to find a way through and then keeping my bearings. I ended up heading down the wrong draw which looked identical to the correct one. But this one angled off and after running into a two-track that shouldn't have been there, I realized I was in the wrong draw. Had to hike an extra mile to get to the trail head where the truck was. That's about as "lost" as I get.

Had I marked the TH on my GPS, it wouldn't have been an issue, but I took off that day in a hurry and failed to do so.

dotman

WKR
Haven't gotten lost but two years ago met a few guys from LA that didn't trust their GPS and thought they were lost. In their case the GPS was correct, they spent the night away from their camp a total of a half mile from a road that would led them back to their camp.

I have been turned around and have stayed on the mountain but the staying was a decision because I didn't want to have to come back in the morning. Really though a truly lost situation I find difficult to do as there are so many roads, mountain ranges that mainly head north south etc, it is pretty easy to get back to the civilized world. Especially if you have a map and compass.

In my teens I got turned around in a swamp in NC once. Compass was useless in that area as the needle just spun around. It was so thick you couldn't see 10 yards, and no visible landmarks. I didn't have a GPS, and it was well before cell phones were prevalent.
It got dark and I wasn't getting back to camp anywhere near the time I should have. So I made a fire, and a shelter and settled in for the night. Figured I would walk out in the morning knowing as long as I stayed in a straight line I would hit a road within 3 miles at most.
Woke up at about 2am to the sound of my name over a loud speaker. Put out the fire and walked out roughly 2000 yards to see 15-20 people, tons of emergency vehicles, a 40' fire truck, and a guy talking about putting "Pedro" (search and rescue helicopter) up in the air to find me.
There's a bit more to the story, but basically they were scared because someone had died from exposure a week previously, and I was a teenager. Suffice to say I was thoroughly embarrassed.

A couple years ago I was hunting Roosevelt elk in coastal Oregon. Thought I wouldn't need a GPS as there really aren't any mountains to speak of and there are logging roads everywhere. I was going after a bull and didn't pay attention to the surroundings or where I had dove off the mountain. The sun began to set and I couldn't tell where I was. The canopy and brush is so thick that you cannot see landmarks to orient yourself. I had a hint of panic set in as it was beginning to get dark and I had to be to work the next day. I found a trail and hightailed it to a ridge top and oriented myself again. Found a road and walked out by my headlamp. I would never consider that "lost", but it certainly made me realize the thick rain forest like coastal region is way different than the Rocky Mountains.

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
haha, It happens to the best of us! you definitely learn a thing or two about yourself and how "tough" you really are. I also found my way back but I learned a few things as well... 1 make sure you have good clothing I was soaked in sweat and it was getting dark quick. 2. I had no one to know if I made it back to camp so I probably shouldnt hunt alone and if I do maybe i can see if a near by hunter can check on me before he leaves (leave a note or something) 3. Never count on your GPS to work (mine went haywire when I later found out there was a huge solar flare incident going on that knocked out my gps) 4. Control your panic.. that for me was the biggest one. When I realized I was lost I pretty much started to run I only stopped when I about broke my leg on a down fall. after that incident I just sat down and got out my map and compass.(learned here to always take a compass reading prior to going out) Luckily I had the son going down and knew where it came up so that helped me. I think im on 5. THINK about all the gear you carry with you for just that reason ( it helps clear your mind) I was out of water but I had a water purifier with me, food, fire starter, my bow, knives... I would have been fine! a few hours later my GPS started working again (even though I didnt trust it anymore) and I had been going the right direction afterall with my map/compass combo..

so now I always take a compass reading, bought merino clothing and learn to layer better so Im not drenched in sweat, and like I said I usually try to hunt with someone else.. most of all just dont panic! unless you are hunting in terrible weather/snow you can last quite a while.. people knew the area I was in... I would have been found or found someone sooner or later... I was also beat when I got back! Yes I would do it all over again and I will be prepared incase it happens again

forgot one other thing.. While I was " lost" and rushing through the woods a bull bugled 80 yards away and even though I was still in my panic mode I said screw it im only approx 3 miles away Im going to try to get him and I wasnt in the right mind and blew it. I forgot about my wind direction and i cow called back and at 40 yards through thick brush he got down wind trying to smell the cow and instead smelled me and I watched him turn and run... that just made it worse!

Last edited:

danarnold

WKR
The first year I hunted in Wyoming On the first morning and I was several miles from camp, you could take four wheelers pretty far on main roads, as the sun rose I turn on the GPS and marked my location as I was getting my gear ready, I switched it off right away and put it in my bag. I got onto a couple bulls within a couple hours and chase them without paying a lick of attention to where I was going because it really didn't matter, I marked the four wheeler on the GPS?
Later in the day I decided to head back towards the four wheeler and navigated with the GPS only to figure out it had me on a mountainside full of blow downs and I was nowhere near the four wheeler, I walked in circles for quite a while before figuring out I could go uphill and I want to cross the trail sooner or later which I did. Long story short if your GPS doesn't know where it's at when you turn it on you could be screwed, where I parked there was a lot of Pines and it never did get a good location on itself

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a cow this year at 2pm, .1 miles from my camp, and 1.5 miles from the truck. I broke her down and hung the meat and I still had over an hour of daylight left. I decided to break camp and head out to sleep in the truck so I would have 2 easy trips out the next day. My troubles began after I packed up and decided to go out a different route to the trailhead (#1 lesson learned-if you haven't been there before, don't go that way with no daylight, trail, or a guide!). There was supposedly an easier saddle to go through east of me, but I never found it. I finally broke out the gps with about 15 minutes of visibility left and I was more confused than ever. I couldn't believe I was where it said it was. I didn't panic, but I was rattled. I relied on my instrument training as a pilot and choose to "trust my instruments" and follow the gps , which was very contrary to my instincts at that point. Unfortunately, the direct path to the truck took me north over the top of the mountain with a ton of deadfall in the way, so I decided to maintain my elevation and side hill back west towards the trail I originally came in on. About that time the fog rolled in and it was now dark. I decided it was time to plant myself for the night, so I pulled out my bivy and sleeping bag and slept on the flattest spot I could find. Not a comfortable night with rain and snow, but I got rest and easily survived. The really embarrassing/funny part is after packing up in the morning I walked about 100 yards and saw my elk hanging in the trees just below where I camped. I dropped down and loaded a small meat bag with camp and headed out, no worse for the wear, except for my pride. The positive lessons I learned or reinforced were to not panic and be prepared to spend the night in the woods. I had the right equipment for the conditions and I was never in danger by sleeping out. I could have hurt myself if I had tried to push over the hill or navigate in the dark and fog.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
if your in the woods enough days you will eventually get turned around, not lost per se but definitely not taking the line you should or are thinking you are. I like to scout in the summer and learn an area before hand, thinking this will prevent issues, but when it gets dark, no moon and in an area you know only so well you may lose the line you are wanting to take back to camp. a good reminder for us all to be prepared to stay overnight if the need arises, versus risking injury and the mind starting to play tricks on us.

jmez

WKR
You are only lost if you care where you are!

I've nerve really been lost. I've gotten turned around but figured out pretty quickly where I was and where I needed to go. Some people have a better sense of direction than others. Getting lost is really something I never worry about, even in a new area. My brother on the other hand, he could get lost in his bedroom. I generally know which direction I need to go to get back.

Cowboy611

Lil-Rokslider
I havent been so lost i couldnt have found my way back with the sun but last weekend i was in some thick timber and couldnt really tell where i was to well since was bushwhacking and the trees blocked most of the stars. If i didnt have the compass on my phone i wouldnt have been able to figure out to walk towards the moonlight. Between that and the gps i was able to pick a decent route but i was doing a bad job of trusting my ability to follow the ridgeline/moonlight, and my instincts for a bit. Didnt want to walk more then i needed too

I spent 19 days backpacking the high sierras with essentially no real plan on where to go or end up and it really made me feel at ease with getting turned around. I had my camp on my back so I would set off with a fishing destination in mind and if I didn't make it...no big deal.

Now that I hunt while leaving "camp" at camp I ALWAYS have a lighter, emergency blanket and my Kifaru Woobie with me. Granted, this is CA and while a night away from my tent might be the most miserable night of my life....if I stay dry I will survive.

I

beachbunny,

[I edited the following to correct and clarify what I originally posted] Your compass does not actually point to the North Pole, it points to the magnetic north pole which is where the confluence of the Earth's magnetic field is closest to the surface in the Northern Hemisphere. That is why your declination offset changes each year.

In the 1960's when I first learned how to use a map and compass it was in Canada, but since it moves each year it is currently much closer to the actual top of the world. See the chart below.

north_magnetic_pole_move.jpg

I don't know if this is why backpackhunter had issues, but in some areas the Earth's magnetic field is closer to the surface than surrounding areas, and if so it can affect a compass.

Larry

backpack hunter, why was your compass useless there?

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
**Navigation Tip Below at bottom of post**

RE Compass spinning post from Backpack Hunter...

He states this happened years ago... don't know how long ago that means, nor how good his compass was, nor how much actual, true compass navigation skill/experience he had at that point. I seriously doubt a that any of today's quality compass would "spin" or fail to settle while one is standing still or walking.

Perhaps he meant the "compass" tool in his GPS was spinning. IMHO these suck and they will virtually spin, you gotta have an actual compass and know how to really use it. Best if your compass has adjustable declination- and you've actually set it correctly. My experience is that GPS compasses will not settle well and cannot be used to take a real bearing and navigate with any precision. They will wander at every step, especially in thick cover in steep drainages. This burns battery life as you keep the screen lit. Bad.

**Big Tip** Set your GPS compass preferences so the GPS will automatically display the actual bearing needed when you choose a Way Point or Saved Location you want to navigate to (NOTE- you want the GPS display to show the bearing in degrees, not general the default bullshi** north/west, etc). With a real bearing, you can turn off your GPS, save battery and navigate with compass (after shining your light on it to charge the glow in the dark capabilities.

Tech assistance at Garmin help get my Garmin set to do this. It is an awesome feature.

Hope this helps

JL

About 5 years ago I was backcountry skiing in an area I had skied several times only about 10 miles from my house. It was dead winter but pretty warm (around 30 and partly cloudy) with occasional flurries. Avalanche conditions were pretty stable. I didnt respect the mountains because I was familiar and I would treat alot of half day backcountry ski trips as if they were just an outdoor workout. No biggie right ? Big mistake. I climbed up about 2500 vertical and dropped down a drainage as it started to snow a little more. Climbed up another 800 ft on the other side and when I came up to the exposed ridge it was a complete whiteout , my tracks were filled in , the wind gusts were probably 60 mph plus and I had no GPS or compass. Good times hugh ? Kinda until I remembered I was wearing spring clothes (soft shell pants and jacket with light polypro base and spring gloves) and my hands were freezing and not completely functional as well as my core getting cold. I dug a snow cave with my shovel and waited out the storm for a few hours . I then skied back and was having a beer by a fire before sunset . I love the mountains and learned alot during this half day trip that could have messed me up. I was not inexperienced but just didnt respect the local mountains that day. ALWAYS respect the mountains and have basic essentials such as emergency overnight gear that others have mentioned including compass, map, and hand warmers or warm ass mittens if in cold weather. Gotta love how the mountains make you humble.

Best if your compass has adjustable declination- and you've actually set it correctly.

This is bad advice, first off as Larry pointed out, it moves each year and second it will be different if you travel to hunt. Always know it and take it into account each time you use it with maps.

The only time you really need to know/use it is when you transfer information to or from a map.

When I was 14 I got pretty turned around on the Idaho/Montana border and panic almost got the best of me. After sitting down and calming down I picked what I figured was the best direction to go and found a flagging tape mark I had set the day before. Another time as a young man I got confused about where I was in the fog and walked right into the middle of a herd of bedded down elk and nearly got trampled.