Anyone ever had airline lose a gun?!

Antares

WKR
Yes flying from Texas to Chicago with 2 rifles in a hard case. Only thing that didn't show up. They ended up tracking it down in Vegas. Was a long night waiting for them to show up the next morning. We just pictured a gun case going around the turnstile at baggage claim in one of the busiest airports in the country and someone recognizing what it is and snagging them. After that we purchased one of those oversize golf bag carriers so you couldn't tell what was inside. Has wheels on it too so getting around the airport is easier. Have also had a case damaged where it looks like someone was trying to pry the case open with a crowbar in two different spots.

I have never seen firearms on the luggage carousel. I've always had to retrieve my rifle at the luggage office/over-sized luggage door and show my ID.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes, and in the same paragraph says TSA-recognized locks are acceptable. Our government at work….

• Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

LOL. Some mighty fine work from those TSA folks.

I would never put a TSA lock on a gun case.

Sorry not really following the logic. If you lock up your bow case, how would anyone know whether or not you had a firearm in there (besides the check in person)? It's not like they slap a sticker on the outside advertising it. You slip the signed paper stating it's unloaded in the case and that's it. And they usually have your guns in a separate area to pick up because the case won't fit on the conveyor belt thing. Your big golf case/bow case/whatever will likely be off to the side regardless. I sometimes fly with a pistol in a small pistol case stuffed in my duffel bag and it comes out with the rest of the luggage because nothing on the outside indicates there's a firearm inside. Doesn't make my duffel bag any more safe.
The times that I've checked firearms with Alaska Airlines, they did slap a sticker on it. It didn't say "firearms" by it did say "must ride."

I like the idea of the incognito case. I got booted out of a hotel in Seattle when the security guard recognized my gun case (after I had paid for my room and was headed to the elevator). It turned into about the longest night of my life. Stuck in the open terminal, beyond security with all of my gear. All night some face tattooed degenerate off the street stalked me, waiting for me to fall asleep. Earlier that evening there were cops everywhere, then none until the morning...

MattB

WKR
LOL. Some mighty fine work from those TSA folks.

I would never put a TSA lock on a gun case.
Me neither. You lose the benefit of TSA likely not opening the case as well as potentially running into a TSA employee who doesn't know the rules and insists that TSA-recognized locks are not acceptable for firearms.

Before they changed the rule to allow TSA-recognized locks on gun cases, there was a TSA comment in their FAQ that said that TSA-recognized locks were required. I applaud their consistency.

I have never seen firearms on the luggage carousel. I've always had to retrieve my rifle at the luggage office/over-sized luggage door and show my ID.
I've had them come out on the carousel and also at the oversized ramp.

It's been a recent change in the past 3-4 years where most airports you now (usually) pick up at the office and show ID. I think that's a better process so no dirtbag walks off with your case...

Last edited:

h2so4

WKR
I've had handguns in my luggage come out on the carousel with the regular luggage.

You can also get a cheap flare gun to go with whatever else you want to keep secure. I've heard of guys using this approach for high end camera gear, etc.

I don't know if the airline rules prevent it now, but I used to take my bolt out of the rifle and keep it in my carry on.
Be careful with ANY parts in carry-on. A member on here carried on his bolt and got it seized, talked his way out of arrest, and lost his TSA-Pre status

Norm555

WKR
I did have a firearm not make it to my final location so it was lost temporarily. Apparently someone who had my same last name was on my first flight to SLC and the baggage handler got spun-up seeing a gun checked so she selected the wrong name to apply the bag tag. I arrived in MT and my bags weren't there, they were still in SLC. Fortunately I had some time and my bags arrived the next morning. So the lesson is make sure you look at the tags they apply and ensure they show your final location. It also seems common now the airline will check your ID before releasing your firearm. That makes more sense to me than letting it out on the carousel.

MattB

WKR
I've had handguns in my luggage come out on the carousel with the regular luggage.

You can also get a cheap flare gun to go with whatever else you want to keep secure. I've heard of guys using this approach for high end camera gear, etc.
Same. My sense is that rifle/bow cases go to the oversize while guns in normal sized luggage (e.g. locked pistol case put inside a typical suitcase/duffel) are delivered to the regular carousel.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Sorry not really following the logic. If you lock up your bow case, how would anyone know whether or not you had a firearm in there (besides the check in person)? It's not like they slap a sticker on the outside advertising it. You slip the signed paper stating it's unloaded in the case and that's it. And they usually have your guns in a separate area to pick up because the case won't fit on the conveyor belt thing. Your big golf case/bow case/whatever will likely be off to the side regardless. I sometimes fly with a pistol in a small pistol case stuffed in my duffel bag and it comes out with the rest of the luggage because nothing on the outside indicates there's a firearm inside. Doesn't make my duffel bag any more safe.
I see where my statement is confusing. I didn’t do a very good job explaining.

What i am saying is that now i am possibly flying with a recurve only instead of my rifle. If i check it with recurve only, it will be treated as a regular checked bag. If i slide my pistol in there with it then i can check it as a firearm and have it treated differently.

My hunting partner usually hunts with a rifle and i will be using a bow now. I want to take a sidearm for bear protection and my first instinct was to just have him put my pistol in his gun case with rifle but after more thought I believe it would be best to put it in my bow case.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I see where my statement is confusing. I didn’t do a very good job explaining.

What i am saying is that now i am possibly flying with a recurve only instead of my rifle. If i check it with recurve only, it will be treated as a regular checked bag. If i slide my pistol in there with it then i can check it as a firearm and have it treated differently.

My hunting partner usually hunts with a rifle and i will be using a bow now. I want to take a sidearm for bear protection and my first instinct was to just have him put my pistol in his gun case with rifle but after more thought I believe it would be best to put it in my bow case.
Yeah I get what you're saying, but don't believe it will be treated differently. Lock up your bow case and it's all the same to the folks behind the scenes. The people loading/handling the luggage have no idea and no one will know whether or not a pistol is in there.

I came across this randomly on YouTube a while back, but check out a channel by the name of Lockpicking Lawyer. The vast majority of padlocks can be opened in about 3 seconds with a couple of common tools sold online. And this channel has millions and millions of people watching. Locks are just a suggestion for honest people to stay out. Not really a security measure, TSA approved or not. Just FYI.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
This was about 15 years ago and they used to come out on the carousel. Haven't flown with a firearm since so its probably different now. But I am in the same boat right now going to Alaska in May and not sure if I should case my sidearm separately or put it in my bow case.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Yeah I get what you're saying, but don't believe it will be treated differently. Lock up your bow case and it's all the same to the folks behind the scenes. The people loading/handling the luggage have no idea and no one will know whether or not a pistol is in there.
In my experience they do treat anything checked as a firearm differently. With Alaska Airlines anyways, after you check it as a firearm they load it separately and you pic it up in a different location and have to show id to receive it.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
This was about 15 years ago and they used to come out on the carousel. Haven't flown with a firearm since so its probably different now. But I am in the same boat right now going to Alaska in May and not sure if I should case my sidearm separately or put it in my bow case.
With Alaska airlines, firearms have to be picked up at an office and you have to show id and the bottom part of the paper you has to rip off when you checked your firearm.

They wont budge on this either. When me and my buddy arrived, it was taking them a long time to get luggage off the plane so i told him i would go get the rental vehicle and meet him by the door. I gave him my id and stub. They still wouldnt let him have it. Which is a good thing.

carter33

WKR
Factory ammo only. Or factory ammon box anyway. 😏
News to me, I thought the requirement stated it either had to be in a factory ammo case or in a case specifically designed to house ammo. Will have to check the google machine…

Wasn’t able to upload a picture but under the ammo section I believe a reloading plastic case should be fine. Friend got burned once though, maybe the cardboard factory box is the safer bet.

woods89

WKR
Some airports have the TSA screening behind closed doors (e.g. Philadelphia, San Jose), so if you use non-TSA recognized locks you may get delayed ~15 minutes in the event they do need to open your case for inspection and need to get the keys from you. Not a big deal but something to be mindful of.

STL does this as well. They wanted my lock combo 20 min before boarding started. It puts a guy in a bit of a situation because technically you are breaking the law by giving them the combo or key, if you are going to take their policy at face value. I wanted my rifle to show up, so I played ball and gave it too them.
Denver has a way better system, where they x-ray right in front of you, and if it has to be opened you get to open it.
Those two airports are the only ones I've flown out of with firearms, so my experience is a little limited.
Dude…I just looked this up. The tag interfaces with other Apple devices in a mesh network type scenario to locate the tag and then delivers the location only to you.

That is effing brilliant technology. Kinda scary in a way, but fantastic for keeping track of stuff like this.

Thanks for the mention. I will be grabbing some of these.
I like this. Anything similar that works with Android stuff, anyone?
Get a creative friend of yours to make labels for the plastic ones.

I made these for my own consumption:

View attachment 355188
I'm stealing this idea as well. Just need to come up with a creative name. I've flown with the blue 50 rnd Dillon reloaders box in the case and never had an issue but this might head some problems off.

Mosby

WKR
I use to go up to Canada for whitetail and I saw a number of guys in the Edmonton airport with lost luggage including their rifle cases. They had to sit in the airport instead of hunting, waiting for their equipment to show up. It really sucked for them. One guy had his guns disappear two years in a row. Said he watched his gun case be put on the plane in the US and the airline said it was missing when we landed in Edmonton. It was pretty common.