Anyone Ever Have to Shoot Opposite Handed?

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Update on this issue for all who gave me advice. I loaded up a few rifles today with some factory ammo that is basically just taking up space in my safe and made a trip to the range. I am still able to see my crosshairs with my right eye, but no where near as clear as my left. I had to put a patch over my right eye to train my left to look through the scope but it didn't take long and I am not shooting almost as good of groups as I was right handed. I found that I do shoot my 300WSM considerably better than the 300RUM so I will be taking that rifle on my trip. I only went to 200 yards today but was able to shoot under an inch. I will start stretching out my distance over the next few trips and I'm confident I'll be able to make a good shot if the opportunity presents itself. The patch over the bad eye was a huge help getting me comfortable behind the gun again.

Katoom27

FNG
I have been a right handed shooter my entire shooting life. I am also right eye dominant. I am going through some vision changes right now that couldn't have come at a worse time. I have an elk hunt planned for next month and am losing my clear vision in my right eye. My solution is going to have to be to learn to shoot left handed with my left eye. It is very awkward being that all my rifles are left handed bolt guns with raised cheek pieces but I think it is possible. I was shooting very well and confident out to 500 yards a few weeks ago but I am not sure what this is going to bring. Has anyone ever been through this and how did it work out for you? I took a small rifle to the range yesterday and was able to shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards this way but it was a struggle. My groups with this gun used to be much smaller.
I’ve shot offhand and it’s super awkward. 1” group isn’t bad, you’re on the right track. Gonna just have to practice.

You can do it. Just practice. I wouldn’t shoot any game animal opposite handed until Ive gotten comfortable doing it. Shooting is mostly mental, so if you’re mentally there you’ll be fine.

Both my son and I do. I am left handed, but right eye dominant. My son is right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right handed, my son shoots left. It wasn’t until I was 14 and scoped myself a couple times I realized I needed to make a change. I started my son when he was 4 and noticed it while he was shooting a BB gun.

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again everyone for all the advice. I have been practicing and have all the confidence now that I can do this. The only thing I have left to work on is working the bolt incase a follow up shot is required. My plan over the next week is to get one of my older bolt guns out of the safe that I do not use anymore and practice with lots of dry firing and reloading. It will come.

RazeRob

FNG
I am right handed and left eye dominant. Planning on switching to a left handed bow but will probably live with a right handed rifle for a while. I haven't even thought about switching to a lefty shotgun yet but now I might.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot shotgun lefty but pistol and rifle right handed. I'd probably switch to shooting rifle left handed but all my rifles are right.

kurtiss00

FNG
I have been a right handed shooter my entire shooting life. I am also right eye dominant. I am going through some vision changes right now that couldn't have come at a worse time. I have an elk hunt planned for next month and am losing my clear vision in my right eye. My solution is going to have to be to learn to shoot left handed with my left eye. It is very awkward being that all my rifles are left handed bolt guns with raised cheek pieces but I think it is possible. I was shooting very well and confident out to 500 yards a few weeks ago but I am not sure what this is going to bring. Has anyone ever been through this and how did it work out for you? I took a small rifle to the range yesterday and was able to shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards this way but it was a struggle. My groups with this gun used to be much smaller.
I am right handed but left eye dominant, I shoot right handed rifles with left hand.

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to get pretty proficient shooting left handed. Shooting is the easy part. Getting set up takes some time because there is still some thought involved. I practiced out to approximately 450 yards and was able to kill a bull elk at 370. I will be purchasing a left handed rifle in the future if I have to continue shooting this way though because I think I can be a little quicker on the follow up shots with the bolt on the proper side.