Anyone ever hunt the N.Warner unit in oregon

spin05

FNG
Anyone ever hunt the N.Warner unit in oregon???? Hoping to draw the archery tag but there little info out there on the unit at all. Dont care if you hunted rifle or bow any info would be great.

Last edited:

Extrapale

WKR
Anyone ever hunt the N.Wagner unit in oregon???? Hoping to draw the archery tag but there little info out there on the unit at all. Dont care if you hunted rifle or bow any info would be great.
Warner?

Very low deer density. Some good bucks. If you are used to hunting another decent Mule Deer state you will probably be disappointed.

My nephewbhad the September youth tag a few years ago.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

270Hunter

FNG
North Warner is a fairly big unit with not a whole lot of deer, my brother had the youth tag a long time ago and it was one of the more difficult hunts we have been on. But there are some really big bucks killed every year out there, I would recommend glassing first and last light to find a big buck, and maybe try running some trail cameras to see if you can catch anything moving. If its really hot the deer are going to be with four miles of water.

OP
S

spin05

FNG
North Warner is a fairly big unit with not a whole lot of deer, my brother had the youth tag a long time ago and it was one of the more difficult hunts we have been on. But there are some really big bucks killed every year out there, I would recommend glassing first and last light to find a big buck, and maybe try running some trail cameras to see if you can catch anything moving. If its really hot the deer are going to be with four miles of water.

Yea thanks. I was thinking finding water maybe good. I should be talking to the bio today will see what he says

Extrapale

WKR
Rumor is there are more deer in the low elevation sage flats than in the mountain.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
S

spin05

FNG
Did you have success in the North Warner unit? I got drawn for it this year for Archery Mule Deer.

I did not. Saw 5 deer 2 bucks and 2pt and a spike. All on first night. Thought i may have a great hunt. Never saw another buck in 5 days of hunting. Most sign i saw was down in the sage by a creek. It was hot thou every day. But pretty disappionting. Did find out later that there was a big privite biker camp at the first camp ground over labor day weekend. They where lighting off dynamite. So everything may have been in hiding

WRO

WKR
There's a decent amount of deer in that unit, we saw about 15 bucks a day last time I was in there helping on the archery hunt. My buddies kid killed a 177 the same year during the youth hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Drew the rifle tag last year and hunted it hard for 9 days and saw about 30 does and a handful of forks. Big snow storm came in opening weekend that might have pushed them all down and out of the area.

WRO

WKR
Drew the rifle tag last year and hunted it hard for 9 days and saw about 30 does and a handful of forks. Big snow storm came in opening weekend that might have pushed them all down and out of the area.
They usually migrate into the flats.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you hunt?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Up in the desert just south of rabbit creek. Mostly west of the power lines but did spend a few days in the high country east of the power lines. Went over to the burn by Vee lake the last 2 days of the season but saw nothing but does.