Anyone ever hunt with Davis Outfitters out of Dillingham, AK

decrooj

FNG
Just curious if anyone on here has any experience hunting with Gabe Davis from Davis Outfitters. I am looking at booking a moose hunt with them and figured I would reach out to hear any personal experiences. Thanks!

I can’t speak to his actual hunts, but just by dumb luck me and Gabe both got weathered in in Iliamna back in June and were stuck at the same lodge. He seemed like a hard working and motivated guy. Really fun guy to hang around and chat hunting with. He also had some impressive photos to share and was contracted as a pilot under someone I consider top notch so that says something. Hopefully someone can weigh in on an actual hunt with him. I’m always surprised with the lack of DLG moose hunting chatter around here - it’s a great area.

AKBorn

WKR
I can’t speak to his actual hunts, but just by dumb luck me and Gabe both got weathered in in Iliamna back in June and were stuck at the same lodge. He seemed like a hard working and motivated guy. Really fun guy to hang around and chat hunting with. He also had some impressive photos to share and was contracted as a pilot under someone I consider top notch so that says something. Hopefully someone can weigh in on an actual hunt with him. I’m always surprised with the lack of DLG moose hunting chatter around here - it’s a great area.

Didn't the DLG area (or perhaps it was all of Unit 17) go to no non-res moose hunting within 2 miles of either bank of rivers in the Unit years ago? Has that regulation been rescinded and I just missed it?

OP
decrooj

decrooj

FNG
Didn't the DLG area (or perhaps it was all of Unit 17) go to no non-res moose hunting within 2 miles of either bank of rivers in the Unit years ago? Has that regulation been rescinded and I just missed it?
I am not sure about this regulation....Definitely something for me to check into!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I believe that is 17b. Not a or c.

Yeup, just 17B. It’s lake country and Gabe is flying a 206 on floats so not really an issue. And I wouldn’t wanna hunt the Nush or Mulchatna during coho season anyways with all the boat traffic.

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
I flew with Gabe in 2016, when he was flying for another outfitter. Good pilot and nice guy.

Any additional feedback on Mr. Davis? Spoke with him yesterday for quite a while and he seemed really down to earth and was quite helpful.

OP
decrooj

decrooj

FNG
Any additional feedback on Mr. Davis? Spoke with him yesterday for quite a while and he seemed really down to earth and was quite helpful.
I have spoke with him a lot and seems like a great guy. Very knowledgeable and down to earth. He is easy to get ahold of and responds to calls/emails quickly.

I have a hunt booked with him this fall, so I will be able to give you more feedback after my hunt.

I have spoke with him a lot and seems like a great guy. Very knowledgeable and down to earth. He is easy to get ahold of and responds to calls/emails quickly.

I have a hunt booked with him this fall, so I will be able to give you more feedback after my hunt.

That’s the same feeling i got from him. My brother in law is coming by the house tomorrow night to discuss a potential hunt. If that goes well I’m really inclined to pull the trigger and sign up for a 2022 hunt with him.

i emailed another group that drops off in same unit and they never responded. I’m sorry, but if you can’t take time to respond to a well thought out email, then how are you going to deal with my needs as a customer when it comes to actual flights?

OP
decrooj

decrooj

FNG
That’s the same feeling i got from him. My brother in law is coming by the house tomorrow night to discuss a potential hunt. If that goes well I’m really inclined to pull the trigger and sign up for a 2022 hunt with him.

i emailed another group that drops off in same unit and they never responded. I’m sorry, but if you can’t take time to respond to a well thought out email, then how are you going to deal with my needs as a customer when it comes to actual flights?
He seems like a great guy. I hear ya on the outfit not getting back to you. It amazes me how many stores you hear of people with the same experiences with outfits. I certainly would not book with someone that can’t respond to me.

Well, if you guys decide to go ahead and book with Gabe, I can touch base and let you know how our experience goes this year once we get back.

ppumil

FNG

So which unit will you be hunting with him. Were you lucky and go a draw hunt out there. We are looking at options for a moose hunt.

OP
decrooj

decrooj

FNG
Ended up going on a hunt with Gabe Davis. We did a river float hunt. It was an amazing trip/experience overall. I was able to harvest an awesome bull! Gabe was great to work with and extremely helpful throughout the entire process. I would strongly recommend contacting him if you are considering a moose hunt.

If you have any questions or want more information, feel free to contact me.

Khowie

FNG

Did you end up going with Davis?

OP
decrooj

decrooj

FNG
Yes I did. It was an amazing trip. Gabe ran a great operation.

Khowie

FNG
Good to hear......I'm thinking about booking with him. Did you see a fair bit of animals?

Pm sent
Ended up going on a hunt with Gabe Davis. We did a river float hunt. It was an amazing trip/experience overall. I was able to harvest an awesome bull! Gabe was great to work with and extremely helpful throughout the entire process. I would strongly recommend contacting him if you are considering a moose hunt.

If you have any questions or want more information, feel free to contact me.