Anyone Ever Hunted Washington Elk?

sargent

WKR
Hey folks, I've hunted elk in central Idaho and northwest Colorado the past two seasons. This year I'm thinking of heading to Washington state to hunt with a buddy who lives there. I was wondering how it compares to the other places I've been in regards to terrain, cover, and hunting pressure. I was also wondering if there's anything different or special about hunting elk in Washington state. I believe we'll be hunting Rocky Mountain elk in the western part of the state. Any information from folks who have been there and done that would be helpful. Thanks.

Mike 338

WKR
Bow hunted them many years ago. Populations seemed good. We were wet and frozen most of the time. Most of the hunters we ran into were wearing hip or chest waders. Who knew?

Washington is 3 point or better on the west side. There is some public but with as many people as there are that live there and hunt it can get crowded. I’ve lived and hunted there and elk is probably the last animal I would target there. There is some great bear hunting and decent deer hunting though.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I now live in WA and I don't hunt here. No interest in hunting the west side even tho I live in or close to some of the better hunting. East side is all draw for bulls or you can hunt spikes. I don't have any interest in hunting spikes. I will put in for a good east side archery bull tag until I draw, but have no plans on ever hunting WA general season. No way I would even look at WA as a non resident.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
hunted WA elk since 1967. But 90% on the eastside of Cascade mountains/PCT. Know my choice hunting area very well.
Western WA is the "wet" side, eastern WA is the "dry" side.

Wetside land access; Hoof rot is a big issue on the wet side. And the use, spread of biosolids is a controversy, along with land access. Trend of private timber companies, you need to buy $250+ access permit/gate key and is only good for vehicle driver and immediate family (spouse, children). So you and friend each need a motor vehicle access permit to hunt together in same vehicle. But you can hike, bike or horse in behind those gates for much less $.
So access on the wet side has changed a lot in the last 10 years.
Still good access on the dry side, per national forest access. May need a statewide discover pass ($30) if entering/crossing DNR lands, even on the Nat'l forest areas. Wolves are the problem on the dry side last 3 years and getting gradually worse. Also heavy impact on mule deer populations...by cougars too.

check regs for limitations. but basically eastside is general spike only for rifle season with cow, branched bull permits available in limited number. In 30 years applying for "any branch bull" permits, I have only drawn 3x, last in 2006. But filled those 3 tags with respectable bulls. Couple hunt partners didn't fill their branch bull tags the last 4 years. You will not see many 275+ points or more scoring bulls, unlike AZ, NM...unless you view the winter feed lots in Jan-February. And then only a few bulls in the 100's of elk present.
Wetside is usually 3pt min, but again check the hunting regs each year.

typical elk terrain is mostly forested, east or west side.
IMHO, very crowded, elk are pressured heavily from Sept thru end November by various seasons; arch, muzzle, rifle seasons.
2018 Non-resident fees: general season OTC elk $497, then purchase elk "lottery" applications for cow, any branched bull $111 each, submit apps deadline usually in May. Total all 3 options: $719.00
Hunting with a good friend, priceless perhaps?

I much prefer elk hunting in other western states. But outside of ID & MT, hard to draw AZ and now NM almost impossible for non-resident draw.
I dream of hunting NM-Gila again, darn those you tube vids.

Last edited:

Grundy53

WKR
If you are planning to hunt the west side you will be hunting Roosevelt's not rocky's. There can be good numbers and good hunting depending what area you head too. Our crew has 2 guys that are from Pennsylvania that come out and hunt every year. They seem to enjoy it. Both have been successful.

OP
sargent

sargent

WKR
If you are planning to hunt the west side you will be hunting Roosevelt's not rocky's. There can be good numbers and good hunting depending what area you head too. Our crew has 2 guys that are from Pennsylvania that come out and hunt every year. They seem to enjoy it. Both have been successful.
Sweet. Are you guys hunting private or public land?

Also, my strategy in CO was to move camps every day or two and hike in 2-3 miles from the road. That way, I got an evening hunt and a morning hunt in pretty far from day hunters' access point and was able to assess whether or not the area was worth further time. Are there areas where there is enough public and/or timber company lands where I could employ this strategy in WA.

If you are planning to hunt the west side you will be hunting Roosevelt's not rocky's.

Not quite true. There are a lot of rocky's even on the west side. I haven't seen many bulls that look like a true Roosevelt in Washington. I also was usually east of I5 which is where the cutoff is for roosevelts and rocky's.

Grundy53

WKR
Sweet. Are you guys hunting private or public land?

Also, my strategy in CO was to move camps every day or two and hike in 2-3 miles from the road. That way, I got an evening hunt and a morning hunt in pretty far from day hunters' access point and was able to assess whether or not the area was worth further time. Are there areas where there is enough public and/or timber company lands where I could employ this strategy in WA.
We hunt a mix of public and industrial timberlands. It would be pretty tough to employ your CO tactics due to the proclivity of logging roads. Your best bet to hunt similarly would find a big chunk of land that is gated and walk in only. But honestly the habitat is so thick you don't really need to get too far away from roads or people. Some of our best spots that we kill in every year you can hear trucks driving by on the main roads.

Grundy53

WKR
Not quite true. There are a lot of rocky's even on the west side. I haven't seen many bulls that look like a true Roosevelt in Washington. I also was usually east of I5 which is where the cutoff is for roosevelts and rocky's.
Between I-5 and the Crest are crossed between roosevelt and rocky. Most aren't true Rockies. There are still a lot of Roosevelt's east of I-5. Just depends where you are. I hunt the coast which is 100% Roosevelt's.

OP
sargent

sargent

WKR
We hunt a mix of public and industrial timberlands. It would be pretty tough to employ your CO tactics due to the proclivity of logging roads. Your best bet to hunt similarly would find a big chunk of land that is gated and walk in only. But honestly the habitat is so thick you don't really need to get too far away from roads or people. Some of our best spots that we kill in every year you can hear trucks driving by on the main roads.
What do you think about using mountain bikes to cover more ground on logging roads? We'll be hunting early archery season, so we're hoping the bulls will be bugling at least enough to give up their positions. Our initial plan would be to glass newer cuts in the morning and evening (while listening for bugling) and spending the midday hours riding, bugling, waiting, then riding more until we find a bull who wants to play. What are your thoughts on this plan?

BluMtn

WKR
hunted WA elk since 1967. But 90% on the eastside of Cascade mountains/PCT. Know my choice hunting area very well.
Western WA is the "wet" side, eastern WA is the "dry" side.

Wetside land access; Hoof rot is a big issue on the wet side. And the use, spread of biosolids is a controversy, along with land access. Trend of private timber companies, you need to buy $250+ access permit/gate key and is only good for vehicle driver and immediate family (spouse, children). So you and friend each need a motor vehicle access permit to hunt together in same vehicle. But you can hike, bike or horse in behind those gates for much less $.
So access on the wet side has changed a lot in the last 10 years.
Still good access on the dry side, per national forest access. May need a statewide discover pass ($30) if entering/crossing DNR lands, even on the Nat'l forest areas. Wolves are the problem on the dry side last 3 years and getting gradually worse. Also heavy impact on mule deer populations...by cougars too.

check regs for limitations. but basically eastside is general spike only for rifle season with cow, branched bull permits available in limited number. In 30 years applying for "any branch bull" permits, I have only drawn 3x, last in 2006. But filled those 3 tags with respectable bulls. Couple hunt partners didn't fill their branch bull tags the last 4 years. You will not see many 275+ points or more scoring bulls, unlike AZ, NM...unless you view the winter feed lots in Jan-February. And then only a few bulls in the 100's of elk present.
Wetside is usually 3pt min, but again check the hunting regs each year.

typical elk terrain is mostly forested, east or west side.
IMHO, very crowded, elk are pressured heavily from Sept thru end November by various seasons; arch, muzzle, rifle seasons.
2018 Non-resident fees: general season OTC elk $497, then purchase elk "lottery" applications for cow, any branched bull $111 each, submit apps deadline usually in May. Total all 3 options: $719.00
Hunting with a good friend, priceless perhaps?

I much prefer elk hunting in other western states. But outside of ID & MT, hard to draw AZ and now NM almost impossible for non-resident draw.
I dream of hunting NM-Gila again, darn those you tube vids.

3X's, I have been putting in for 22 years and have yet to be drawn once. I know several people who are +15 years waiting for their first tag. The problem I have now with the game dept and their ineptness is the wolves have decimated the elk populations to where finding a descent 400 bull is all but gone.

Grundy53

WKR
What do you think about using mountain bikes to cover more ground on logging roads? We'll be hunting early archery season, so we're hoping the bulls will be bugling at least enough to give up their positions. Our initial plan would be to glass newer cuts in the morning and evening (while listening for bugling) and spending the midday hours riding, bugling, waiting, then riding more until we find a bull who wants to play. What are your thoughts on this plan?
That's a great tactic

Wrench

WKR
Corey Jacobson has a great video on hunting the wet side. It's NOTHING like typical rocky Mountain elk habitat. Don't expect elk to travel as far and reprod is where you'll be most of the time.

I've killed 23 Washington elk, only one of which was a rosie....a mile from the ocean.

I'd be quizzing your group. I personally wouldn't hunt Washington as a non res. The hunt is short, crowded and the numbers are not great.......BUT, if your group has a method to making meat regularly, then I'd reconsider.

4xlarsen

FNG
This year was my first year trying the west side out, and if it wasnt for a cow tag, i probably would have come home empty handed.

cberry

FNG
If you and your crew want to shoot cow elk, WA is the place to be. I know this is not usually the case though.. Majority of Eastern WA is OTC Cow tags unless drawn for bull. (I am also assuming archery)

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I would have to agree with a majority of the folks previous. Born and raised here in WA, I knew nothing but the struggle of WA elk hunting the first 10 years of my elk hunting life. The fortunate thing is that for most archery hunts you are able to harvest a cow, just check the regs on the unit you will be hunting. If not for this rule, I would have only knocked down 1 bull in those 10 years. Once I swapped to archery I found success on consecutive years before switching it up and heading east to go out west to find bugling bulls and get some space to myself. IMO, if during the 13 days of season you get a single opportunity to draw your bow back you arent doing half bad. If the wind doesnt screw you, the amazingly thick vegetation allows you a shot, and everything comes together, you are doing very well. But don't count on finding elk every day. At least not when hunting state or public land. As mentioned, buying a private timber access pass is in the cards and some folks stack em up out there. On public ground, a handful of the days in the woods I would hear an elk (not a hunter, which was an every day occurrence) bugle and sometimes they would respond, but they were generally pretty call shy. In the area I frequented it was mostly a groundhogs day routine of still hunting the same general area day in and day out in hopes of finding them before they found me. All in all it probably sounds pretty grimm, but if it is all you know and the only opportunity you have then spending time out in the woods with a bow in your hands and your best friends around is really hard to beat. But if you can swing a different state I would highly recommend it.