Anyone ever leave a light on to help find camp?

WCB

WKR
Only time Ive used anything to mark camp was a pin in ONX and made sure my tracks were on for a short period when I left camp and this gave my the easiest place to make the final climb to camp...other than that would have been stuck below some cliffs or going a long ways around.

I've marked trail with short sections of reflective 550 cord before. It's light right up and is easy to follow with a headlamp. Depending on color, it can be near invisible in the daylight, if you want to be discrete about your camp.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I absolutely love this post. One of the kinds of questions that have occurred to me and I'm thinking, "this is an odd question, and I'm wondering if I'm going to get flack for posting, but wth?!" So much better than "show me your honey hole" or my repetitive "so I'm thinking about getting a new X".

OP
K

KyleR1985

WKR
I was at a bivvy camp late summer in CO one year around 10k ft and my brother and buddy were out pre-season scouting in the evening. A very dense fog rolled in just as it got dark, I was concerned they might have a bit of a challenge locating camp. I keep a micro-strobe hung on my backpack that I can quickly turn on so I can find the pack in case I ever have to to drop it. The strobe I use is waterproof, weighs nothing and will "strobe" for 100+hours on two coin batteries. I hung that strobe from a tree branch and my brother and buddy found camp no problem. The strobe lit up the fog nicely as it flashed.

MICRO STROBE (dog collar strobe)-- NOTE- this strobe will flash 100+ hrs on one set of coin cells, most do not last that long: MICRO STROBE

After telling you all the above, every other time I've been out reflective guy lines on my tent or hammock have been more than enough to find camp. I do have a couple of small, red-reflective tags I keep in my kill kit. I have used those a few times when the path to camp is obscured in deadfall or tight packed pine.

I would not be inclined to use the strobe unless necessary due to concern about attracting curious bears.

JL
This was exactly what I was looking for. Picked a couple up. Perfect, one for camp one for pack. Peace of mind solo this year. Thanks

Beendare

WKR
When I was making it, I sewed a reflective strip into the top of my tipi, and also did it to my pack......a good headlamp catches that strip and it lights it up from 100 yards away.

Those reflector twist ties and thumb tacks can also help a guy mark trails in the dark.

____