Anyone ever re-soled boots, employed a cobbler?

I sent some 2012 Asolo TPS 520 GV's to be re-soled by the Asolo recommended cobbler recently. I'm somewhat disappointed I had to do so, but apparently some of the older boots had problems with the adhedsive holding the sole on and it could rot and cause a failure. The uppers show a lot of wear but there is plenty of life left in them. I did buy a replacement pair at ~$300 but I figured for <$100 I could have a nice backup pair that I know and love. What have been your experiences repairing boots, having boots repaired?

K

Kootenay Hunter

My experience is that many cobblers will not 'warranty' their work, Ex. they will try with no guarantees. If it's a sole re-glue, you're paying for the adhesive and whatever clamping jig they use. The comment is often made that shoes nowadays are not made to be repaired

Could also do some research and find a good industrial adhesive and try yourself.

I wear high end hiking boots for work as I despise “work” style boots. Walk off the soles in a year or two. Have had many replaced at a local cobbler and have never had an issue with their work. A qualified cobbler will replace a sole easily and stand behind their work.

SharkDog

FNG
I've had boots and birkenstocks resoled. All of my experiences have been positive. The cobbler did a good job and clearly took pride in their work. I would do it if I were you.

Wrench

WKR
So far I'm doing better than new with cobblers. I do live within 50 miles of 5 custom boot makers.....

OP
Dos Perros
If anyone has experience with Dave Page in Seattle? that’s who I sent mine too.

Glad to hear of your experiences generally.

JWM

FNG
I’ve sent several pairs of zamberlans to Dave Paige over the last 7 years and every experience has been great. Usually only a week or two turnaround time and no issues with the quality of his work. The soles come back looking just like the factory originals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I literally got my Asolo 520's back from Rocky Mountain Resole - today. Placed the order online Sept. 5, got an email saying they received my boots on 9/11. So, three weeks in the shop if you count a week in the mail. Took them out for a prelim. ruck today and so far so good.

This is the first resole job I've had done and for $90 it's completely worth it - if for (as you said) no other reason than to have a good pair of backup boots.

DLawhead

FNG
I got some danner work boots re-soled, for 65 bucks it was worth a try. Then put red wing soles on the bottom, which I didn’t care. But they are holding up great so far.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did a review on the nevadas a few years back and them resoled....
Just had these guys resoled after some serious abuse...nice work by Dave Page Cobbler two week turnaround and ready for more abuse👍

They gave me another year on the boots and the resole work d fine

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a pair of Meindls back from Dave Page in Seattle. So far I'm pretty happy with the work.

OP
Dos Perros
Just got my boots back from Dave Page. Wow, they look awesome. At first I was regretful putting $100 back into old boots but I know I will get the value back in miles.

ca9cde7beb9a1931c4e637bb5789764c.jpg

b5eac8dbdcf9b6e9631373d687fc2595.jpg

9b4a1bdfd8737ee85497287b3ce4f1b2.jpg

If anyone has experience with Dave Page in Seattle? that’s who I sent mine too.

Glad to hear of your experiences generally.

I have been very happy with Dave Page's work.Even if I didn't live in W. Wa. I would mail my boots to him.In fact I do anyway because Seattle streets are a cluster %$#!#R

Jorge400

FNG
If you like the boots, give it a try. I have an older pair of Salomons that are the most comfortable hiking boots I've ever had. One day one sole just fell off. I had a New Mexico elk trip coming up in a few months and did not relish the idea of breaking in a new pair of boots, but I had time. I decided that since I had time, I'd roll the dice on $100 to see if I could salvage these comfortable boots. I'm glad that I did. That was a few years ago and they are still performing well.

Ulfhedinn

FNG
My old local cobbler was a miracle worker. I have some boots that are over 40 years old and he put them back together from me perfectly. The new cobbler is soso... I miss the old cobbler.

ELKMO

FNG
Resurrecting this post. Interested to see how re-soles have held up? Got a pair of Meindls needing new tread.

dtrkyman

WKR
Those look like a possible improvement over the stock sole, I have a pair of them and the boot is amazing, the sole I thought was ok, it is plenty durable but can be a bit awkward sometimes, it's like the edges are rounded and prone to wanting to roll.

If the boot were not so stiff it could have been a real problem.

Mine are pushing 8 years old and have some serious mileage and just now showing wear, just hunted a week in wet snow and feet were bone dry everyday!