Anyone ever use a "regular" hiking backpack?

Wrench

WKR
Well, compare that to my Gregory Denali Pro, and I think I'm better off as I am :)
I'll most likely use what I have at the moment, and then upgrade when a good deal comes up.
Huge difference in load handling ability. Frame vs non.

EastMT

WKR
If I ABSOLUTELY could not afford a top tier pack, I would either buy an alps frame for $109, or a Barney’s frame for $289 and strap a duffle or dry bag to it. The Barney’s is way better, but I’ve been on sheep/goat hunts with both cabelas frame and alps. They are not near as good as Barney’s, but for a budget pack they will work. If you can pull the $289, Barney’s will carry as much as any pack out there.

A $100 pack pack that isn’t too notch is better than not hunting. Heck somebody on here probably has one they’d sell for $50-75 since they’ve upgraded to a Kifaru

3271ff63b72928d8e39c3c7750125048.jpg

OP
S

seww

WKR
Huge difference in load handling ability. Frame vs non.
Maybe, but the hip belt and shoulder straps looks better on the Denali.
However, haven't tried both, so not going to say more! :)

OP
S

seww

WKR
If I ABSOLUTELY could not afford a top tier pack, I would either buy an alps frame for $109, or a Barney’s frame for $289 and strap a duffle or dry bag to it. The Barney’s is way better, but I’ve been on sheep/goat hunts with both cabelas frame and alps. They are not near as good as Barney’s, but for a budget pack they will work. If you can pull the $289, Barney’s will carry as much as any pack out there.

A $100 pack pack that isn’t too notch is better than not hunting. Heck somebody on here probably has one they’d sell for $50-75 since they’ve upgraded to a Kifaru

3271ff63b72928d8e39c3c7750125048.jpg
I know! I did look into the Alps pack and almost bought that just because of the external frame and low price tag. But I was already sold on the Denali for my purposes.

OP
S

seww

WKR
You can also put a camp bag between the pack bag and frame to expand it to over 70 liters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Used to have an external frame pack like that, still have the bag for it, but not the pack.

Well, thanks for all the replies, fun to have a discussion with some other views than my own!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I see that everybody posts about amazing hunting backpacks that are specialized for hunters and the needs we might feel like.
But for many, the budget for a good backpack just isn't there. I might have the money, but I cannot justify, for myself, a $5-600 backpack. I want one, I can afford one, but I cannot pull the trigger.
So I scavenge, eBay, Craigslist, anything to find a good backpack, brand names = good quality and warranties.

Example 1: My uncle had a Badlands SuperDay, he bought in 2008, used it for 10 years and got a different pack. He gave the Badlands to me, I returned it to Badlands and received a brand new one in the mail.
Example 2: In 2008 I purchased a Berghaus Vulcan. Youtube it and you'll see what a tank that backpack is. 80-100 liters capacity, durable like none other, it's still in use by my cousin. Great customer service. And new, I bought it about $200. Crazy good backpack. But the hip belt is not the best.

Then I saw that the Norwegian adventurer Lars Monsen, in case you never heard of him, please Youtube him. He took 3 years to cross Canada on foot, canoe and dog sled. It's on there, with English subtitles. He was using a Gregory Denali Pro for his adventures, I googled it and found out that it's one of the best ever made alpine backpacks. Big, great hip belt, awesome quality.
Searched for one, found it on eBay for just around $200 incl shipping. What a backpack! Just amazing great comfort and overall. Tons of straps to hang stuff and bulletproof.

Now, I've never tried a Stone Glacier or HPG or Kifaru or anything else, so I cannot say this is the best ever. But why wouldn't something like the Gregory Denali Pro work? It's red, sure. But as far as I know, the deer, elk and moose, don't really see colors that well (feel free to correct me). And since everybody usually wears an orange beanie at least, a red backpack is not going to make things worse.

Anyone got input? Suggestions? Want to give me crap? :)
My buddy had an equivalent to a camo jansport. He threw a front elk shoulder in. I think he made it about 100 yards before he lost a shoulder strap. He carried it The rest of the way down the mountain like a baby. 😂

Geewhiz

WKR
I'm pretty sure there is no way anyone would ever kill an animal without a 800 dollar kifaru.

OP
S

seww

WKR
My buddy had an equivalent to a camo jansport. He threw a front elk shoulder in. I think he made it about 100 yards before he lost a shoulder strap. He carried it The rest of the way down the mountain like a baby. 😂
Haha picture or it didn't happen!

I've heard back in the day my uncle's father carried a pack with moose, and then the head with antlers and all in his hand for 2-3 miles. That man was a strong badass.

I'm pretty sure there is no way anyone would ever kill an animal without a 800 dollar kifaru.
Well that is a helpful comment.
A lot of us here have suffered with typical backpacks. The point here is that we simply know better and refuse to suffer like that again. Generally we hunt hard, which is enough suffering as it is, we do not need to add to it with a backpack that for what we do and carry, performs poorly or simply fails.

Geewhiz

WKR
A lot of us here have suffered with typical backpacks. The point here is that we simply know better and refuse to suffer like that again. Generally we hunt hard, which is enough suffering as it is, we do not need to add to it with a backpack that for what we do and carry, performs poorly or simply fails.

I don't want to sit here and argue with you buy how many guys packed out animals on bare bones kelty aluminum frames back in the day? (and still do) I have packed out a handful of elk in a north face internal frame pack as well as an arcteryx bora, both of which handled the weight as well as one could expect.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Haha picture or it didn't happen!

I've heard back in the day my uncle's father carried a pack with moose, and then the head with antlers and all in his hand for 2-3 miles. That man was a strong badass.
If you saw his face when he got to the trailhead you’d have known he wasn’t in the mood for a picture! He looked ready to fight anything and everything 😂

That seems like a poor choice in carrying methods. That's not how Cam would do it :LOL:

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
S

seww

WKR
I don't want to sit here and argue with you buy how many guys packed out animals on bare bones kelty aluminum frames back in the day? (and still do) I have packed out a handful of elk in a north face internal frame pack as well as an arcteryx bora, both of which handled the weight as well as one could expect.

Easy boys (or girls...) I think you're both right.
Everybody knows the job can be done with any pack. A more expensive pack, even if it's a hiking pack, is going to outperform an 80's external frame, just on the hip belt and updated straps. But it can be done with either.

And yes, we all want to upgrade to the best thing for our personal budgets, why wouldn't we? Sometimes the gear-maniac in us gets crazy and for some, that's all there is. A new hunter might not have gone through that hell, to carry an animal out with "bad" gear, even though the bad gear has been tried and tested.

OP
S

seww

WKR
If you saw his face when he got to the trailhead you’d have known he wasn’t in the mood for a picture! He looked ready to fight anything and everything 😂
Isn't that WHY you should have taken a picture?!?

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure if Kifaru or Stone Glacier sourced and assembled packs over seas they could get their price point lower.

It sounds like the original poster is not from the US, so that may not be important to source American made products, but it still has an affect on the price you're going to have to pay.

For many hunters supporting brands and labor that help keep their dollars state side is important, many will pay a higher premium to do so.

Materials and labor are more expensive here, it makes sense that the bag would cost more, and fortunately the above mentioned brands quality matches the price. I'm sure there products made by companies that are American made where the quality isn't on par with the price.

Just something else to think about.

Buddy packed out a bone-in moose quarter with a standard Gregory last week and he's still alive. It wasn’t a long pack but I was glad to have my hunting specific backpack!

I think for those on their first backpack hunt if they already own a hiking pack you can get by. If you're going to keep doing this year after year then the investment is worth it!

Last edited:
OP
S

seww

WKR
I'm sure if Kifaru or Stone Glacier sourced and assembled packs over seas they could get their price point lower.

It sounds like the original poster is not from the US, so that may not be important to source American made products, but it still has an affect on the price you're going to have to pay.

For many hunters supporting brands and labor that help keep their dollars state side is important, many will pay a higher premium to do so.

Materials and labor are more expensive here, it makes sense that the bag would cost more, and fortunately the above mentioned brands quality matches the price. I'm sure there products made by companies that are American made where the quality isn't on par with the price.

Just something else to think about.
Your assumption is right, I'm not in the US, yet. Moving to Idaho at the end of November.

Of course that's a big selling point as well and the quality is much better that way as well. And I agree, support local businesses is the best thing we can do!