Anyone ever use a "regular" hiking backpack?

OP
S

seww

WKR
Buddy packed out a bone-in moose quarter with a standard Gregory last week. Wasn't super far but he's still alive. I was glad to have my hunting specific backpack!

I think for those on their first backpack hunt if they already own a hiking pack you can get buy. If you're going to keep doing this year after year then the investment is worth it!
That's what I'm thinking. I have lots of other investments to take care of so it doesn't make sense to buy a pack when I have one that will get the job done. And before I need a really good pack, I need a tag and then find and kill a deer :)

This argument always makes me think of the old timers who say "back in our day we didnt carry packs, headlamps, or water. Just tags and weapons". I ain't about to that life.

You might not need it, but it definitely helps to make the experience more enjoyable. A few of these companies will straight up talk you out of buying their gear if you're not going to be using it more than a couple times a year.

I admire your justification of spending more money on more packs rather than one good pack though. Whatever helps you sleep at night. LOL

OP
S

seww

WKR
This argument always makes me think of the old timers who say "back in our day we didnt carry packs, headlamps, or water. Just tags and weapons". I ain't about to that life.

You might not need it, but it definitely helps to make the experience more enjoyable. A few of these companies will straight up talk you out of buying their gear if you're not going to be using it more than a couple times a year.

I admire your justification of spending more money on more packs rather than one good pack though. Whatever helps you sleep at night. LOL
Are you referring to me, the OP?
I don't think anyone has ever said something about spending more money on more packs than a good one. I want to save money by not having to buy another pack and use what I've got.

My original post was more about, why would one need to spend several 100's on a backpack, just because it's a hunting backpack? And especially if one already owns a GOOD backpack. I don't think many people will say that the Gregory Denali Pro is a bad or cheap backpack.
Rather, I want to hear, from people who have made this journey, why my backpack wouldn't work for this task. Just because I don't want to re-invent the wheel again.

But in society today, many claim you can't even think about going hunting unless you have an expensive rifle, the best backpack, the most expensive clothes and etc.
Sure, using your grand-dad's old flannel and Jansport won't be as comfortable as new stuff, but it sure is doable. Not all of us want to, or can, afford a $5-600 backpack.

All in all, the experience will be more enjoyable with proper gear, no doubt about that. And to each his own.

Tradchef

WKR
Man....I used REI and an EMS panel loader for years and every year I packed out animals it sucked and it just made me wonder more about the other packs. So I just took any money I got and put it in a box. Outta sight outta mind. When I was younger starting out as a commis chef I made shit money for years and had my student loans and life expenditures like everyone else. I’ve never been one to put myself in debt for shit and like to use cash or a check to buy my gear. So long story short, saving, selling and trading over the years I got what I wanted. I was able to use MR, Stone Glacier and Kifaru. I settled on Kifaru as it fit me the best and did what I was looking for. I bought it brand new and every time I put it in and load meat in it I’m so thankful I’m not using my 30 year old EMS panel anymore. I do that with all my gear and I don’t feel bad about it one bit. Some guys get jealous I run swaro and not vortex but I just tell them I saved for a year and half to get them. I don’t mind suffering to get what I want in the long run. Same with packs and boots etc.....just figure out a system that works for you . There’s lots of killer deals in the used market too. Get a frame you want, run a dry bag and be minimalist for a season and get it dialed while you sa for the bag you want. Or just get little pieces at a time till you have what you want. You don’t need to upgrade every year like a lot of dudes do. Spending more time with your gear makes you better at dialing it in vs trading for the next best thing every 6 months. Good luck man. You‘ll be happy when you do it. Remember you can clean your bag and run your hunting pack for family outings too. Double duty and way better than an Osprey in my book. Heavier yes....but it’s just nice to have.

Tradchef

WKR
But to your above post.....I’ll take a shitty bag and go hunt everyday and twice on Sunday regardless of what’s on my back. Dont worry about what everyone thinks you need to have. Get a system dialed and go kill shit. That’s the name of the game.

OP
S

seww

WKR
Man....I used REI and an EMS panel loader for years and every year I packed out animals it sucked and it just made me wonder more about the other packs. So I just took any money I got and put it in a box. Outta sight outta mind. When I was younger starting out as a commis chef I made shit money for years and had my student loans and life expenditures like everyone else. I’ve never been one to put myself in debt for shit and like to use cash or a check to buy my gear. So long story short, saving, selling and trading over the years I got what I wanted. I was able to use MR, Stone Glacier and Kifaru. I settled on Kifaru as it fit me the best and did what I was looking for. I bought it brand new and every time I put it in and load meat in it I’m so thankful I’m not using my 30 year old EMS panel anymore. I do that with all my gear and I don’t feel bad about it one bit. Some guys get jealous I run swaro and not vortex but I just tell them I saved for a year and half to get them. I don’t mind suffering to get what I want in the long run. Same with packs and boots etc.....just figure out a system that works for you . There’s lots of killer deals in the used market too. Get a frame you want, run a dry bag and be minimalist for a season and get it dialed while you sa for the bag you want. Or just get little pieces at a time till you have what you want. You don’t need to upgrade every year like a lot of dudes do. Spending more time with your gear makes you better at dialing it in vs trading for the next best thing every 6 months. Good luck man. You‘ll be happy when you do it. Remember you can clean your bag and run your hunting pack for family outings too. Double duty and way better than an Osprey in my book. Heavier yes....but it’s just nice to have.
Nice, good for you man!
I'm the same way, if I have something that works, I need to get rid of that first before I buy something newer.

I am gonna take my time to figure out what I want and then find it used. I hate buying new stuff, when there are barely used stuff for half price.

Tradchef

WKR
Right on man. You’ll get it dialed and yes...I agree on the used stuff. So much barely touched stuff out there. You could get your frame in the $300 range or cheaper then run it.....dial it and look for the bags you want too. Once you get the frame it’s easy to play the game and save cash.

You could drive across the country in Volkswagon Beetle and do it again 10 years from now. If you've never ridden in a luxury SUV then the Beetle is Nirvana. Same thing with Badlands and Kifaru.

ScottB

FNG
I see that everybody posts about amazing hunting backpacks that are specialized for hunters and the needs we might feel like.
But for many, the budget for a good backpack just isn't there. I might have the money, but I cannot justify, for myself, a $5-600 backpack. I want one, I can afford one, but I cannot pull the trigger.
So I scavenge, eBay, Craigslist, anything to find a good backpack, brand names = good quality and warranties.

Example 1: My uncle had a Badlands SuperDay, he bought in 2008, used it for 10 years and got a different pack. He gave the Badlands to me, I returned it to Badlands and received a brand new one in the mail.
Example 2: In 2008 I purchased a Berghaus Vulcan. Youtube it and you'll see what a tank that backpack is. 80-100 liters capacity, durable like none other, it's still in use by my cousin. Great customer service. And new, I bought it about $200. Crazy good backpack. But the hip belt is not the best.

Then I saw that the Norwegian adventurer Lars Monsen, in case you never heard of him, please Youtube him. He took 3 years to cross Canada on foot, canoe and dog sled. It's on there, with English subtitles. He was using a Gregory Denali Pro for his adventures, I googled it and found out that it's one of the best ever made alpine backpacks. Big, great hip belt, awesome quality.
Searched for one, found it on eBay for just around $200 incl shipping. What a backpack! Just amazing great comfort and overall. Tons of straps to hang stuff and bulletproof.

Now, I've never tried a Stone Glacier or HPG or Kifaru or anything else, so I cannot say this is the best ever. But why wouldn't something like the Gregory Denali Pro work? It's red, sure. But as far as I know, the deer, elk and moose, don't really see colors that well (feel free to correct me). And since everybody usually wears an orange beanie at least, a red backpack is not going to make things worse.

Anyone got input? Suggestions? Want to give me crap? :)
I feel most packs are made well these days. Most packs are capable of using for all types of activities like hiking, backpacking, hunting, snow shoeing and so on. I have used a regular hiking and backpacking pack for hunting, but find the modern day hunting packs from the most reliable makers, just perform better as they are made strictly for hunting. If money is not an issue, buy a good quality hunting pack. If money is an issue, use whatever you have, just get out and hunt...

OP
S

seww

WKR
Right on man. You’ll get it dialed and yes...I agree on the used stuff. So much barely touched stuff out there. You could get your frame in the $300 range or cheaper then run it.....dial it and look for the bags you want too. Once you get the frame it’s easy to play the game and save cash.
Yup that's the plan now, and I really got my eyes on the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. But need to research some more.

OP
S

seww

WKR
You could drive across the country in Volkswagon Beetle and do it again 10 years from now. If you've never ridden in a luxury SUV then the Beetle is Nirvana. Same thing with Badlands and Kifaru.
Yeah so true, you do get what you pay for. But I also drive 15-20 years old cars...

OP
S

seww

WKR
I feel most packs are made well these days. Most packs are capable of using for all types of activities like hiking, backpacking, hunting, snow shoeing and so on. I have used a regular hiking and backpacking pack for hunting, but find the modern day hunting packs from the most reliable makers, just perform better as they are made strictly for hunting. If money is not an issue, buy a good quality hunting pack. If money is an issue, use whatever you have, just get out and hunt...
The plan for a hunt next fall has started. Got lots of planning and hiking to do over the summer 🙂

OP
S

seww

WKR
Man.....you can get a used Metcalf or leftover for the price you want to spend. That’s a great bag.
Just realized how small it is, only around 70 liters... i'd want some closer to 100, about 6,000 cu in.

Tradchef

WKR
Man....the Marshall would fit that that bill if you want a MR. Kifaru you have plenty of options in that size range. Reckoning( a bit smaller but not by much) hoodlum, fulcrum and they make a larger muskeg. The sky talus from SG is pretty killer.

Tradchef

WKR
I just saw a Marshall with the NICE frame on archerytalk for $300 shipped. That’s a bozeman made pack unlike the new ones. Heavier overall but bombproof.

OP
S

seww

WKR
I just saw a Marshall with the NICE frame on archerytalk for $300 shipped. That’s a bozeman made pack unlike the new ones. Heavier overall but bombproof.
Gonna take me a look, thanks!!

OP
S

seww

WKR
Can't find it... A link would be highly appreciated. Their site wasn't too user-friendly I have to say..

SonnyDay

WKR
One other note that I didn't see mentioned elsewhere in this thread: noise.

I've run Mountainsmith, TNF, Osprey, and Dana... and they tend to creak when you move. If it is windy, the straps also tend to blow around and flap. Not really an issue if you're climbing a mountain... but if you are still hunting this can be a serious issue. The creaking can sound somewhat natural (branches creak), but flapping straps is a pretty unnatural sound.

Dedicated hunting backpacks are engineered to limit creaking, and usually have a way to roll up and secure longer straps.

Good luck finding something you like!