Anyone ever use a "regular" hiking backpack?

OP
S

seww

WKR
One other note that I didn't see mentioned elsewhere in this thread: noise.

I've run Mountainsmith, TNF, Osprey, and Dana... and they tend to creak when you move. If it is windy, the straps also tend to blow around and flap. Not really an issue if you're climbing a mountain... but if you are still hunting this can be a serious issue. The creaking can sound somewhat natural (branches creak), but flapping straps is a pretty unnatural sound.

Dedicated hunting backpacks are engineered to limit creaking, and usually have a way to roll up and secure longer straps.

Good luck finding something you like!
Good point.
Of course these regular backpacks doesn't come with the features hunters look for.

Over here in Europe, some companies have started making backpacks out of wool, since wool is super quiet! I love wool, but the backpacks are smaller, only for daypacks at the moment, and many of them are made for like German pheasant hunts.

I'll add a comment that I haven't seen on here yet - The difference is density.

I use an old Osprey Aether 90, and other than the hip belt being too big for me (it slides down) it will certainly hold all the things. I've packed out half a cow elk (front and rear quarter) at a time, all four quarters of a deer, and several other chunks of elk, deer. It's unpleasant, and I notice the hip belt slipping so all of the weight is on my shoulders (which sucks). However, let's assume you get a hip belt that works, the next problem is the meat itself. There is no piece of gear that a normal backpacker carries that is anything like an elk hind quarter. Bone in, it's >3 feet long, shaped funny, and weighs 40ish pounds. Bone out, and it's a 35ish lb water balloon.

A conventional back pack just doesn't have the ability to stabilize/lock in this sort of load. They're designed for sleeping backs, bear bins, packing cubes, clothes, food, etc.., in essence they're targeting volume - not weight. A hunting back pack is targeting the ability to manage one (or two) 40 lb water balloons, stabilize them, get the weight on your hips, and manage the weight over rough terrain. Factor in as well that most "backpacking" packs are designed for trails, not off camber blow down, and you're in for a rough go.

So, as I've personally demonstrated (and many others as well) you can do it, but after using it for several seasons, a new pack is higher on my list than replacing my 50 year old rifle. If I'm lucky I'll pick up a used one, otherwise, I'll save my pennies and try on as many packs as I can with 80 lbs in them, and pick the one that sucks the least. It's all about the "suckiness threshold," we've all got a level of suck we're willing to tolerate, some higher - some lower, and we'd all like to spend that suckiness on getting a better hunt, not just tolerating crappy weather and uncomfortable gear.

OP
S

seww

WKR
So an update to whoever cares 😄
We arrived back in the US on 11/19, but my awesome backpack, the Gregory Denali Pro, had to stay behind.
We didn't have room and had to prioritize more important stuff, so I'm backpackless.

I only have a Badlands Superday, brand new though, so the hunt for a decent size backpack has begun.

Cordellh

FNG
I'm starting to think that spending money on the things we love to do is as much about the future comfort as it is about just showing our wives we can spend money too.

OP
S

seww

WKR
I'm starting to think that spending money on the things we love to do is as much about the future comfort as it is about just showing our wives we can spend money too.
Hells yeah!

Abonnema

FNG
I'm new to the sport but had relative success using a JanSport mountaineering specific internal frame pack. 70L and built to handle weight. I'm sure a purpose built hunting pack would have done better, but I didn't suffer any significant discomfort or strap failures.

S.Clancy

WKR
The best load hauling pack I've ever used was my Arcteryx Bora 80. That includes MR, Exo and Stone Glacier. I haven't personally used a Kifaru or Seek Outside. Those were just awesome packs. I used it growing up backpacking and working as a wilderness ranger in the AB Wilderness in MT. Def carried some gypsy loads in that thing.

I'm a big fan of the Osprey Talon 22 hiking backpacks. It’s been my go-to pack for the last 3-4 years. I’d sell it, try something else, then go back to it.

Last edited:

OutHeavy

FNG
The best load hauling pack I've ever used was my Arcteryx Bora 80. That includes MR, Exo and Stone Glacier. I haven't personally used a Kifaru or Seek Outside. Those were just awesome packs. I used it growing up backpacking and working as a wilderness ranger in the AB Wilderness in MT. Def carried some gypsy loads in that thing.
I started backpack hunting using the same pack over a decade ago. It was OK, but I didn't know it was just OK until I got a new pack designed for hunting. I first got the Mystery Ranch Marshall. First major difference is how much lighter new packs are than the old trusty Arc'teryx. Considerably lighter! And something you don't appreciate until you replace an old pack is how much the hip belt stretches over time because you aren't even aware of how poorly it fits (but, boy do your shoulders sure hurt after a pack out). You put a new pack on and it's like "Oh, that's how that's supposed to feel". Then there's the convenience of the load shelf and keeping your harvest separate from your gear. It's not life changing but it is convenient. Finally, the Marshall bag was a little unwieldy on shorter trips. Picked up the Pintler bag which fits the guide lite MT frame that came with the Marshall. That little engineering genius sold me on the value of a pack designed for hunting. Not exclusive to MR, but an advantage over a "hiking" backpack.

S.Clancy

WKR
I started backpack hunting using the same pack over a decade ago. It was OK, but I didn't know it was just OK until I got a new pack designed for hunting. I first got the Mystery Ranch Marshall. First major difference is how much lighter new packs are than the old trusty Arc'teryx. Considerably lighter! And something you don't appreciate until you replace an old pack is how much the hip belt stretches over time because you aren't even aware of how poorly it fits (but, boy do your shoulders sure hurt after a pack out). You put a new pack on and it's like "Oh, that's how that's supposed to feel". Then there's the convenience of the load shelf and keeping your harvest separate from your gear. It's not life changing but it is convenient. Finally, the Marshall bag was a little unwieldy on shorter trips. Picked up the Pintler bag which fits the guide lite MT frame that came with the Marshall. That little engineering genius sold me on the value of a pack designed for hunting. Not exclusive to MR, but an advantage over a "hiking" backpack.
Convenience is really the only reason I'm using a "hunting pack", specifically the load shelf. I'll have to weigh the Bora and my Exo to see what the difference is, cause I can't really tell.

I see that everybody posts about amazing hunting backpacks that are specialized for hunters and the needs we might feel like.
But for many, the budget for a good backpack just isn't there. I might have the money, but I cannot justify, for myself, a $5-600 backpack. I want one, I can afford one, but I cannot pull the trigger.
So I scavenge, eBay, Craigslist, anything to find a good backpack, brand names = good quality and warranties.

Example 1: My uncle had a Badlands SuperDay, he bought in 2008, used it for 10 years and got a different pack. He gave the Badlands to me, I returned it to Badlands and received a brand new one in the mail.
Example 2: In 2008 I purchased a Berghaus Vulcan. Youtube it and you'll see what a tank that backpack is. 80-100 liters capacity, durable like none other, it's still in use by my cousin. Great customer service. And new, I bought it about $200. Crazy good backpack. But the hip belt is not the best.

Then I saw that the Norwegian adventurer Lars Monsen, in case you never heard of him, please Youtube him. He took 3 years to cross Canada on foot, canoe and dog sled. It's on there, with English subtitles. He was using a Gregory Denali Pro for his adventures, I googled it and found out that it's one of the best ever made alpine backpacks. Big, great hip belt, awesome quality.
Searched for one, found it on eBay for just around $200 incl shipping. What a backpack! Just amazing great comfort and overall. Tons of straps to hang stuff and bulletproof.

Now, I've never tried a Stone Glacier or HPG or Kifaru or anything else, so I cannot say this is the best ever. But why wouldn't something like the Gregory Denali Pro work? It's red, sure. But as far as I know, the deer, elk and moose, don't really see colors that well (feel free to correct me). And since everybody usually wears an orange beanie at least, a red backpack is not going to make things worse.

Anyone got input? Suggestions? Want to give me crap? :)
If you want to buy a piece of shit pack, it’s your $200. If you want to buy a real pack, it’s your $800. Just go buy something and tell us how it works......

I've used a Dana Designs pack since the 1990s.
The red color has not bothered me as it matches autumn tundra nicely.
Bombproof and it can pack more meat weight than I would dare carry.
Large enough opening to fit a moose hindquarter.
It is has lasted me 25+ years and likely will last my lifetime.
Made in USA ....

I can only speak of my “ journey” into the backpack hunting world that started about 10 years ago. I to was limited on resources and such. I got a Kelty Redcloud 90 to start off with. It was a big pack and most of my gear was not high end at all but it got me in the woods. That being said with my pavk and my cheaper gear it got heavy, quick. That is where I saw the draw back. It was uncomfortable. I hunt in the east for whitetail and had some success. Packing out was not all that fun. It didn’t have the shelf so the pack bag became my meat bag. Then I’d go back in and get my camp. It just wasn’t ideal. So, I upgraded to a Slimberjack Bounty. It was better. It had a shelf and I started to get some better, lighter camp gear. I used it for several years and packed out a whitetail and several turkeys from backpack trips. I really enjoyed it , however there where some things I didn’t love. So, I decided to upgrade again and just today received a new Mystery Ranch metcalf. I really like the looks of this pack and frame so far and am looking forward to putting some miles on it before spring gobbler.
I can’t tell you it is the best thing ever or the price is worth it. I simply can say in my evolution of the sport I can see a benefit to having nice and comfortable equipment to help focus on what I need to and not on my screaming traps and shoulders or sore back.

S.Clancy

WKR
An update: I usually use my Exo for pack hikes but decided to use the Bora 80 tonight to compare. Had 70 lbs in it for 3.3 miles and about 1000' elevation. It carries 70lbs better than the Exo, hands down, at least for me. Like I said, the load shelf on the Exo is the reason I have it for hunting.

TCrea72

FNG
Tried a regular hiking pack a deuter. Just not accessible enough for what I wanted.

Jdw901

FNG
Yes, and they work just fine. Right up until you have to pack an animal out. They’re just not designed for it. Granted, my last three experiences we over 5 years ago. They were with a very light REI pack, preceded by pack outs with a Lowe-alpine and Dana designs pack (dating myself, but killer pack). None of them handled load well, snd made pack outs (camp + blacktail deer) pretty miserable. Won’t do it again. My Kuiu packs were a significant upgrade and Kifaru snd Stone Glacier an even bigger step up.

Ravenk

FNG
A MR Metcalf, Exo 3500, 4800, or 5200, or one of several Stone Glacier or Kifaru packs will work. Fair warning though, the used prices aren’t much better than new.

Your best budget bet is a MR Terraframe 80. They can be found on sale for $300-350.
Hopefully, the above information gives you some insights and helps you decide on what to do.