Anyone ever used a horse drop camp in Idaho?

My $0.02 - I believe it all boils down to your experience, and how hard or easy you want the hunt to be. A drop camp takes a ton of work off of you, and does give you extra time to hunt being that you do not have to deal with all of the set up and tare down, and for the most part these guys will put in Elk country that you would otherwise have to find on your own. With that, there is a family that runs drop camps in a particular unit that we hunt in Idaho, i have used them as a packer (Which was WELL worth it), but never a drop camp, met a man and his father (The father was in his 70's) that use their drop camp service, and they said it was well worth the money!

I'll say this, if you're going to a new unit that you never hunted before, and are limited on time (7 Days Max) and the extra cost doesn't kill your savings, go for it!

I used one many years ago. I don’t remember the name but it’s so long ago that the name would be irrelevant anyway.
I thought it was completely worth the money. The camp we were given was exactly as promised and we were dropped in spectacular elk country. We had bulls bugling constantly but unfortunately we were foolish kids, knew absolutely zero about elk and failed to score. That part was on us, obviously. I say do your research and go for it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Depends on the outfitter. There's some that keep putting group after group in the same area. Some aren't that far off the road. Almost all are on public land you can DIY. The ultimate decision is up to you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Me and 3 other guys are actually headed to one this September. Never done the drop camp before but it sure is nice to have someone set up camp and put us in an area they know elk are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Me and 3 other guys are actually headed to one this September. Never done the drop camp before but it sure is nice to have someone set up camp and put us in an area they know elk are.

Which outfitter are you guys going with? You can PM me the info if you don't want to post it up here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Huntnnw

WKR
unless I had solid info from past clients on the outfitter putting you in a good spot I would rather ask to be dropped where I want to be dropped and its on me if its a bad spot

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
That’s the only thing that I don’t like. I want to e-scout the area, but they haven’t picked a camp spot yet as they’re still scouting and watching elk daily. I have a very general idea, but I’d like it more if I knew exactly

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I replied earlier. Myself and 3 other guys are using a drop camp service this September. I’d be glad to answer any questions. Just shoot me a PM

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
We used Big Timber outfitters for about 6 years. It was nice because they got us 13 miles in so we never saw another hunter and it was a comfortable camp. Went diy last year and saw way more elk but also more hunters

That’s the only thing that I don’t like. I want to e-scout the area, but they haven’t picked a camp spot yet as they’re still scouting and watching elk daily. I have a very general idea, but I’d like it more if I knew exactly

I’m here to tell you that that’s NOT true. They aren’t scouting daily. But that doesn’t matter because they shouldn’t have to. Have you paid a deposit and signed contracts yet?

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I’m here to tell you that that’s NOT true. They aren’t scouting daily. But that doesn’t matter because they shouldn’t have to. Have you paid a deposit and signed contracts yet?

We have. We we will be hunting early September

A drop camp has 2 big advantages:
1: You don't have to carry a camp
2: You don't have to carry an elk

Most guys on here talk like they can hunt like a 26 year old ex-special forces veteran, but most would have a better experience in a tent with a stove and real food to eat. You still need to be able to hunt on your own, and take care of a camp. Many people struggle to do that for a week.
Instead of scouting elk, you need to scout an outfitter. With the internet, that is easier than used to be. Get references, and call past clients. Ask where your camp will be, and then e-scout the maps.
Fire season just started in earnest, so everyones plans are at risk of a last minute change until the first snows.