Anyone ever used these Hanwag Hikers?

Shrek

WKR
I haven't tried the Dakotas but I got the Yukons a couple of weeks ago. I have about 40 mi on them now and I can tell you they are the best boot I have worn so far. Liked them so much I bought a second pair to put away. Best part is I got them for@ $155 a pair from STP with two 40% off codes

OP
S

Salmo-Priest

That appears to be a great snag. Nice

jaime7818

FNG
Those look gay! Get the hanwags at STP if they have your size. Derailed has sasslongs for $166 shipped until the 3rd. Pm me for the code if you want it.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't used that particular model, but I see one of the STP reviews is by some schmuck going by "Hells Canyon" and he gushes about them.

OP
S

Salmo-Priest

Gonna hold out a few weeks until I can get down to REI and see what they got. Something about their return policy that is attractive espically when it comes to feet. A good deal is a good deal but a good deal won't make my feet feel better! :)

Thanks for your help though I really appreciate it. I haven't completely ruled out the Hanwags though.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
STP will let you return boots after wearing them for a few hikes. Might cost a few bucks to ship them back but thats better than being stuck with them.

I haven't used that particular model, but I see one of the STP reviews is by some schmuck going by "Hells Canyon" and he gushes about them.

;) you're a funny man Matt!

Salmo, used these boots this year and they are awesome. Much more comfortable than the sasslongs or Kenetreks I had been trying for the past 6 months. Not as stiff but their comfort and ease of break-in was awesome! Still going strong after 35 days in the field this fall!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
;) you're a funny man Matt!

Salmo, used these boots this year and they are awesome. Much more comfortable than the sasslongs or Kenetreks I had been trying for the past 6 months. Not as stiff but their comfort and ease of break-in was awesome! Still going strong after 35 days in the field this fall!

Funny how we all get lemons from time to time!

I had 3 sets of sassalongs......2 good and one had the sole fall off on a hunt.

Did love the two good sets!

Funny how we all get lemons from time to time!

I had 3 sets of sassalongs......2 good and one had the sole fall off on a hunt.

Did love the two good sets!

No kidding Aron. My hunting pard uses them and loves them! Mine were comfortable but made my heels feel like I was standing against a concrete wall, especially on the right boot. Other than that I really liked them, but the HanWags I'm wearing now have been really great. I wear them quite often and am really liking the smaller boots with the kuiu gaitors instead of wearing 8"+ boots.

One word of warning though, after a trip this year and spending a bit of time around a camp fire the toe rand on my left boot started to peel back. I just had them repaired (re-glued) at a local shop for $7 and they are holding up great so far. I guess the heat of a fire loosens up the glue and the toe rand will start to pull away after being heated up too much. Really makes it hard to dry out a pair of boots at 8k'+ in the middle of October!

Mike

OP
S

Salmo-Priest

Mike are you using the boots in my link or the all leather ones?

Mike are you using the boots in my link or the all leather ones?

I'm using the ones in your link (Brown color). My next pair will be the Alaskans as I think they might last longer with the full leather construction. I can see my Dakotas lasting 3-4 seasons though I've never had GoreTex in a boot last more than 2.

Mike

OP
S

Salmo-Priest

I'm using the ones in your link (Brown color). My next pair will be the Alaskans as I think they might last longer with the full leather construction. I can see my Dakotas lasting 3-4 seasons though I've never had GoreTex in a boot last more than 2.

Mike

Thanks bro.

OP
S

Salmo-Priest

Couple more for ya Mike. How well do the sole's hold up? Wear quick? And the upper lace "hooks" How well do they hold their shape. I've read some reviews wher they bend easy? Close or open too far?

Thanks

I haven't noticed any excessive wearing on the soles. They are a nice rubber compound in my opinion. Not too soft that they wear fast, but soft enough that they are good on compact snow n ice.
As far as the eyelets go, mine are still in great shape and I haven't noticed anything like what you mention??

Mike

OP
S

Salmo-Priest

IYO is the sole softer than that of the Sasalong? The Assolo is a very stiff boot IMO. Is the Hanwag in my link as stiff as the Assolo? Thanks Mike

Definitely not as stiff. I think their Alaskan models are similar style, but the Dakotas are more of a hiker/hunter combination.

Mike

OP
S

Salmo-Priest

Right on, Maybe I will pick them up. I'd run the Sassalongs but just too stiff for my liking.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord