Anyone from Montgomery Alabama?

Im about 2 hours north of there. Some good comments above. I agree that if you bow hunt the WMAs you won't see that many people. Most of them only have 8 or 10 days of gun hunts and they are on weekends so expect a crowd. Further off the road you get the less people. Great private land around there and clubs are about the only way to hunt it. Some $500 and some $3500+ to join. Some run well and some run by crooks. Good luck on your next duty station. Montgomery wouldn't be my first choice either but there are good deer in the area.

been in montgomery 25 yrs... it's a big country town. maxwell afb is in west montgomery which is on the poorer side of town. move out to east montgomery past eastchase mall. pike road area is great and growing. lake martin to the NE is a secret spectacular place. don't listen to these other clowns that live elsewhere...reasonable private hunting clubs are everywhere. join one is my advice.

pm when you arrive I'll give you the lay of the land and I know people with reasonable clubs. also check out the forums on al.deer

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR
I got orders to Montgomery Alabama next summer. I can’t say that I’m thrilled about the location.

I'm in the same boat about 2 hours south. Was not stoked about it at all... but man the bass fishing is wild down here. I didn't touch a rod for bass for about 10 years when I lived in VA because the effort-to-reward ratio was so low, but down here is a totally different story. Caught 9 this morning on a quick sunrise trip before work... so far I've got Striper, Hybrid Striper, Largemouth, Spotted bass, Choctaw Bass, Channel Cats and Bluegill off the yak in the past month I've been here. One from this a.m.

Screenshot_20221003_202135.jpg

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not military but live in GA and would have to agree with @dr.mooseknuckles here. Ft. Benning likely has on base land & wildlife management staff, and hunting access is probably limited to military personnel. Recommend research & contact them if possible, and base is located easily I believe from I-85 and I-185. Also, plenty of hotels, lodging, eats, etc. close by in Columbus. Deer clubs in AL & GA are numerous, popular, & can be productive but can also be expensive, very cliquish, rule laden, & political. Don’t necessarily expect a warm welcome for new club members, unfortunately .
Civilians can hunt on Benning but you have to be a guest of a service member. I’m stationed on Benning right now but my time here is short. I’ll be gone the first week of December and in Europe for the next three years. There’s a ton of hogs, solid deer numbers with some decent bucks around if you put in the time. You can pretty easily kill a few does every year with a rifle if all you want is meat in the freezer. I have no trouble shooting three wood ducks in most any hole I find. Last year was a little odd and I struggled to stay on birds all season but still managed to do well. The local geese are infuriating and I’ve been contemplating a ghillie and sling shot. It’s not really close to Montgomery but you can hunt either side of the installation with a GA or AL license. Just have to have the appropriate state harvest report card and stamps.

Im from Fort Myers FL but 10 guys from here have in a lease in Greenville. Ton of deer there.
I like being in a lease but its all about who im in with and how many guys are in the lease.
If you get in a lease make sure your goals and the goals of the other guys are the same.
Nothing worse than buying into an expensive lease and having a bunch of bs and conflict going on.

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you bow hunt any of the WMA’s you will have the woods to yourself after the rifle hunts are over. Since Alabama has cut back to 3 bucks per year and with antler restrictions on most WMA’s the hunting has gotten much better. I live two hours north east of Montgomery and have great luck on Choccolocco WMA. I would have no problem taking you scouting and showing you a few places if you ever get up to this area.

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you bow hunt any of the WMA’s you will have the woods to yourself after the rifle hunts are over. Since Alabama has cut back to 3 bucks per year and with antler restrictions on most WMA’s the hunting has gotten much better. I live two hours north east of Montgomery and have great luck on Choccolocco WMA. I would have no problem taking you scouting and showing you a few places if you ever get up to this area.
The main reason I got into crossbow hunting is so I could hunt the WMA’s comfortably all season. I can dress warm enough to stay comfortable in the top of a pine tree with the wind blowing and still be able to shoot a crossbow.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
@Mikedr how is your first fall at Maxwell shaping up? I just found out I’ll be heading down there in June.

Kodiak06

FNG
Join Aldeer if ya haven't. The NF located near Auburn holds some good deer. Clubs are ya best bet but, not all clubs are good clubs. Watch Rainier and Weyerhaueser for leases popping up

Last edited:

Yarak

WKR
Join Aldeer if ya haven't. The NF located near Auburn holds some good deer. Clubs are ya best bet but, not all clubs are good clubs. Watch Rainier and Weyerhaueser for leases popping up
Aldeer has a bunch of good guys but dont go on there if you have thin skin or have trouble with sarcasm

Yoder

WKR
Don't get discouraged. I live in PA. Everyone talks about how terrible the deer hunting is here on public land. The only state that has more deer hunters than PA is Texas. We kill plenty of deer on public land. I'm sure Alabama is the same way. If you hunt hard you will kill deer. I lived in the South for a while. One thing you will see is once they hear your accent you're an outsider. Good luck, I always wanted to hunt down there in January.

Kodiak06

FNG
Don't get discouraged. I live in PA. Everyone talks about how terrible the deer hunting is here on public land. The only state that has more deer hunters than PA is Texas. We kill plenty of deer on public land. I'm sure Alabama is the same way. If you hunt hard you will kill deer. I lived in the South for a while. One thing you will see is once they hear your accent you're an outsider. Good luck, I always wanted to hunt down there in January.
There's not really a PNW accent and in reality wouldn't matter. As far as public land, PA may have more hunters but they also have a lot more public land, roughly 2.5 million acres, Bama has less than 800k public acres and some requires a boat. With that said he'll be fine on public land, just gotta hunt hunters, then deer.

Yarak

WKR
There's not really a PNW accent and in reality wouldn't matter. As far as public land, PA may have more hunters but they also have a lot more public land, roughly 2.5 million acres, Bama has less than 800k public acres and some requires a boat. With that said he'll be fine on public land, just gotta hunt hunters, then deer.
PNW folks speak plain english without any accent which is a dead give away to any southerner
Been to WA many times and always seem to draw a crowd with this southern drawl

Yoder

WKR
All they know is you ain't from round here.