Anyone from Walla Walla?

Austink47

WKR
My family and I just moved to Walla Walla from Northern NM. I am trying to figure out the lay of the land. Most pressing issue is figuring out some where to exercise my dog, right now I have have a 6 month old GSP stuck in an apartment. I am planning to focus on upland this season, try to make a deer hunt happen, catch a few fish, and start figuring out the elk situation. I would be happy to buy someone a beer or two to let me pic their brain and help flatten the learning curve, certainly not looking for someone to hold my hand, just trying to get pointed in the right direction.

OP
A

Austink47

WKR
Check out the hunting-washington forum if you don't get any response over here. Met lots of guys through it, good people. I'm sure someone would be down to link up.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out.

Find pheasant release sites near you. They typically allow access 12 months a year for dog training. May need to call the WDFW region bio as their website sucks. Ask them to send the Pheasant report and list of release sites. They used to have paper copies available at the office years ago but now it's probably a PDF.

ONYX has helped me more bird hunting then big game hunting. It will show you the little 40/80/120 acre plots that are state owned amongst all the AG farms. These would also be a good place to take the pup depending on what's closest.

OP
A

Austink47

WKR
Find pheasant release sites near you. They typically allow access 12 months a year for dog training. May need to call the WDFW region bio as their website sucks. Ask them to send the Pheasant report and list of release sites. They used to have paper copies available at the office years ago but now it's probably a PDF.

ONYX has helped me more bird hunting then big game hunting. It will show you the little 40/80/120 acre plots that are state owned amongst all the AG farms. These would also be a good place to take the pup depending on what's closest.
Thank you. That seems like a very cool program. We took a cruise yesterday and kicked up a couple pheasants. One of the most picturesque bird hunting settings I could imagine. It is going to be fun to explore.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
No info for you but they have the best onions! My boss is from Touchet and he visits often, just brought me back 50lbs of Walla Walla sweet onions.

Just to the east of you are two great small towns, Waitsburg and Dayton. Driving into those places heading east is like driving back into time, like 1950s America. I used to pass through them on my way to Orofino Idaho to go deer hunting. Both locations have good places to eat, Whiskey Canyon being my favorite in Waitsburg. Both towns, and really all the way through Pomeroy to Clarkston is rolling hills of farm country. I am sure if you chat up a few people working at the eating establishments you could find a location to run your pup.

Make a day trip to Lewiston from Walla Walla. Lots of beautiful country to see. But watch out for deer as soon as you leave Walla Walla as it is a narrow highway with lots of animal traffic moving between the fields.

OP
A

Austink47

WKR
Just to the east of you are two great small towns, Waitsburg and Dayton. Driving into those places heading east is like driving back into time, like 1950s America. I used to pass through them on my way to Orofino Idaho to go deer hunting. Both locations have good places to eat, Whiskey Canyon being my favorite in Waitsburg. Both towns, and really all the way through Pomeroy to Clarkston is rolling hills of farm country. I am sure if you chat up a few people working at the eating establishments you could find a location to run your pup.

Make a day trip to Lewiston from Walla Walla. Lots of beautiful country to see. But watch out for deer as soon as you leave Walla Walla as it is a narrow highway with lots of animal traffic moving between the fields.
Thank you. Waitsburg is definitely on the list of places to check out.

Check out Blue Mountain Pheasants Forever Chapter 258 in College Place, they should be able to get you lined out with a place to work your dog.

Batch

FNG
grew up in walla walla now live in milton freewater. you can take your dog to bennington lake for exercise

Last edited: