Anyone go from a tipi to a tarp?

Buddy and I typically spike in with a seek outside tipi and stove plus around four days of food.

What we’ve found AARing our most recent elk trip is that we usually find elk by day 1 and fill our tag by day 2. If we don’t find elk by day 2 we’re back at the truck to regroup and find a new area anyway.

We’re thinking cut down to two days of food, ditch the tent/stove, and go ultralight with just a tarp.

This is for rifle season btw.

Anyone go from a tipi/stove setup back to just a tarp? Obviously severe weather might change this, but I think my DST tarp which gets carried most of the time anyway is a pretty capable solo shelter under most conditions.

I'd suggest you try the tarp on a trip with a warmer but still wet weather forecast. See if you like it.

My experience is not what you're asking for: I only ever use a tarp. It handles rain great and snow ok (have to shove snow off). Clear downside in colder weather, and it's more finicky to pitch (at least my one, 10' square silnylon) because it requires a tree. But I love it, would only consider other options if bugs were a huge issue or hunting in extended or extreme cold. My tarp is extremely spacious for one, and regularly sleeps two, although it's more cramped. I generally don't bother to pitch it if the forecast is good.

IMG_20190929_103135.jpg

Poser

WKR
I go either/or depending on conditions. Some years 1st rifle is bone dry with high pressure and highs in the 70s. No way I’m packing a hot tent for that. Other years, it’s frigid with lots of snow. I’d say I bring a hot tent 40% of the time during 1st rifle. Otherwise, it’s a UL tarp.

OP
B
Yeah this is obviously weather dependent. Temps below 15-20 F, high winds with heavy precip we would probably take the Cimmeron/stove regardless.

OP
B
If you leave the stove does the cimmeron does really weigh that much more than tarps?
It’s a roughly 2lb savings a piece. A little less for the guy carrying the stove, a little more for the guy carrying the tent.

I also usually carry my DST tarp with me at all times anyway, for a glassing shelter, putting quarters on during processing, emergency shelter etc. I’d you factor that in and it becomes my primary shelter, that’s even more weight savings.

The other part of it is a change in strategy from going out for multiple days at a time to just primarily overnights, which is more weight savings with food, expendables, etc.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle seasons here in CO I’m running a kifaru super tarp/annex w/stove solo or a sawtooth w/stove for two guys. I’ve done it without a stove but your gear better be tested and on point. If you’re finding elk by day two on the regular, why not just make a super comfortable truck camp and hike a little further every morning? You’ll be more rested and better fed and also more mobile as you can just move the truck from camp to camp. I only backpack in in the winter months if it’s absolutely necessary. I like my comforts of home and the extra sleep if I can get away with it. Don’t make it any harder than it needs to be

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t say I’ve left a Tipi, as I haven’t used one yet. But I do have dozens of nights spent anywhere from sea level to 11,000 feet in all seasons, including 3 trips to CO, one Archery, a 1st rifle, and a 2nd rifle. And, those nights have been spent in anything from a bivy sack, to a tarp, to canvas with liner kerosene and wood heated tents.

Archery, the answer would be a no-brainer. I’d bring a few days of food and a tarp in a heartbeat.

1st rifle I think could go either way. The year I went, we narrowly missed a cold front that had snowfall and single digit temps the week prior to our hunt. The hunt itself averaged 15-20 degree nights and 65 degree highs during the day.

The second rifle hunt started warm, then we had a storm and a few days of highs in the teens to twenties, then back to warmer (55 degree) days. Those coldest few days, would be almost impossible to have done with anything but a heated tent.

So, clearly the forecast may play a big part in what you grab last minute. I think the average rifle season, I would lean toward the tent/tipi option, without a stove to save weight. The tent/tipi is going to be a bit more of a foolproof set up with regard to wind directions and what pitch to use, etc. I like the tarp idea the most, but for those unpredictable rifle seasons, I’d feel more confident packing something completely enclosed.

Exarach

FNG
Tarp is a fantastic option if you have some trees or trekking poles (no trees).
Can be pitched almost anywhere and a variety of shelters you can make out of it.
I have a few, but found most are just as good quality/weight once you get above $70 or so.

Get one that doubles as a poncho.

Hard to give up the tipi here - especially during rifle season in snow. Packing less food will make it even tougher to leave behind!

I’ve experimented with tarps a bit, but for me, I really need something that I can fully enclose, at least around me. I found that when it’s raining sideways, straight up tarps can be a real PITA. Spindrift can be a PITA, regardless of what floorless shelter you’re using, but with a tarp, it’s even much more so. One of my favorite solo shelter’s for a night or two of spiking out weighs about 3/4 of a lb., and for more extended stays or if needing room for two, the DCF Silex weighs just over a lb.
e0930a37430f93e336d1b7dbb3d29788.jpg

eaf36f951e2d6df8c19f7d603e11417b.jpg

1c5151f8d1a919dd107d66622a490fb6.jpg

3d02fdc36ba98651a8947851cfc0ac4e.jpg

12d0593f2ee9e2fe225c6bbba5a788f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice post! Which MLD is this and does it include both the tarp and the nest?

It’s their solo Patrol Tarp. Looking back at the pictures I posted, it’s a little misleading and I apologize for that, the Zpacks bathtub ground sheet is not included in that overall wt. Everything for complete setup is included in that 11.35 oz., except the ground sheet and trekking poles. The ground sheet weighs an additional 3.2 oz.

Hoff

FNG
I’ve experimented with tarps a bit, but for me, I really need something that I can fully enclose, at least around me. I found that when it’s raining sideways, straight up tarps can be a real PITA. Spindrift can be a PITA, regardless of what floorless shelter you’re using, but with a tarp, it’s even much more so. One of my favorite solo shelter’s for a night or two of spiking out weighs about 3/4 of a lb., and for more extended stays or if needing room for two, the DCF Silex weighs just over a lb.
e0930a37430f93e336d1b7dbb3d29788.jpg

eaf36f951e2d6df8c19f7d603e11417b.jpg

1c5151f8d1a919dd107d66622a490fb6.jpg

3d02fdc36ba98651a8947851cfc0ac4e.jpg

12d0593f2ee9e2fe225c6bbba5a788f0.jpg

I’m quite interested in the Silex in DCF. Also considering Durston X mid. Do you get annoyed by having a short entry point door on the Silex? Have you used the nest ever?

I have a durston xmid, don't love it. It's at a reasonable price point and keeps water and bugs out, bit it's tricky to pitch well (so inner doesn't sag) and a lot heavier than a single wall shelter. My preference is a tarp unless bugs are really bad.

I’m quite interested in the Silex in DCF. Also considering Durston X mid. Do you get annoyed by having a short entry point door on the Silex? Have you used the nest ever?
I wouldn't say that I get annoyed getting in and out of it, but it's definitely not as convenient as a large mid, and no, I've never used a nest with it. I've owned a nest in the past that I used with several shelters, but for me, I prefer an UL wt. bivy that I can just clip up into the shelter if I need better bug protection.

rclouse79

WKR
I have both. I throw in my 7x9 tarp if weather is mild, or there is only a chance I will sleep out. It weighs almost nothing.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I have a durston xmid, don't love it. It's at a reasonable price point and keeps water and bugs out, bit it's tricky to pitch well (so inner doesn't sag) and a lot heavier than a single wall shelter. My preference is a tarp unless bugs are really bad.
This is surprising to hear. I’ve only ever heard how easy it is to pitch, even in bad weather.