Anyone had a inguinal hernia? Advice appreciated

Scottyboy

WKR
Had mine repaired probably 15 years ago absolutely zero long term affects. I remember being laid up for a few days (ice is your friend). After the swolling went down i felt great. I can’t speak for ‘back to the gym’ as I don’t go to one, but I would say that slowly get back to it as it’s not worth the risk of rupturing it again.

I was put under, had the 3”? Incision and mesh patch was used. At the time, my surgery went 1hr when it should have been 30mins, I guess I had a “bad” hernia, but I’m sure things have improved since.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Get fixed, recover, don’t rush/push it and live life like you always have soon after.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My sack was black and blue for about a week from the surgery, that was strange. Take Metamucil like it’s going out of style in the days leading up to your surgery, you won’t be able to use any pressure to poop.

Mmcan

WKR
Laparoscopic robotic surgery is different that just "laparoscopic" hernia repair. The robot allows the surgeon to approach the inside of the hernia, open the fascia there, place the mesh in the appropriate location, close the fascia and the hernia defect MUCH more effectively than conventional laparoscopic repair. It's still a relatively new way to repair inguinal hernias, especially compared to the open repair, so the "long term data" isn't as complete as other modes of repair. But the initial results are excellent w the robot (and laparoscopic repair without the robot has a higher recurrence rate than the old fashioned open repair) As an anesthesiologist who takes care of these patients with surgeons who repair them in a variety of ways, and after discussing the different ways to repair them, I would choose to have it done with the robot if my hernia was amenable to that mode. And that is an important factor i deciding and advising what your options will be.

Find out if the surgeon has extensive experience with all of the different options, especially w the robot. If you have the time, get a second opinion, and see what that surgeon advises.

Bumping this thread back from the past. Interested in a 2-year follow up from @BeaverHunter if he's still around.

I have had a small hernia for many years, never bothered me until some time in 2019 I was doing a lot of weightlifting and it made a real step change. Put it off, then 2020 happened (was not going to a hospital voluntarily), and now we're here. I'm still in good shape, can run, walk, or ride my mountain bike all day, and can squat 225 as long as I like. Never any pain, but I'm stupid enough to make it hurt pretty bad given a reason to.

At any rate, I'm hoping to make 1st rifle elk (16 Oct-ish) in CO this year. Got a surgeon lined up for this Friday, robotic method. He says 6-weeks to no-restrictions, but guess I'll have to wait and see what the trajectory looks like. Seems like recovery is reported as either no-big-deal or 6-weeks-of-hell.

D_Eightch

WKR
Bumping this thread back from the past. Interested in a 2-year follow up from @BeaverHunter if he's still around.

I have had a small hernia for many years, never bothered me until some time in 2019 I was doing a lot of weightlifting and it made a real step change. Put it off, then 2020 happened (was not going to a hospital voluntarily), and now we're here. I'm still in good shape, can run, walk, or ride my mountain bike all day, and can squat 225 as long as I like. Never any pain, but I'm stupid enough to make it hurt pretty bad given a reason to.

At any rate, I'm hoping to make 1st rifle elk (16 Oct-ish) in CO this year. Got a surgeon lined up for this Friday, robotic method. He says 6-weeks to no-restrictions, but guess I'll have to wait and see what the trajectory looks like. Seems like recovery is reported as either no-big-deal or 6-weeks-of-hell.
I had mine done laproscopic. Wasn't a big deal. A bit sore for a few days, followed their recommendations as far as avoiding lifting etc. When I got back into the gym I eased into it without it ever bothering me.

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
Yea you should be good to go. Now is the best time. I Got both my sides done laproscopically and a month later I was in the mountains for a week in mid oct. I did restrict my pack to 25 lbs though, didn't want to take any risks with excessive weight.

You will be back to doing whatever you please by July. The lathroscopic is minimally invasive.

If they send you home with pain meds, use sparingly, try to wean yourself off pretty quickly, drink lots of water, and don't eat cheese or bread. Nothing is as miserable as trying to poop out a bowling ball.

You will be back to doing whatever you please by July. The lathroscopic is minimally invasive.

If they send you home with pain meds, use sparingly, try to wean yourself off pretty quickly, drink lots of water, and don't eat cheese or bread. Nothing is as miserable as trying to poop out a bowling ball.

My plan is to not even fill an opioid script. Never taken any, don’t want to start. See how far I get on good old vitamin I, might feel different on day 2

OP
BeaverHunter
My plan is to not even fill an opioid script. Never taken any, don’t want to start. See how far I get on good old vitamin I, might feel different on day 2
You’ll be good to go. I was actually hiking 10 days after my robotic surgery and felt good. I have had no side effects from the surgery. I think you’ll be fine with little to no pain meds. I only took half an ibuprofen 800. I was in a decent amount of pain for the first few days but nothing crazy.

Well, got it done this morning. Propped up with some Norco and hbo max for the weekend. Not too bad yet, but the nerve blocker is still working down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
robotic mesh done in December for double hernia, pain no big deal but the bloating and junk inflation with colors of the rainbow were interesting🤣 took about 8 weeks and was good to go 3 little scars is all went as good as could be expected …..👍

Finch

WKR
When I was getting my physical 15 years ago for the start of my job, the pretty doctor had me turn and cough and told me I had an inguinal hernia. I've still done nothing about it and wouldn't know I had one if she didn't tell me.

Are you guys having issues to prompt the surgery or getting the procedure done because you're told you have one?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was having pain in the groin area and had a prior back surgery to l5s1 discectomy the region is all connected for back support and have been much better with my back since the repair for the hernias. getting old and having too much fun sucks 🤙

Are you guys having issues to prompt the surgery or getting the procedure done because you're told you have one?

I’ve been aware of mine for many years 10-15. Wasn’t a big deal at all until I got into powerlifting a few years back. Was pretty darn big by the time I got around to getting it fixed, maybe 2.5”. Took up most of the scro.

Only time it really bothered me was after an hour or more of running, long days on the river, or big squat/leg press days. Like I said, didn’t want it to make a big negative step change in the backcountry…so I got it fixed. If it wasn’t for the size, I might not have.

I had bilateral inguinal hernias a few years back. Had one hurting me bad by my right test. Felt like someone kicked me in the nuts. Upon inspection my doc said I had two, with another on the left. Got the surgery a week later, and healing went by fast. Hurt like hell for 5-7 days, but I was out on a bear hunt 4 weeks after going under the knife. Haven’t had any issues since!

my pops had the same, but went to a different surgeon. First repair failed and he had to go back in. Second operation was a success but that surgeon said the last doc did a number. From start to finish my old man went through 6 months of hell.

takeaway: experiences may vary. Good luck! 🤙🏼

Jbxl20

WKR
I had/have one. About 12-13 years ago I had one really giving me a lot of trouble on my right side. But usually only at nights after I ate. I Had multiple dr. appts including an ultra sound. Confirmed hernia. Scheduled a surgery and then I Changed my eating and casual drinking habits leading up to the surgery. ( I would go out with friend 4 times a week. Over eating and downing a few pitchers). Since I quit eating so much and drinking it quit bothering me and I canceled the surgery. Im sure I still have it, but it hasn’t bothered me since. Guess all the food and beer needed somewhere else to go.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
I just had my hernia surgery done this morning. Really was nothing compared to spine and adult tonsil surgery. I went with mac sedation as I didn't want to be put out either. It was no big deal, never felt anything and it was done at a teaching hospital so I got the play by play. I would say at this point it feels about like a pulled ab muscle. Tomorrow may be different but at this point it hurts less than what I had yesterday.

Day three for me, and I'm way better. Still pretty stiff in the midsection. The doc said mine was pretty advanced, and I did ignore it for a really long time because it never really hurt at all before.

That's why I went on and had mine done. Guess yours started hurting?

I had general sedation and a blocker on my lower abdomen. Still a little numb from that.