Anyone have a Canadian moose hunt booked for 2020

Laramie

WKR
With the number of people that already have antibodies, why wouldn't they at least allow them in? At some point the different states and countries should start acknowledging that a certain % of the population is now safe.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I can almost guarantee you our idiotic PM will not open the border.
He could care less about the economy or the well being of anyone west of Ontario.
Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, he would prefer to give them a handout a fraction of what the outfitters would actually make this year.
I really feel for all guides, outfitters and everyone involved in the hunting/fishing industry this year.
And I am very happy I didnt take the plunge and purchase my own outfit this spring like I was looking at doing.

Maybe if Biden beats Trump we can get him to run for PM of Canada.

rmrwade

FNG
cant they just get a cannuck to take the tags we americans cant get up there for this year. I keep reading about how the bulls will be bigger next year. I am just assuming my back country tag out the country west of grande praire will go to somebody from up there. They may have to discount them a bit. I guess i dont know how moose hunts are viewed by the public up there. If they all get good tags on their own then it will be tough on the guides and outfitters.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
cant they just get a cannuck to take the tags we americans cant get up there for this year. I keep reading about how the bulls will be bigger next year. I am just assuming my back country tag out the country west of grande praire will go to somebody from up there. They may have to discount them a bit. I guess i dont know how moose hunts are viewed by the public up there. If they all get good tags on their own then it will be tough on the guides and outfitters.

Not necessarily.
I own a cabin north west of Grande Prairie. Our draws were done long ago. In order for a resident to "Get your tag" it would have to have been drawn back in June. And even then a certain amount of tags are allotted for residents and outfitters. By law an Alberta resident cant hire an Alberta outfitter to hunt an outfitter tag in Alberta.
Stupid system. An American can hunt big horn sheep every year in Alberta if he has 35K USD, but an Alberta resident cant buy the same hunt cause hes an Albertan.
Im not trying to come off rude or arrogant when I say this, but not a lot of Canadians are to keen to pay a Canadian outfitter 8K CDN (Thats low end on the discounted hunt spectrum this year) to take them to kill a 40" moose when most likely they can draw that tag themselves and spend 2K CDN to go self guided.
For someone that lives in a city and doesnt have the quads, wall tents etc I get it.
But I can draw a bull moose tag every 4-5 years in a fairly good zone and kill a 40-55" moose in a 7-10 day hunt in the rut.
I can also archery hunt an OTC tag from Aug 25-Sep 22 every year in the zone my cabin is in.
As bad as Alberta can be, we have a ton of opportunities that many other states and provinces could only dream of.
18 days till im at the cabin chasing these boys with the Mathews!!!!
70kcnW3.jpg

rmrwade

FNG
thanks, I thought there had to be something I was missing. usually is. We were told a couple weeks ago that we would get bumped to next year, if not cleared for border crossing by the end of aug.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Still waiting to see what the Canadian Govt does as we approach the current restricted travel date of Aug 21st. Looking at the current restrictions, see link below, all current travelers into Canada must quarantined for 14 days upon entry. How is that going to work if hunters are allowed in?

CIC News

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
That seals the deal for me ... was supposed to fly out the 28th to northern AB. Time to start planning for 2021.

OP
S

Swampyak

FNG
Our outfitter has been ignoring our attempts to contact them for two months now
Hopefully they were just waiting till they knew there was no chance

Not a good deal at all right now regarding the border closures in Canada and Mexico. Millions of tourist and outdoorsmens dollars lost for the remainder of 2020. Probably 3 or 4 years to cycle through the rescheduled hunts. I feel for the outfitters also.

JLowry

FNG
I was booked for NL in 2021. Was just told my hunt would be pushed back to 2022 to allow for this year's hunters to go next year. Only chance I have for next year is someone canceling for a schedule conflict nest year. Guides and outfitters in Canada are going to take a beating this year.

WCB

WKR
We talked with our outfitter and he is planning on being able to expand a bit next year as he believes a few outfitters are going to go under or at least downsize a bit. I'd be really fearful if I had an outfitter at this point keep putting of rescheduling or refunding. Even more so if they won't return my calls/emails.

keller

WKR
Just got the call today... Newfoundland outfitter pushed us to 2021.already had another client booked for same week 2021.still working on the details.

JLowry

FNG
I think the outfitters have been reluctant to respond simply because they really didn't know what was going to happen and were holding out hope that things would open up. They have to rebook this year's hunters and it really isn't fair to those guys to get pushed back two years. It's going to screw a lot of our schedules up because of having other hunts planned, but blaming the outfitter probably isn't the proper way to look at this.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
If my outfitter pushed me back 1 year, I'd walk. My hunting schedule is figured out 2 years in advance.

If I was your outfitter, I'd probably refund you just so I wouldn't have to deal with you ... If you have guided hunts scheduled for the next 2 years, there's a good chance they'll be pushed back a year as well, but you do you.

OP
S

Swampyak

FNG
Finally was able to make contact yesterday.
They moved everyone back one year.
We are going next year.