Anyone have a Ruger Hawkeye FTW

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Just looking for accuracy reports and general impressions...Thinking about picking one up. My dad has one and it is pretty accurate and I like the feel of it, but I’d like to get a bigger sample size. I’d get a 300WM if I get one. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an all weather Hawkeye (stainless finish) in 7 wsm several years ago at a great price... it’s not the FTW model tho... so far it has outshoot my 2 Kimber Mountain Ascents and Barrett Fieldcraft... and my Remington 700s... with factory ammo... so I’m a big fan of the Hawkeye. Mine is a great rifle so I bought a couple more to add. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Maybe a a few years ago I think Ryan had a write up on one. If I remember they were at the FTW site and may have been testing some other stuff. It’s worth a search if that’s the rifle you’re after

Good timing for this to come up. I just received mine. Mine is a discontinued left hand model in 375 Ruger and has probably sat in it's box for several years somewhere. It's definitely got the Ruger trademark gravely action that smooths up nicely after a few dozen bolt cycles and oiling. The trigger is a bit creepy but I've done the polishing on a guide gun (same action and trigger) and it turned out well enough.

These Rugers, they have a way of getting better with use. I've already fallen in love ;)

I've just worked up some loads and I'll get to the range this week.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I sold my Ruger FTW in 6.5cm. My daughter shot a WT doe with it at 375 yards, but it always had more recoil than it should have had, especially with a brake. After playing around with a .270 without a brake, we liked it much better so sold the FTW rifle.
100_3760.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve got the same one pictured above in 6.5 and really like it... except I put a monster scope on there (I think a Viper 6.5-20X50) so it’s a bit heavy to carry over all my other hunting rifles for nearly everything I do on foot.

Haven’t stretched it out or ran hand loads yet, though accuracy is solid with the Hornady 143 ELDX. Love the finish on the stock and barrel, too. Really like the quality of the gun.

But, my next rifle is going to be a lightweight stainless in the same caliber (6.5). Looking at the two Kimber options, the Browning Hell’s Canyon Speed, Savage Lightweight Storm, and of corse all this Tilkka romance on here has got me thinking of the TX3. The FTW will probably remain in the safe except for stand hunting or target range.

If it interests anyone, here is a link that describes the process of improving Ruger's LC6 trigger. I use 2000 grit sandpaper on a very flat hard surface then a dremmel and felt bit with polishing compound. The sandpaper just speeds up the process a bit. The goal is not to remove any more than is necessary to see a difference and polish.

I did this to my new FTW last night. It took a total of about an hour and now the trigger is as crisp as my Tikka.

swNEhunter

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has one in 6.5 CM and it shoots factory Hornady Precision hunter consistently sub-MOA. Haven't shot any other ammo through it since most groups are around .5" with the 143s. We've shot it a lot out to 1,000 and are very happy with it.