Anyone have any portable generator recommendations?

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
The harbor freight predators can’t be beat for the money. I’ve seen buddies run Honda’s for their fish house and they’re amazing but almost triple for what the predators cost and they’ve been just as quiet as the Honda’s. Also the warranty on the Predator is great.

I own neither but if I needed one, I’d go to HF.

Honda 2000 is what I have.
Sorry to side track this, can someone PM me a picture of the bigger tank hooked to their eu2000 that they are using.

where are people finding parts for the HF 2000? That was the problem with my last geni, couldn’t find parts to service/repair it.

boom

WKR
So you all have pretty good experiences with the Yamaha AIPower model?

my boss loves his. he lives near me and we shared the same, or similar blackouts and wildfire fiascos. basically when my Honda was running his Costco Yamaha was running. he was running two freezers and some lights in his house, plus it was charging a few small items. for the money, what? 25% of a Honda, i cant tell the difference.

i never asked him about fuel consumption or run times..but i do know my Honda is a fuel sipping freak at my power demands. but i wasnt running any high power stuff like a rice cooker or anything. :)

boom

WKR
another thing about the Honda. simple service. oil changes are a cake-walk. so easy, i did mine every 10 hours of run time for the first 30 hours of motor break in. i ordered a cool machined aluminum dipstick with a magnet at the tip to catch any engine grit.( that's ferrous). the kit came with a no-dribble spout to assist in oil dump and refill.

i took the carb and cleaned it on a EU2000 mid blackout and it was so easy to fix. i cleaned it with the only cleaner i had. Remington Gun scrubber spray. i'm no mechanic. but it was pretty intuitive.

Voyageur

WKR
Timely thread as I'm currently searching for a new generator. I began my search knowing next to nothing. I've learned a lot, but am still by no means anywhere near an expert.
Currently have a Champion 4000. At 135 lbs it isn't overly portable, nor is it an inverter.
My main uses for it would be to run the fridge and freezer if we lost power at home in addition to the blower and auger on a wood pellet stove. Another more frequent use would be to power a small electric heater to warm my shell topper on hunting trips. After several months of research I narrowed it down to Yamaha and Honda. Ultimately chose the Honda because it is lighter and quieter. Also decided to go the inverter route in order to run the pellet stove and charge phones and such. Still haven't made the purchase though which is probably a good thing because when I stopped in the store yesterday to check prices on the Honda 2200 I found the shelves empty. Seems Honda issued some sort of recall because of a safety issue and it will be March sometime before they are available again.

tdot

WKR

I've not seen that model before. I'm familiar with the ef series. The A-iPower doesnt appear to have the same specs. Different weight, lower AC (13.3a) output, different Inverter technology. So dont think it's the exact same thing either, so can't comment.

rayporter

WKR
who has had a cheap genny worked on or used the warranty with success?

it does appear that plenty of folks win the generator lottery, as in get a good cheap one.

my stepson works on generators and has a giant pile of cheapies out back because the parts are impossible to get. or if he can fix it it will cost 500 bucks and a new one will cost 499$

fmyth

WKR
I have no personal experience with the Yamaha/AI generator but would try one out (Costco has a 1 yr satisfaction guarantee on all products except certain electronics).

fmyth

WKR
who has had a cheap genny worked on or used the warranty with success?

it does appear that plenty of folks win the generator lottery, as in get a good cheap one.

my stepson works on generators and has a giant pile of cheapies out back because the parts are impossible to get. or if he can fix it it will cost 500 bucks and a new one will cost 499$
My first new generator was a Champion. It died on the first trip. Camping World/Champion replaced it no questions asked. Number 2 made it 3 trips and died. I took the refund and applied it to the Honda. Warranties are great, but if you are camped hours from the nearest town and counting on that generator you are still SOL.

boom

WKR
My first new generator was a Champion. It died on the first trip. Camping World/Champion replaced it no questions asked. Number 2 made it 3 trips and died. I took the refund and applied it to the Honda. Warranties are great, but if you are camped hours from the nearest town and counting on that generator you are still SOL.
solid point.

I've got a firman brand and used it quite a bit during the construction of our new house and have to say so far so good and I think if I remember correctly they use a Tecumseh engine, and as far as run time I think it was around 20 hours on about 3.5 gal of gas, it's a 3650/4650 watt unit. And best part it was free as a safety bonus from work.