Anyone have both mil and moa scopes?

brsnow

WKR
Been reading up on both. I understand the basics of both and have lived here and abroad so both systems comfortable for me. Want to put mil scope on my 6.5 CM and MOA on 30-06( less likely to dial). Once the set ups are dialed in and using a rangefinder I don’t think it would be an issue. Anything I am missing?

Fatcamp

WKR
Nope. But we are pretty simple. Follow our dial chart and use a rangefinder.

Honestly, I think moa is easier to deal with.

doc88

FNG
I have and hunt with both. However, my FFP scopes are MIL and my SFP scopes are MOA. There is a little math involved in understanding the two, but as said above "range and dial".

Plumb Bob

FNG
I run both. Mostly switching to mils, but do have a couple swaro's that have a nice weight/glass combo that only come in MOA. I usually have a kestrel with me, and it is pretty simple to switch back and forth between the two for a calculation.

Yes, I have both but only one MOA scope left. Trying to convert to all mils just for memory’s sake. Easier to remember corrections in just one. That said, math doesn’t really play into it if you’re doing it right.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have both and agree it’s easier to work in one or the other. Which one matters not but it would be nice to have one or the other if just for my brain.

Future scopes will come in mil for me personally.

desertcj

WKR
I currently only have moa, I was planning on getting a mil scope but I'm bit concerned about the coarser adjustments of mil scopes at long range...

Tartan

WKR
I currently only have moa, I was planning on getting a mil scope but I'm bit concerned about the coarser adjustments of mil scopes at long range...

At 1000 yards one .25 moa adjustment is 2.5 inches. One .1 mil is 3.6 inches. Difference of 1.1 inches at 1000 yards. I think the consensus is that it doesn’t matter. If you want to go crazy there are some 1/8 moa scopes out there.

desertcj

WKR
At 1000 yards one .25 moa adjustment is 2.5 inches. One .1 mil is 3.6 inches. Difference of 1.1 inches at 1000 yards. I think the consensus is that it doesn’t matter. If you want to go crazy there are some 1/8 moa scopes out there.

Yeah, no big deal for big game. .1 mil at 500yds is enough to miss a squirrel though.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Been reading up on both. I understand the basics of both and have lived here and abroad so both systems comfortable for me.

Funny that Swaro in the middle of Europe makes their scope tensions and dial clicks and apps in MOA. Their ballistic apps don't even have a mil option, you have to do the math.

MOA is handier since we deal mostly in yards and inches, but at longer distances the 5% difference between .25 MOA and IPHY is not something to ignore.

I have also heard (on the forums) that a few makers interchange IPHY and MOA, where the clicks are actually 1/4 MOA but the label on the dial says "1/4"@ 100yd". Which is not really incorrect at 100 yds but is incorrect when you multiply by 10 for 1000 yd. It went largely unnoticed before the long range enthusiast phenomenon. Who would have labelled it "1 click = 67/256" @ 100 yds"?

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I use MOA cause a legal bull moose is 50” and measuring that in MOA is way faster than mils. However I’ve run both, they’re both the same to use. Your math is just different. So if you think yards then go for the MOA. If you think meters then MIL. Can’t go wrong with either one, I personally think your reticle choice is more important than the measurement system behind it.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
So if you think yards then go for the MOA. If you think meters then MIL.

This is wrong bud. Sorry. They are both measurement of angles nothing more. There isn't any magic to it. A mil scope is 3.6" at 100 yards with 10 click values. a MOA is 1.047" at 100 yards with 4 click values on most scopes.

I use both but I am switching to mils. I still range in yards and think in inches.

This thread is on the fast track to turn out like the many mil vs MOA threads that have preceded it. For the OP, the article below is a quick read on the high points.

16Bore

WKR
MQ is like having a ruler taped to your scope. Handy when reticle matches the dial.

I'm probably average, that's why I'll take the more precise firing solution...lol

I see what you did there 😁.

Would be interesting to see the following analysis done:
Pick a given ballistic curve, accuracy potential, wind read error, and 10” target. Take 15 random distances between 300-700 yards. Take the ballistic data solution in both MIL and MOA and run a WEZ analysis taking into account the very slight offset from the nearest scope adjustment to the firing solution to 2 decimals.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I see what you did there 😁.

Would be interesting to see the following analysis done:
Pick a given ballistic curve, accuracy potential, wind read error, and 10” target. Take 15 random distances between 300-700 yards. Take the ballistic data solution in both MIL and MOA and run a WEZ analysis taking into account the very slight offset from the nearest scope adjustment to the firing solution to 2 decimals.

It has been done.

There is NOT ONE HUMAN who can shoot the difference of .11 MOA at worst.