Anyone have experience with hammer bullets?

Anyone tried these or have experience with them? My buddy who is working up a load for my kimber 300wsm wants to try them out. Their website is interesting but I'd love to hear some first hand experience with them before I shell out the coin to experiment with a high end mono bullet (they are almost 2x the cost of Barnes). The only place I've seen any discussion on them is on the Long Range Hunting forum (via a google search - I'm not a long range guy). Any info good or bad is appreciated.

Axlrod

WKR
I have used Barnes for 25 years and always liked them but a few guns just wouldn't shoot them.
I have used the Hammer in 6 different guns now and they shoot tight, with very little load development.
Before I ordered any I called Hammer and Steve, the owner answered the phone and was very helpful. He offered to buy back any I didn't use. feel free to PM me if you want

Mike 338

WKR
I did a load workup for a 30-06 with the 166 gr. Hammer Hunters. Pretty easy to find a load. Total bullets shot in load workup... 17. Shot some nice groups at 100 and 517 yards. No experience on game yet. I doubt you'll find a more consistent bullet in terms of manufacturing specs and others say they do great on game.

bhylton

WKR
no experience on game for me. but load workup has been extremely easy. 12rds to sub moa in a tikka 270, 15rds in a tikka 30-06 and 15rds in a M70 325wsm which historically shot very poorly.

jhm2023

WKR
While I haven't used hammer bullets I do use the Lehigh defense controlled chaos. They seem to be the same or similar design in terms of terminal performance in how they shed petals and the base continues straight through. The controlled chaos are very deadly and I wouldn't hesitate to give the hammer bullets a try. I actually think I might or some right now for my 7 rem mag to try out on spring bear.

Hammers have performed excellent on 6 animals for me. 4 elk and 2 deer over the past two seasons. They are extremely easy to find a good shooting and performing load with probably less than 20 shots. I’ve loaded them in 4 rifles and all have been easy and quick and now shoot great.

While I haven't used hammer bullets I do use the Lehigh defense controlled chaos. They seem to be the same or similar design in terms of terminal performance in how they shed petals and the base continues straight through. The controlled chaos are very deadly and I wouldn't hesitate to give the hammer bullets a try. I actually think I might or some right now for my 7 rem mag to try out on spring bear.

I am forced to go copper due to the fact I live and hunt California. My first thoughts were to get some Hammers and some Cutting Edge bullets and see which I liked best. Then I came across the Lehigh. I like the design and the numbers look great too. I am shooting a 7 Rem Mag and a 6.5 CM. Do you have any experience with them at longer ranges? How was the load development and accuracy?

Vandy321

WKR
Tagging in, strongly considering the 199 hammer hunters, ballistics looks really impressive...comparing them to the 215 bergers and the 214 hammers out of a 300wm.

Vandy321

WKR
I ordered some 181 grain hammer hunters for my 300WM weeks ago. Still waiting on them.

They show in stock on the website...is that not the case? I dont have a ton of time between now and opening day to spin up a load...availability may be a deciding factor for me...if not, will just have to try them next year.

bradb

WKR
I have bunch of 199 sledge hammers at home. I am running out of time to do testing for a sheep, grizz, moose hunt in 2 weeks. Let me know

Djacker

WKR
They show in stock on the website...is that not the case? I dont have a ton of time between now and opening day to spin up a load...availability may be a deciding factor for me...if not, will just have to try them next year.
Vandy321,

Did you get any bullets? Mine came in as promised. I'm headed to the range to shoot tomorrow.

Vandy321

WKR
Vandy321,

Did you get any bullets? Mine came in as promised. I'm headed to the range to shoot tomorrow.

I did not yet, no. I was unsure of the timeline so I bought 500rnds of bergers to work up a load first. I'll know this weekend if I'm happy with it or not. Still would like to load up some hammer 199s after this, maybe not in time for 1st rifle, but I have a B tag for 4th rifle as well.

Would you mind posting up results from the range?

Djacker

WKR
I will, I did a 10 shot ladder test and found a good node the other day. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I've got my trusty Berger 215 hybrid load to fall back on.

mvrk28

WKR
I’ve been building a load for the 6.5mm Hammer Hunter 124gr and have found them to be great in terms of accuracy but have yet to test on game. I will be taking them to Idaho this October to see what they can do.

Djacker

WKR
The best group I got today with the 181 hammer hunter was 2.5" at 300 yards. I'm sure if I mess around with seating depth i can tighten that up.