anyone have experience with the MSR Trailshot filter?

Wright406

WKR
I have one and have used it for two seasons. I'll break down my 2 cents simply

Pros: light and compact, good backup source
Cons: very slow to fill bladders (even a nalgene)

I'm actually switching to a Steripen with pre filter cap due to how much more efficent it is over the trail shot. I think if you're a "hardcore" minimalist then the trail shot is for you.

If you like water for boiling for food and drinking then I would get something with higher output.

I have one, used it on two backpack hunts, short duration (2-3 days). It worked great for filling my nalgene and once a day filling my 4 liter dromelite bag. It’s not super fast but for 1 person water needs it works great. No issues so far.

cmahoney

WKR
Mine worked pretty good last year, I used it in some dirty water this year and it clogged way too easy. After using the trail shot for two years I think the Sawyer squeeze is a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail shot is great for low volume water needs. Super light and simple. Used it in 30 degree water and works slower than in warmer water. Hose is a bit short IMO, can be awkward to use.

I agree the hose is too short! Other than that it is great. It takes about 2x the time to pump as a full size filter but it is quick to set up and plenty fine for 1 person water in the backcountry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have run ours through the gauntlet. I like it especially if you pair it with the Trail Base set.

This was our sole water source on a two person 7 day adventure in Alaska. Glacial silt impaired the filter output to almost zero but the shaking flush procedure kept us functional. The filter is pretty toast but glacial silt us nasty. I should have filtered the water through a bandana or shirt before the prefilter.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Used the trailshot on a goat hunt. Had some merky water and the thing seemed to plug up pretty quick so we switch to a MSR pump style. I tried to clean it out when I got back but when using it again it seemed to still be restricted in flow and had adopted the swamp water taste from the water source we used. I threw it away.

I use mine as an option for areas that I think the Sawyer mini would be a pain.

nice to be able to pick water up in dryer, skinny water situations when filling up a dirty bag for the Sawyer is tough.

Your situation sounds like an in-line Sawyer could be a slick option.

Hntr4life

FNG
I just got back from a 3 day romp across the Bob Marshall Wilderness and got to thinking I could easily dump 2 lbs of weight from my water system w/ a light and reliable filter. Currently I carry a 20 oz bottle on my shoulder strap- it's ready to drink and easily accessible. I also carry a 1 liter Platypus in a side pocket, when the 20 oz bottle is gone, I refill w/ the Platypus. Fill the Platypus up and drop in a Aquatab, when I'm ready to refill the 20 oz bottle again, the Platy is ready to go. I've used this system for 10-ish years and it's definitely reliable, BUT in a water rich environ- seems like I could dump an easy 2-ish lbs (minus weight of a filter).

I was looking at the Trailshot and appears it could be just the ticket, certainly light- not sure how reliable though.

Thanks in advance
Be careful I used one a few years ago and it plunged up and there is not a great way to back flush it.

Largey

FNG
I used the trail shot and attachment last year for 7 days .... drank from streams with it and topped up my 3L Camel Back at the same time ... the gravity drain works fast and well. 20190922_101839.jpg

nsparks

FNG
I use a bag for larger volume needs but the trailshot is nice for day trips or just in case.

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from a 3 day romp across the Bob Marshall Wilderness and got to thinking I could easily dump 2 lbs of weight from my water system w/ a light and reliable filter. Currently I carry a 20 oz bottle on my shoulder strap- it's ready to drink and easily accessible. I also carry a 1 liter Platypus in a side pocket, when the 20 oz bottle is gone, I refill w/ the Platypus. Fill the Platypus up and drop in a Aquatab, when I'm ready to refill the 20 oz bottle again, the Platy is ready to go. I've used this system for 10-ish years and it's definitely reliable, BUT in a water rich environ- seems like I could dump an easy 2-ish lbs (minus weight of a filter).

I was looking at the Trailshot and appears it could be just the ticket, certainly light- not sure how reliable though.

Thanks in advance
I have it and love it.