Anyone have this issue with their Kifaru pack?

Ut300

FNG
(ETA: See video clips) I have the Kifaru Mountain Warrior pack with the duplex ultra Lite frame. The frame is an updated version from my original with a little more padding purchased in 2018. The issue I noticed was packing out my gear in CO, no extra weight with meat, but only my gear. My pack was shifting from left and right. I inspected my pack and noticed the 4 loops around my shoulder straps were extremely loose!
Fast forward after getting home I informed Kifaru and they fixed the straps (tightened them up for free...thanks Kufaru!) But I still had to pay almost $50 for shipping! I was a little pissed about that to say the least after spending $800ish. Thought for sure they would cover shipping or give me a future credit.
That being said, my 4 loops seem pretty snug so instead of my pack shifting from left or right an inch and a half, it's really only about a half inch now. Much improvement but is this still a poor, maybe outdated design? Just wondering if this has been an issue with anyone? I will say that the more weight in your pack the more noticeable it is. Not trying to bash on kifaru but wondering if this is a weak point where maybe some improvement could be made? Below is pic of loops before they fixed it. It is much better now with only a little play.

Attachments

• 20200915_213335.jpg
    20200915_213335.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I have a ton of miles on a couple Kifaru packs. The only issues I have ever had has always been my fault and easily rectified in the field in literally only a few minutes. Wear and happens, which seems to be your case. As such, I certainly would not expect Kifaru to cover or credit shipping. The fact that they fix such things free of charge is going above and beyond.

OP
U

Ut300

FNG
Appreciate the response but I will tell you that this was not "wear and tear." This was right after I got the updated frame/shoulder straps. I only deer hunt, not elk or other animals. I'm thinking a bad batch was put out? I can definitely rule out "wear and tear." So I know kifaru realized mine was defective so they fixed it for free but shipping was still on me??
The topic of my post is why have the "loop" system to begin with? I have purchased another brand pack just this season that has no loops with ZERO play left and right in the shoulder straps. With my new pack the shoulder straps are attached in a way to the frame where it's basically one unit. No play in the shoulder straps whatsoever! I still have the kifaru pack but it will mainly be for a backup.

OP
U

Ut300

FNG
They did fix it the best they could (see original post) Just saying a loop system... wrapped around shoulder straps is not 100% fixed. There is still movement left and right. I can't be the only one thats found the weak point.

bsnedeker

WKR
They did fix it the best they could (see original post) Just saying a loop system... wrapped around shoulder straps is not 100% fixed. There is still movement left and right. I can't be the only one thats found the weak point.

I wonder how your pack is actually fitting you if you are getting a ton of side-side movement. I'm guessing you have an issue with your shoulder/delta/load lifter straps. If you have those adjusted correctly you should see/feel minimal side-side movement.

I had side to side to side movemebt similiar to what you describe but i had to re adjust the shoulder strap length to get the load lofters to the corrwct spot and that fixed my issue

OP
U

Ut300

FNG

I attached some short clips that hopefully will come through. You can tell from the pics that this frame and straps are nearly near. I since had Kifaru tighten the loops up so it's probably 90% better. There will always be a little shifting from left to right with this design.

Last edited:

Read1t48

WKR
Some people refer to the side to side movement as barreling, particularly with a heavy load. My Kifaru can still have a tendency for a small amount. The advice is good - make sure shoulder steps are properly fitted and utilize the load lifters. That will resolve most of it.

curious... did Kifaru tack down the extra webbing? I haven’t watched the vids yet.

I think you need to spend a few hrs watching pack fitting videos.

How tall are you and what length frame?

To me it looks like you have the shoulder straps adjusted to short. You have the load lifters stucked all way down to the 3 bar slider.

It doesn't really look like you have the side compression very tight either.
Don't be nice suck that stuff down.

I don't think that's an outdated design as it's only about 4 yrs old.

But if you really think its a design failure just sell the thing.

wyodan

WKR
Honestly man, it should be a non issue. If you think about how this pack is designed, after properly adjusting the pack, there will be tension on the bottom of the shoulder strap right above the lumbar pad, and the load lifter will hold the top of the shoulder strap in place. A little slop in those loops will allow some movement in the pad to fit individual backs. There might have been too much slop initially, but all those loops really do is hold it close to its final position. With that said though, I still liked the previous design better.

zacattack

WKR
I don’t think those bands are supposed to work for that purpose. I think they mainly just keep the shoulder straps against the frame. Mine shoulder straps don’t even go through all of those, I only use 2 or 3 of them. The tension at the top and bottom of the straps, Delta straps and making sure your stuff is packed right should take care of the barreling as they call it.

One of the many great things about a Kifaru system is the simplicity for the average person to make the “correct” adjustments for fit with the plethora of videos out there,

Last edited:
OP
U

Ut300

FNG
Appreciate everyone's response. I will continue to work with this backpack but for now it will be my backup. I'm sure it will be better than before since kifaru tightened up the shoulder strap webbing. That's great that there is an abundance of kifaru fitting videos out there to help people out. I for one would like a pack that starts out with zero slop in rear of the shoulder straps and then make my adjustments. My new backpack as seen in the video fits like a glove and will be my goto pack. Hoping people don't get aggravated with me because I'm simply pointing something out that I think was a problem for me. If you own a kifaru, I hope you love it. I know everyone has different opinions and expectations for a pack, not to mention that every body type is different.

Appreciate everyone's response. I will continue to work with this backpack but for now it will be my backup. I'm sure it will be better than before since kifaru tightened up the shoulder strap webbing. That's great that there is an abundance of kifaru fitting videos out there to help people out. I for one would like a pack that starts out with zero slop in rear of the shoulder straps and then make my adjustments. My new backpack as seen in the video fits like a glove and will be my goto pack. Hoping people don't get aggravated with me because I'm simply pointing something out that I think was a problem for me. If you own a kifaru, I hope you love it. I know everyone has different opinions and expectations for a pack, not to mention that every body type is different.

Interesting you went with kuiu, my kuiu pack was definitely very light and comfortable but had much more side to side movement with weight and the shoulder strap broke in half 4 miles in with full camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
U

Ut300

FNG
Interesting you went with kuiu, my kuiu pack was definitely very light and comfortable but had much more side to side movement with weight and the shoulder strap broke in half 4 miles in with full camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I've noticed some subtle but yet important changes with my brothers kuiu packs over the last couple years. Fortunately mine I picked up recently had these little upgrades. I will tell you my brother and I just got back from a NV late elk hunt and he shot a damn nice 6x7. On one of the meat retrieval trips I kept thinking his frame was going to snap in half. In fact I kept telling him to check his frame for cracks when he got home. No issues at all. My other brother did wear through a kuiu hip belt (wear and tear but still functioned) because he pretty much lives on the mountain. Customer service was great and a free hip belt arrived at his door. So although my time with kuiu has been short, I was very impressed to say the least. Kuiu may not be the best pack out there but for me it fit great, was reasonably priced and has impressed me so far. I know I'm in kifaru territory on this forum and hope you guys love them that have them. I plan on keeping my mountain warrior but just might take a little time to tweak.

Jimss

WKR
It looks like the frame on your kuiu is totally flat? I’d like to see what you think of the kuiu loaded with 100 lbs vs kifaru. You might trade your kifaru frame in for a duplex if you don’t like it? I bet you won’t be disappointed! All I’ve read about kuiu is complaints with hefty loads. You may change your mind in a hurry after the first bull elk you pack out! If you are happy with kuiu…go for it!

OP
U

Ut300

FNG
It looks like the frame on your kuiu is totally flat? I’d like to see what you think of the kuiu loaded with 100 lbs vs kifaru. You might trade your kifaru frame in for a duplex if you don’t like it? I bet you won’t be disappointed! All I’ve read about kuiu is complaints with hefty loads. You may change your mind in a hurry after the first bull elk you pack out! If you are happy with kuiu…go for it!
Not sure what you meant by trade my kifaru frame in for a duplex? Don't I already have this frame? BTW, my frame is a few years newer than the mountain warrior bag. I think the bag rocks despite the little extra weight. Here's a partial view of my frame purchase if it comes across.

Not sure if you actually read my prior post of my brother's elk hunt. Yes, I was with him and I think I came close to the 100 lbs. I didn't have any complaints. The kuiu carbon fiber frame held up perfectly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211118-190957_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211118-190957_Chrome.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 50

Jimss

WKR
Kifaru makes 2 type of frames. The loops are on the lite and not on the duplex frame. You actually have the lite frame. When I was researching packs for bulky/hefty loads I saw nothing but complaints about the Kuiu. If your Kuiu fits and works for you great! All I can say is you are the exception!

Here's a post with around 5 pages about "Why no love for Kuiu packs." https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/why-no-love-for-kuiu-packs.167898/

Last edited: